BBs long long note during solo, 10+secs

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
ringtone

BBs long long note during solo, 10+secs

Post by ringtone »

I got a cd of a live version of The Thrill Is Gone, vocal & solo by BB King and his backing band AND with Kenny Wayne Shepherd trading licks with him too. Great live track. I love it, its in my head at the moment, you know what its like.. :nuts:

Anyway, during the "conversation" between these lead guitarists in the intrumental breaks (KWS admits after the gig in an interview about being more than a bit nervous and 'under pressure') BB King lets a high single note on his Gibson sort of just hang there/bloom and it lasts 10-11seconds. Its not a bending note/wiggle stick and its not just winding on the volume knob/volume pedal as far as I can tell. I have few recordings and have been to more than a few blues gigs but never heard this 'trick' before.... Anyway, I have tried to get a note to last... no way.

Any ideas?

The BB track is the standout (for me) on the Ten Days Out set. Anyone heard it? Care to share/explain how that note works?

ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Days_Ou ... _Backroads

ps - 40th Ann. of Mr Hendrix' passing today. RIP.
cruisemates

Re: BBs long long note during solo, 10+secs

Post by cruisemates »

Funny you should mention this, I am going to post a new post about something I just found that I think I should have heard about a long time ago - the Fernandes Sustainer.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

ringtone wrote:I got a cd of a live version of The Thrill Is Gone, vocal & solo by BB King and his backing band AND with Kenny Wayne Shepherd trading licks with him too. Great live track. I love it, its in my head at the moment, you know what its like.. :nuts:

Anyway, during the "conversation" between these lead guitarists in the intrumental breaks (KWS admits after the gig in an interview about being more than a bit nervous and 'under pressure') BB King lets a high single note on his Gibson sort of just hang there/bloom and it lasts 10-11seconds. Its not a bending note/wiggle stick and its not just winding on the volume knob/volume pedal as far as I can tell. I have few recordings and have been to more than a few blues gigs but never heard this 'trick' before.... Anyway, I have tried to get a note to last... no way.

Any ideas?

The BB track is the standout (for me) on the Ten Days Out set. Anyone heard it? Care to share/explain how that note works?
It's not that particular performance I've looked at but on the one below at 2:50 or so he does a long note, but there's definately a quick visit to the volume control first. Then I suppose there's a real good quality guitar, real well set up, a master player, the tendency of the semi-acoustic to feedback so if you get the balance right in volume and feedback? Well - BB KIng is a real master of the guitar and someone I will always enjoy listening to - and I love seeing the enjoyment he has in playing as well. :big_smile: :pray:

[youtube]6hgrRibBPGQ[/youtube]
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I think it's exactly that - to master the feedback perfectly. If you turn your guitar towards the amp this happens - but it needs some experience to find the right mix, feedback can not only hold a note, it can raise the level until you smoke an amp.
Turn up your amp a lot, add a bit distortion (usually works better), and control it with the volume knob and the angle or distance to the amp. :amp:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I'll test and see how long I can sustain such a note using my Epi & amp.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

No chance with my strat directly into Fender Champ 600 :icon_whoknows:
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

The note has to be fretted perfectly. Notice how he tries to do again at 3:17 and he loses the sustain after a few seconds.

My ES339 feeds back just like that but only if I hold just the right pressure on the string.

Cool!! :drool:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

BadBluesPlayer wrote:The note has to be fretted perfectly. Notice how he tries to do again at 3:17 and he loses the sustain after a few seconds.

My ES339 feeds back just like that but only if I hold just the right pressure on the string.

Well spotted at 3:17. Shows it's not that easy! I missed that - think I was writing my reply as soon as I'd seen the successful attempt and didn't notice. Not that BB seemed too fazed by it! :big_smile:

There's a lot of skill to mastering feedback.If some of us try it there's just horrible noise and squeals and cries of horror from anyone in hearing range. :yikes:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Mhhzz I can -just- do it, but my neighbours are starting to bang the walls.... ghehe I had to put Cybie on 6-7 :yikes: to get it done, turn by back on the amp and have an open space in front of me. Otherwise feedback to the MAX :whistle:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

4:12 ... :wink:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:4:12 ... :wink:
4:12 indeed - great touch and control by a master there! Not to mention great interplay with the brass. :pray:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:I had to put Cybie on 6-7 :yikes: to get it done
"6-7" ..... Hope your fillings haven't been rattled from your teeth! :big_smile:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

VikingBlues wrote:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:I had to put Cybie on 6-7 :yikes: to get it done
"6-7" ..... Hope your fillings haven't been rattled from your teeth! :big_smile:
No, those where fine... just needed clean underwear :baby:
ringtone

Post by ringtone »

Wow, thx for clues on feedback.
And thx for the video. In the Ten Days Out performance Lucille sounds more overdriven and BB is more on the mark, its a long version (masterpiece?) - 8min30secs.. the backers are superb too.

So far my most loved electric recordings are:

1. The Thrill Is Gone - BB King & KWS (Ten Days Out)
2. Fancy Man Blues - Rolling Stones (Rarities)
3. Long Distance Call - Muddy Waters (Hard Again?)
4. All Your Love - Bluesbreakers (Beano)

While we're here -- any examples of Mr Clapton doing this same trick for 10secs?
spoonful

Post by spoonful »

Cream live at The Grande Ballroom 15 oktober 1967 ;) Review:

These recordings contain the some of the very finest ensemble improvisation, jazz or rock, I have ever heard on record. Often performed at incredible tempo’s ("NSU", "I’m So Glad") and almost free form meter ("Spoonful"). Jack and Ginger are incredible soloing in ensemble: their magical link, despite (or because) of their personal differences, is in full evidence. Their playing is pure jazz just at rock’s volume and power levels.

It is Eric who is the real revelation despite his harmonic limitations. The blues based riffs and pentatonic scales are now almost melded into a new form that was to reach is apogee in March. In these recordings he hasn’t mastered it: lacking the flow and logical development of the March recordings. However he responds continuously to Jack and Ginger’s prompts which creates raw and ever changing playing. In particular his constant breaking of meter (especially prompted by the ride cymbals) and use of feedback ("NSU", "Steppin’ Out", "Toad"). I can now at last hear why he has been credited with Hendrix as the prime introducer of the use of feedback.

Jack has said that Eric became his and Ginger’s … "sort of Ornette Coleman. But we didn’t tell him!" This recording justifies that statement as Eric, like Ornette did, takes his blues based playing into new musical territory.

Cream’s performance reputation has suffered over the years compared to Hendrix’s. The remastered live sets alone put pay to that. These performances are arguably superior to anything of Jimi’s (official or bootleg) with Eric’s playing on a par with Jimi’s very best, Ginger shading Mitch and, well, Jack vs Noel, no comparison.

http://gpatt.customer.netspace.net.au/c ... llroom.htm
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks for the link! :thumbsup:
I don't agree with everything there, but he used feedback a lot, especially during Cream. The difference is that unlike i.e. Santana he seldom plays a longer note without vibrato.
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

BadBluesPlayer wrote:The note has to be fretted perfectly. Notice how he tries to do again at 3:17 and he loses the sustain after a few seconds.

I don't think the second note is an error, but that's just my opinion. All I do know is BB has such an amazing sound. incredible. Thanks for posting.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
ringtone

Post by ringtone »

BTW, regarding the BB performance (and different Lucille tone) I mentioned at the top, I may have a student's mp3 of the BB solo (mp3 at 320bps sampling, file size is 19mb) sitting in my email box.
ping me, my address is carzee @ gmail.com
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

Here's a great link to story about Lucille including a super you-tube video...

Check it out...

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/F ... king-0916/
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Golfxzq wrote:Here's a great link to story about Lucille including a super you-tube video...
Absolutely right. That is a very, very super video. BB King has avery high standard but this one is at top level. Such beautiful tones and played with such subtlety and spot the high level of concentration and involvement between player and guitar - I'm sure he's hearing the sounds in his head before/as he plays them. :clap: :pray:

The first part of the video shows the best connection I've seen across the years with elements of Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac blues playing. I see more clearly having seen this why BB King was so complementary about PG's playing.

The vocal is very strong too - shame that the voice doesn't survive the years as well as the guitar playing. Anyone got a rough idea what sort of date would belong to this film? :icon_whoknows: EDIT - Answered my own question = 1968.

Thank you for posting this one Golfxzq - you've made my day start in a very good way. :thumbsup:

Ah ... work beckons .. rats! :away:
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

Great video!! He ain't "the King of the Blues" for nothing!!

:pray: