Some general soloing advice

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Blackhorse

Some general soloing advice

Post by Blackhorse »

I found this on another site, and I thought it was the best soloing advice I'd seen in a long time, and equally useful for beginners and advanced musicians.

How to Play Less and Solo More Creatively

I can't forget a story I once read in one of Miles Davis' biographies.
It was about a conversation between Miles and John Coltrane.
Miles was tired to death of Coltrane’s never ending solos and asked him to make them shorter...to which Coltrane said: "I just can't stop playing!" - Miles answered: "Just take your horn off your mouth!".

It's that simple.
I think as guitarists we have all been guilty to play too much, too loudly...

In my search for a more Inspired approach to soloing, I experimented different strategies.
Something that really helped me to play more creatively was to learn to "not play".

That's right!

I’ll give you a a practical example:

Divide a twelve bar blues into three sections, each one comprising 4 bars.
Start soloing over the first 4 bars and then stop. After 4 bars, start playing again, and so forth. Invert the order. Rest 4 bars then play...

Pick out different bar groupings. You should also try odd combinations: play for 3 bars, rest for 2. Stop for 1 bar play for 3, etc...

You will soon discover that you can loosen up more, come up with more creative ideas and you will develop the ability to "say" something interesting without even being conscious of it.

You will also start listening to what your band mates are doing, what chords the bass player is outlining, the rhythmic ideas introduced by the drummer etc... you will also start suggesting ideas to the rest of the band.

However, this will take dedication and focus.

You should be working on this at least 30 minutes/practicing session.
You sit down on a comfortable chair, and practice all possible combinations. Experiment with different types of accompaniment. One day you use a metronome, another day a sequencer, another day even no accompaniment at all!
Try different styles as well...see what happens playing over a swing tune, then a Latin one and so on.
Of course you should try this approach on different chord changes. Try “II V I” progressions and then see what happens with standards.

Important!
After you practice consciously, get up, make yourself a cup of coffee and chill...
Then spend something like 10 minutes playing just for the fun of it...

You’ll notice immediately how this approach dramatically changes your playing from the feedback you’ll get from your audience. People will feel that something is going on, a story being told...they’ll stop chatting to pay attention to your music...that is incredible experience, believe me.

I remember a rehearsal with a jazz big band years ago...
I didn’t like the conductor very much but he said something that I still remember:

“When you are soloing, imagine that you are getting paid for the notes you are not playing”

That is an interesting point of view ... and a smart way to make more money :-)

Here's a link for anyone interested; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055879334

Applies to blues just as much as jazz, imo.
VikingBlues

Re: Some general soloing advice

Post by VikingBlues »

Nice post Blackhorse - listening to what the other players are doing and reacting creatively to it is good advice. It adds hugely to the enjoyment of creating music too. :banana:

Another helpful thing I find which has something in common with what you've said:-
Imagine your guitar is singing, has lungs and needs to breathe. It's that silence thing again. If a singer sings hundreds of notes a minute it sounds like hysteria, not music. :thumbsdown: Playing fewer notes and silences also gives you the chance to imagine what you are going to play and the sort of sound you want - with practice you will get better at what you play being close to what you're imagining.

On this site HBL is a big fan of playing the silences and it's one of the reasons I enjoy listening to his recordings. :big_smile:

Also if you hear your guitar is singing it will most likely want to sing melody - it doesn't have words it can sing to tell a story, so it has to use shades of tone and variety in how notes might be played - slid up to, bent down from, hammered on, pulled off, subtle variations in timing etc. I wpuld rather listen to silence and subtle shadings than machine gun technique and I'd rather play the silences and subtle shadings too.

It's not easy though. :wall:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
elborgo

Re: Some general soloing advice

Post by elborgo »

Thanks for the tips guys :thumbsup:

Some great advice here, and some killer quotes!
“When you are soloing, imagine that you are getting paid for the notes you are not playing”
I have to admit, that blew my mind :yikes:
"and if you wanna get high
close to the sky
welcome to the mountains"