The Fernandes Sustainer System

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
cruisemates

The Fernandes Sustainer System

Post by cruisemates »

Have you guys heard about this thing? I am amazed i never did as sustain is one of my main obsessions.'

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/sustain ... ainer.html

The Fernandes Sustainer can sustain any note on a guitar almost forever, even better, it it s the trick that makes sustained notes take on a pure harmonics when you hold them. VERY cool, but not an easy system to install. I think it is best to just buy a guitar with the system already installed.

Look it up on YouTube. Amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzRVwwUJ ... re=related

[youtube]WzRVwwUJgKk[/youtube]
Tabs

Re: The Fernandes Sustainer System

Post by Tabs »

Never heard of it before, pretty cool. Found this YouTube where Steve Vai is using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxEw_08e ... re=related

BR

Tabs
Be cool!

/Tabs
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Heard of it, read about it and listened to the result.
It's an interesting addition.
I wouldn't use it myself though :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I also had never heard of this one.

Is the only option the infinite sustain till the note is stopped? If so, it is a big limitation for me. See 2) below.

Has anyone encountered any demos of its capabilities when played clean?

I think as suggested by what I've said above two things are making it difficult for me to evaluate the system:-

1) I play very clean and have reached the point I can hardly listen to even very good players when the gain / distortions is cranked up - all the demos I find with the sustainer seem to be higher gain. Must be advancing years - i can't take it any more - makes me feel like my brain is bleeding! :oldie:

2) The "infinite" sustain is causing me problems in appreciating the system. I know notes from a guitar decay - I can take listening to a guitar managing a slow decay - eg with a compressor or with volume manipulation, and I can it still accept it sounds like a guitar. But when there's no decay I think my instinct is to dismiss it as a sound that is not natural for a guitar. :sad:

But having seen some of the demos like the Steve Vai I can certainly understand how it would be viewed as worth having in the higher gain / volume areas of guitar playing. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

I'm always interested in finding out about new guitar-related things and this seems pretty cool, but I'm with VB in that:

-I'm not big into high gain sounds and I couldn't find any clean examples

-The fact that it doesn't sound like a "real" guitar --> it sounds great for metal-type playing, but that's just not really my thing.
BluesLicksMaster

Post by BluesLicksMaster »

Like any tool, it's all about proper use. I'm a big Adrian Belew fan,and he uses this to get a lot of his sounds...not metal at all. Check out the stuff he did with The Bears. Awesome!

http://www.thebearsmusic.com/
"Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too..."
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

I checked back a few days ago and saw that no one had really checked this out - now you have. I should included more information.

The sustainer is an addition you add to the guitar that looks like a pickup, but it is not, it is a magnetized system that keeps any note vibrating.

Yes, it does the same on clean, but I guess clean notes sustained forever sound a little odd - like a Chapman Stick.

But - yes it does a lot more than just sustain, it has two switches (I think) where one will ring out the octave harmonic to your note (I have ALWAYS WONDERED how certain palyers get that anytime they want it) and another switch will ring out the fifth harmonic.

It is a really clever device and it can be used with average distortion, you do not need to be set on thrash distortion to make it work. There are lots of demos on YouTube but the place I saw it used best was on a demo for the eJammiing, the guy playing hits a regular A-note (14-fret, 3-string) and it just evolves into a beautiful high E ringing forever. I just knew no average guitar does that by itself. So I started googling "guitar sustain" until I found it.
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWAX%3AIT

I just bought the guitar above (I made an offer under "make an offer" and the seller accepted it). The guitar is coming to me now. This has the Fernandez sustainer on it as well as the Powerbridge.

This thing looks like a beast and I just hope I like it. It certainly has an interesting selection of parts, from the sustainer to the powerbridge to the DiMarzio pickup. I talked to the seller and he says it is a great guitar, but he just couldn't justify keeping it. We will see.

24 Frets, too.... this is a lot of guitar for one player.