Bending Vibrato

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Rickyc

Bending Vibrato

Post by Rickyc »

hi im finding it really hard to do vibrato when im bending, its just not sounding right, can anybody give me tips please?
Blindboy

Re: Bending Vibrato

Post by Blindboy »

Bent vibrato is tough. If you are bending the third string (G), try pulling it instead of pushing it. In other words bend the string toward the high E, then shake it. Whether you pull or push, try using your ring finger on the string and back it up with one or two other fingers, use the base of your index finger as a fulcrum, and bend with a twisting motion of your wrist (like you are opening a doorknob). You will want to get your bend up to pitch before you shake it. Beyond that, it is just a LOT of practice.
Good luck! :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Bent vibrato is tough. If you are bending the third string (G), try pulling it instead of pushing it. In other words bend the string toward the high E, then shake it. Whether you pull or push, try using your ring finger on the string and back it up with one or two other fingers, use the base of your index finger as a fulcrum, and bend with a twisting motion of your wrist (like you are opening a doorknob). You will want to get your bend up to pitch before you shake it. Beyond that, it is just a LOT of practice.
Good luck! :thumbsup:
Exactly - agreed on all counts. And yes, it is easier when pulling the third string down rather than when pushing it up. :thumbsup:
Give it 40 years or so of practice and it sometimes works OK. :oldie: :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Just think of it like bending up and down but faster.......not sure about bending up on the g-string, be careful with your pitch

When I started I always found it easier to get a good sounding bent vibrato than a regular vibrato, provided you were between frets 5 and 17 and bending no more than 1 step. I think this is because there is more resistance when you bend so it slows the vibrato down a bit.....I always used to vibrato too fast so it slowed me down and I got a good, slow singing vibrato rather than a mosquito buzz. Had to concentrate really hard to get a nice slow, wide regular vibrato.

I would only use my 3rd ring finger and make sure you reinforce it with your 1st and 2nd fingers, there's probably some sample clips on here or youtube if you need more help.