What's HBL up to now

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

What's HBL up to now

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

This topic idea is born while I was fiddling with my Champ's settings for a recording.
A bit like a place to keep together all ramblings idea's and musical snipplets etc that happen over time.

Let's see how this works out. :big_smile:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: What's HBL up to now

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Today I found a BT in one of the far,far hidden corners of my hard drives and thought "What the heck, let's see what happens"

Well the Champ happened. For some reason I couldn't get it to sound like I had in mind. No matter what I tried, it was just to harsh in it's overdriven sound. :think: :think: .
Well, I recorded some try-out notes and phrases and got distracted by the sound over and over while playing. :wall: After mixing the tracks felt like throwing it all away... Until I realized that it wasn't the musical idea that put me off, but the sound. So I decided to keep the track.
While answering in another topic, I suddenly realized what had happened :aha: :aha:

Yesterday I was playing when my daughter came bursting out her bedroom and mhh.. told me she was trying to sleep ( at 20:45 after a late, late night down town (cough)).
To be able to play a little I used the attenuator in my Champ's Cabinet and turrned attenuation almost to full. I got anoyed by the sound and stopped :tease: forgetting to turn the attenuator off...... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: only to fall for that trap today :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
@#$#%$^^&%$!! To get a little more sound I added some line-out signal from the champ @ my mixer.

The combination of the two was causing the harsness of the overdriven sound. :amp: ( instead of the nice singing notes I had in mind for the track)

The track ? mhh a piece of it should do.

download/file.php?id=2571
Attachments

slow em.mp3 - (5.87 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I understand what you mean by more hovering sound. I add it in my head when I listen to you.
As usual, you play good...... :clap:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Sound engineering - with great results. :clap:
With every upload you're getting closer to Gilmour - not a bad thing, but don't forget your Blues roots! :wink:
MichaelRobinson

HBL, I listened again. Just do not forget your own style. It suits you well. Your style is unique and it takes no away from you.
As for all the technical details with the sound, I understand that it is tedious and fiddly. It can go to anyone's nerves to be sound engineers.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

"Nice singing notes" successfully achieved. Very melodic and with feeling too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attenuators can be such a real pain as far as tonal quality goes :wall: - not so much a problem if there's very heavy O/D, but playing fairly clean there can often be a major issue.

I remember the built in attenuator on a Vox tube amp, and I remember the tone being sucked away very noticeably. So far the Weber Micro Mass is the only attenuator I've used with a tube amp that keeps enough of the real tone (or what passes for tone with me) to be happy with.

Makes a change for the younger generation telling the older generation to turn it down! :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks for the listen and comments guys.
Next reply Gerd, next reply.....
VB, tellin'me.... well it's her bad, she'll bear the consequences at some time.... Image saterday night out till 3:30... thinking of sleeping in sunday.. @9.00 click.... screetch... djang.... wheeee, wheee ;)

Michael, Own style coming up, thanks :)
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

No attentuator blues this time, but some gospel blues with a guitar sound screwed up by HBL himself :wink:
Found a couple of nice BT's on the net and downloaded them.
Feld like a quick take for tasters. ( it was 20:40 and I use to stop @ 22:00 h) So I quickly fired up audition and my equipment.
activated the "right" mic channels on my mixer and started recording without even listening to the track again.

Something anoyed me, but I couldn't place it, so I quit recording and listened to the results..... What ????? a stupid hollow phasing effect that changed with the tone's frequency. What could that be :think: :think: :think:

Meanwhile my daughter came up to ask me something about Ios7 and her phone. She was closer to the mixer so I asked her to flick the switches on the two.... :yikes: :eye_rub: three active mic channels. :wall:
I answered her question and when she went downstairs I realized I had the first mic in front of the cybertwin ( 3 feet from the Champ's cabinet and mic) activated to.
Mhh bummer, but now I now what created that strange sound effect.

Learn to take your time HBL and doublecheck your settings....

Here is a raw mix af a raw strange sounding piece. Don't mind my playing and notes. It was just intended for a private quick taster, really.

download/file.php?id=2574
Attachments

Gee GBlues.mp3 - (3.46 MiB)

tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Sounds very good to my ears HBL.....very relaxed!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Well, I like this sound! Has a bit of Hendrix... guitar volume could be increased a bit!
Great playing btw. - you still play the Blues!
MichaelRobinson

Good, HBL. The song seems familiar. I think I heard it before.
You play good. The sound you're after, it seems that you still hunt. Much irritation and frustration, I guess.

Relaxed song from you and good timeing.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks Gerd and Michael, I seem to have found another factor that screwed-up my monitoring and doubled the Phase effect on my monitors.
I had my DAW set to MIX - monitoring, in stead of External. All for good :)
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Rambling on

Seems like I'm back in the musical saddle.
Yesterday I bought 2 tracks and since I kept dozing of in front of the telly, Josje told me to go and do something that would keep me awake :D

Well I took a short listen to the second BT, had a short run to determine the "style" I would use and hit record.
Let's say it raw and not my usual style of playing slowblues :cool:

Leftovers : download/file.php?id=2576

Partners in crime where Josie (Fender strat) and The SuperChamp XD.
During playing I switch from bridge/middle to neck, to bridge/middle and end with the neck pickup by itself. The last one a first time on a strat for me.

Mhh before I forget... I thought of snipping the end, since that caught me totally by surprise :yikes: But since it's raw I decided to keep it raw disregarding the wrongs :wink:
Attachments

Leftovers.mp3 - (6.92 MiB)

12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I think that BT took the best out of HBL! Truly inspiring - you've got a kick.
The PU switches sound great and at the right moment. 5 stars out of 5! :clap:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

MichaelRobinson wrote:HBL, I listened again. Just do not forget your own style. It suits you well. Your style is unique and it takes no away from you.
As for all the technical details with the sound, I understand that it is tedious and fiddly. It can go to anyone's nerves to be sound engineers.
Michael, Just remebered I thought of your response on the Technical details of "getting" a sound. It may seam tedious and fiddly, but to me it's more like a natural thing.
I love technical stuff and love fiddling around to :) so to me it's sheer fun.
Things going wrong because of my own mistakes annoy me, but on the other hand make we want to do better. Keeps me going in a way :)

Challenges wake me up, get me going. That's (I guess) the reason I just love to perform troubleshooting tasks in my day to day work. That I tend to think in a "solutions" form in stead of the "problem" form, helps a lot. I feel thinking in solutions in the positive way of approaching a issue. ( I know that won't work for everything)
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:I think that BT took the best out of HBL! Truly inspiring - you've got a kick.
The PU switches sound great and at the right moment. 5 stars out of 5! :clap:
Thanks Gerd :) Mind, the final recording might be completely different from this one, something about moods etc. :wink:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:naughty: nana - let the raw notes where they are! No polishing - please... :icon_whoknows:
MichaelRobinson

HBL

I know of others as I know my self.. Apparently I made a mistake in it. Problem is my way of seeing things without finding solutions. It's probably my depressed emotions that make me think negatively, many times.

I had a job given to solve the problem. Then I burned me out, I have become much more negative and with difficult to solve problems.
I apologize for my mistake to think you ran head on the wall with problems instead of solutions that you apparently fixes and want. Excuse my error.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

A very good one, I agree you can let the raw notes. :clap: :thumbsup:
It seems like the Fender is a tad harsher than the Tokai, but it sounds great!
Jan 15th 2007
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

MichaelRobinson wrote:HBL

I know of others as I know my self.. Apparently I made a mistake in it. Problem is my way of seeing things without finding solutions. It's probably my depressed emotions that make me think negatively, many times.

I had a job given to solve the problem. Then I burned me out, I have become much more negative and with difficult to solve problems.
I apologize for my mistake to think you ran head on the wall with problems instead of solutions that you apparently fixes and want. Excuse my error.

Michael, First of there is absolutely nothing to be sorry off or apologize for. This is 12bar, remember :) the friendliest guitarforum on the Internet, people here are not offended easily :) Not am I.
I was trying to clearify that in my case the approach to techical stuff and tone is not that of most people. I'm the exeption here, and don't mind a bit.

So don't be sorry or apologizing, you didn't say anything wrong anyway.