what does a slide do for songs

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Sonnya

what does a slide do for songs

Post by Sonnya »

:whistle:

Ok, I know on a standard guitar like playing country music one makes chords on the neck in different places according to the melody, and strums with the right..... now on the neck of a slide guitar where do you find chords with the slide, and does the position of the chord change depending on the open tuning? example question: on the top of fret # 7 = D and on 2nd fret=G with tuning in open G. Does it work like this, what does the slide do, you can't just move up and down the neck without directions, can you?
12bar
Site Admin

Re: what does a slide do for songs

Post by 12bar »

A slide works the same as the index finger of a barre chord. If you tune your guitar to open G for example, you get the G major chord using the open strings. If you put the slide on (=above) the 5th fret, you get the subdominant major chord and on the 7th fret the dominant. That's all you need for a basic Blues.
Sonnya

Post by Sonnya »

I don't understand, subdominant major chord and the dominate chord? What about key of A?
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

You might take a look at the tutorial (see above menu).
Blues usually has a I-IV-V chord progression, also known as tonic, subdominant and dominant.
If you play a Blues in E, the chords are E(I)-A(IV)-B(V).
For A they are A(I)-D(IV)-E(V).
Now if you axe is tuned to open G, you'll find the A major chord at the 2nd fret. The subdominant D ist 5 frets higher, and finally E is another 2 frets higher (7 frets in sum). Below is the A chord in open G, the only reasonable position with a slide is the 2nd fret:

Sonnya

Post by Sonnya »

Thanks for the info, I'm beginning to understand, "I think"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:thumbsup:
Otherwise just ask!