up or down strokes?

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
spoonful

up or down strokes?

Post by spoonful »

Noticed that I almost always starts solos with an upstroke and was a bit puzzled, must I re-adjust this or just keep on playing I my own way that has suited me fo a long time. Any other "first tone" up strokers out there? I play chords with a downstroke as "the first hit".
12bar
Site Admin

Re: up or down strokes?

Post by 12bar »

If it works well - why change it?
I play fingerstyle, so in most cases thumb has downstrokes, fingers upstrokes... :think:
spoonful

Post by spoonful »

Yeah why, but I thought maybe "the fluidity" works better with an downstroke a the first hit...
BluesLicksMaster

Post by BluesLicksMaster »

I start with a downstroke, but I don't think it really matters. One of the great things about guitar is that everyone does things a bit differently, don't you think? I agree with 12bar, if it's not a problem don't worry about it.
"Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too..."
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Difficult to comment about the upstrokes as suc, as like 12bar I play fingerstyle so generally if there's a starting note on the upper strings it's by default an upstroke, although during a solo I will play downstrokes too with the finger using the back of the nail - as much for tonal variety as anything.

Good points made in posts above. If it's part of your style and you like it then keep doing it - it's difficult enough to find your own style. :thumbsup:

:aha: If ever there's a rule or accepted practice in blues playing there's nothing wrong with considering breaking it and see what happens - if it works and it's still blues music then it's a bad rule for you.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

I'll start a solo on an upstroke (or downstroke) depending on how I come out of the rythm figure preceding the solo. Otherwise, it depends on how I want it to sound. (If I am using a pick, If I am using fingers, all bets are off)
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"