finding chords on neck w/ slide

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Sonnya

finding chords on neck w/ slide

Post by Sonnya »

:bb:
I'm completely new on slide guitar, but played 12 bar blues on flattop in key of A by putting capo on 2nd fret and making G,C,D being my 1-4-and 5 chord progression. Ok now I want to still play and sing and the key I sing best at is A. Can I use a capo on 2nd fret and what about my 1-4-and 5 chord progression? Are there A,E, and D places on the frets? And if so, what are the frets? What would be the open tuning? I was told the open A and G will warp my guitar neck, is this so? Are the chords A,E, and D available with open D tuning? Please advise, Sonny
vancouverois

Re: finding chords on neck w/ slide

Post by vancouverois »

Jan 15th 2007
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

:welcome:

I don't know enything of what you asking. I have no answer but velcome you to 12bar.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sonnya wrote:I was told the open A and G will warp my guitar neck, is this so? Are the chords A,E, and D available with open D tuning?
Open G involves tuning three of the strings down in pitch - the 6th to D, the 5th to G and the 1st to D (D,G,D,G,B,D). Open A involves tuning up the 4th string to E, the 3rd string to A, and the 2nd string to C# (E,A,E,A,C#,E). As such the open A tuning would be considered the more dangerous of the two for a guitar neck, particularly for an acoustic if there is no truss rod. A decent quality guitar with a truss rod really shouldn't be taxed by the change in tuning - consider that a change in gauge of d'Addario XL strings from just 9s to 10s involves increasing the strain put on the neck by 20% - that gives an idea of how strong a guitar neck needs to be.

As tuning down involves less tension on the neck it will tend to lower the action slightly - so if you have an already low action you might need to raise it - advice tends to be to raise the action for slide playing anyway to avoid the issue of fret noise when sliding.

If you are particularly worried about the neck issue it is possible to buy strings singly of different gauges to give the same sort of tension on each string as a normal string set would give. http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtension ... 234ba13742

There is a big list of chords for open tuning here - http://chordlist.brian-amberg.de/en/guitar/open_d/. Essentially pretty well most standard chords are available somewhere whatever the tuning.

Oh yes ... and :welcome:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Sonnya

Post by Sonnya »

Man, thanks a lot, I just asked the same question again about the neck of guitar, Thanks for the info...Sonny