Guitarist Magazine-Guitar Recording Guide

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
VikingBlues

Guitarist Magazine-Guitar Recording Guide

Post by VikingBlues »

Every month I think I'll not get Guitarist Magazine next month - I'm not wanting to buy a guitar just now, and certainly not one in the usual thousands of pounds range that mostly get reviewed.

BUT ... usually there's something on the next months cover that I think "That looks interesting". Often some blues based item.

This month there was no blues item teaser on the cover and I thought I might get away with it but there was "Record Your Guitar Now". Advice, Step by Step Guide, and 4 set ups with "no jargon", "photo walk throughs" and "gear recommendations".

So another purchase of the mag, and moving to the index of articles for the page reference I find this article wil teach me "everything you "NEED TO KNOW".

It turns out everything I need to know can be covered in 8 pages, at least 3 1/2 pages of which are pictures and fancy graphics. Now Viking don't judge a book by it's cover lets look at the detail. :naughty:

"Get your audio talking to your computer" ..... covered in just over 50 words. :sad: "Monitoring and latency" covered in 50 words. :thumbsdown: If only I'd known how easy it was to answer members questions on this site where there have been computer recording issues.

To be fair it does give a well laid out overview of the basic options - dedicated recorder, using a computer, interface and software options etc. But ... "everything you NEED TO KNOW" ... well really!!! :roll:

Interesting that their recommended gear for recording with computer at 4 price levels of £815, ££1650, £2520, and £5850. (Dollars = $1235, $2500, $3815, $8850; Euros = 980, 1985, 3030, 7035). These 4 levels are summarised by the phrase "skinted or minted" [skint = British slang for having no money]. Hmmm - so there's where I went wrong. I'm at only about 50% of the bottom range and I have a recording interface they don't even list, and recording software that they don't even list. Ahhh, Viking you disappoint me - you're such a cheapskate, you're not even "skinted". :motz:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Guitarist Magazine-Guitar Recording Guide

Post by 12bar »

Me, too - my recording gear costs 50 Euros (just the toneport), all software freeware, so now I know why my sound is so poor - I'm skinted! :lol:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

HI VB
I am a subscriber to Guitarist ( Christmas Pressie ) so I get it every month a bit earlier than it hits the newstands.

When I saw the article .I thought .... H'mm that might be a useful reference point for
a) me and
b) 12 bar website members

But having read it............... and got virtually nothing from it ... nothing especially useful !!

I decided not to post anything on here. ............I think it does more to confuse readers than help them " know everything "

I might well drop an e-mail to the magazine though ....as its such a poor article and for those people who no nuttin , or don't have a resource like 12 bar ......it woulld be more than daunting to think that you had to spend £815 just to make a start on recording yourself on a guitar !!

Also the've missed out much of the cheaper end of the market
Boss micro and zoom recorders etc

The other bit they don't help with at all ....is having got all this lovely kit ....how you actually use it !! and thats a whole different ball of wax ....so some tips on how to use a DAW would at least have made the article somwhet useful

No Marks !! Guitarist !! ....pity... its normally an OK read and some of the tabs and exercises are sometimes useful.
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Hi Strummer - agreed with what you've said there. :thumbsup:

Guitar Buyer Magazine ran a "Recording Guitar" section last year (around spring 2009). It ran for 4 issues and was a lot more in depth than this Guitarist Magazine one. Although I would still quibble with Guitar Buyers description of "Ultimate Guide" it was a much better effort that deseved to be taken seriously.

Jeez - the money I've spent on these magazines in the last 3 years - I could have bought a Highway 1 Strat instead!! :yikes:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I didn't read the article yet, but I have noticed for a while that you need to have a good deal of... mhh... prior knowledge on these kind of subjects.
Problem is that with that knowledge, the new or maybe rather added info coming from such article is too little to justify the purchase.

Most of the time I buy and read the German magazine "Gitarre und Bass" and like it a lot ! (I was raised close to the German border so I learned German almost like a 2nd language, althouhg my writing stinks)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Yep, that's a rather good mag. I have plenty of them from the 90's somewhere on the attic, so if you like, they are yours - I have no space to store them after changing my home office to a playroom :baby:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

tempting......
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I guess that "Gitarre und Bass" is likely to be the same publication as Guitar and Bass magazine in the UK.

Guitar and Bass is my favourite of the guitar magazines in the UK - it is the only one that mentions with any regularity the names of obscure brands like Tokai..... :aha: I suppose the other magazines are not inclined to mention such brands as there's no advertising revenue likely! :naughty: CYNIC!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I don't think they're related...
http://www.gitarrebass.de/
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:I don't think they're related...
http://www.gitarrebass.de/
You're quite right - they are different. Viking jumps to conclusions again without checking!

I suppose it IS an obvious name for a guitar magazine, although the UK one came out of Guitar Magazine and Bass Magazine merging a few years back.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Get this one:
12barmag.jpg
12barmag.jpg (26.57 KiB) Viewed 13836 times
:big_smile:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:shy:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:lol: :thumbsup:
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:thumbsup: We all get the electronic version, it is a GREAT mag. and the price is RIGHT !!! :thumbsup:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford