How to make turnarounds

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
redrooster

How to make turnarounds

Post by redrooster »

Hello everyone! it's my second post and i would like to know more about turnarounds. I know a few of them and I know more or less what they are, but i can't find a little more about this. I would like to know the "theory", and how are they build and all this things, and more important, how to make one in any place of the guitar. If there's someone here who knows a lot about it (i think that the 99,9% of this forum!) and could help me to understand and to be able to make turnarounds in all keys and parts of the guitar

a lot of thanks!!!! :big_smile:
weelie

Re: How to make turnarounds

Post by weelie »

I had a thread on turnarounds recently. though in that I said my problem lies in actually playing them, not knowing them.

There are very complicated jazzy turnarounds that I have never analyzed or played either. The ones I play basically go fret by fret from or to I or V chord. I wish I understood more, actually.
redrooster

Post by redrooster »

thanks weelie, i think would be a good idea to make a fusion between us 'cause i know to play them but i'm not knowing how to create them :rofl: . I hope that someone can help us. By the way, i've seen good information in your turnaround post that tells a little about the theory (thanks to cruisemates). I think i will begin with this stuff.
Tabs

Post by Tabs »

Hi,

maybe this Wikipedia page can be helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnaround_(music)

BR

Tabs
Be cool!

/Tabs
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Since you mentioned me I will post some of my favorite tricks: Everything is in key of A - so I will work around the box built on the fifth fret. The chords are

| E | D | A | E | <<- those are each 1 measure, four counts. Let's say this is a SLOW blues with a cut-time feel (one-and, two-and, three-and, four-and).

1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------9-----8----7---5---------------------------------
1 ----------------------------------------------5--7--5--------------------------8-----7----6---5---------------------------------
1 ---------------------------------------5^6--------------7----5----------------9-----8----7---6-------6------7---------------
1 -------5---7---9---7---5---------7---------------------------------7---------------------------------5------6-------------------
1 --7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------6------7------------------
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| E ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| A ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| E |

or try...

1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------9-----8----7---5---------------------------------
1 ----777--777--777--777----------777--777----7----5~~-----------------------8-----7----6---5---------------------------------
1 ----888--888--888--888----------777--777--7--7---5~~-----------------------9-----8----7---6------6------7---------------
1 --------------------------------------------------------------------7--------------------------------------5------6-------------------
1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------6------7------------------
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| E ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| A ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| E |
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

As far as theory goes think about this (Key of A-blues scale).

On the E-chord V-chord - the "good" notes are:

E - either 5-string;7th-fret or 3-string bend 7th-fret up to 9-fret (E-note)
G - 4-string;5th-fret
B - 4-string;9th-fret
D - 3-string;7th-fret
or basically play the e-pentatonic scale

On the D-chord IV-chord - the "good" notes are:

D - 5-string;5th-fret or 3-string;7th-fret
C - 5-string;3rd-fret or 3-string; 5th-fret
F# - 2-string;7th-fre or 4-string; 4th-fret or 6-string;2nd-fret

On the A-chord I-chord the good notes are:

A - 6-string;5th-fret or 4-string;7th-fret or 2-string;8th-fret bend-up to A-note (10th-fret equivalent)
C# - 3-string;6th-fret or 5-string;4th fret or 3-string 14th-fret bend up to C# 16-fret equivalent
E - 3-string;9th-fret or 5-string;7th-fret or 3-string;7th-fret bend up to 9th-fret equivalent E-note
G - 4-string;5th-fret or 3-string;12th-fret

Now, I am just saying these are sweet notes to look for on each of these chords while playing the regular A-blues scale. Not just in the turnaround but all the time.
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

By the way - this is a cool blues turn around for bass players that can be played over the last I-chord to V7 chord change.

1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 -----------5-4-------------------3-2---------------------------------------------------------------
3 -----------------------3-2------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 -------5--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~| A~~~| F#min~~|Bmin~~|E7~~~~| or
~~~~~| A~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|E7~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

In the key of A, the chords are really A - F#min - B-min - E7
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Wow...

I read that Wikipedia article on turnarounds - quite the essay. I started reading about substitution chords and they talk about the minor ii in the first inversion, which was popular with Beethoven and Moonlight Sonata.... la la la

Basically, that is the magic chord in "Something" by George Harrison at the turnaround.
The song is in C,

C Cmaj7 C7 F
D G
Amin G#/Amin Amin7 D

F |Db G | C |- do it like this:

1 -----1------------1-----3------3--------
1 -----1------------2-----3------5--------
1 -----2------------1-----4------5--------
1 -----3------------3-----5------5-------
1 -----------------------------------------
1 -----------------------------------------

I also have a song where I do this turn around ( in G )

|G Eb9 |Ab9 D |

which is close to what they talk about in that essay - but that wikipedia piece is not very blues oriented.
Tabs

Post by Tabs »

cruisemates, thanks for sharing your favourite tricks.

I agree the wikipedia is not very blues oriented but it inspired me to try to work out the blues turnaround theory for myself, if I get something good out of it I'll post it to my blog ig the future.

BR

Tabs
Be cool!

/Tabs