Strumming patterns

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
jon40uk

Strumming patterns

Post by jon40uk »

Not sure if this suject has been posted before. Sorry if it has, but..............

Can someone please tell me, how do you work out the strumming pattern of a song?, bearing in mind I already know the song, but dont know how to play alone with it. Also have the chords for the song, so I guess i'm halfway there so to speak.

Thanks in Advance
Jon
Blindboy

Re: Strumming patterns

Post by Blindboy »

I've been thinking on this one... It is a tough one for me to answer, because I don't really strum. I play with my fingers, so I will usually hit a bass note with my thumb and then pluck or arpeggiate the rest of the chord. (full chord or partial, depending on how I want it to sound) Sometimes I will use actual fingerstyle patterns or strum occasionally. If I am covering a song that requires strumming (for instance during the vocal, as in SRV's Mary Had a Little Lamb) I will usually just copy the pattern of the artist I am covering.
This probably doesn't help much :icon_whoknows: but my best advice is to listen a lot and experiment with what you hear.
Good luck. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Strumming patterns

Post by 12bar »

I'm of no help either :icon_whoknows: because I always tend to pick some patterns. But when I do it, I don't even think about, it comes naturally. So - maybe - let your fingers do what they want... :music2: