What trem does Beck use?

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
kiwiclapton

What trem does Beck use?

Post by kiwiclapton »

Hi guys, what trem did/does Jeff Beck use, a standard Fender one or something like a Floyde Rose?
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
VikingBlues

Re: What trem does Beck use?

Post by VikingBlues »

I've seen some stuff on this and it appear that Jeff Beck is a bit of a mystery man on his setups. :icon_whoknows:

I have seen it said that he does his own set up work and all his guitars including the trem are custom. Where he gets guitars from Fenderthey're apparently built to the specs he gives them.

I've seen 75% downward movement and 25% upward for the degree to which he likes his trem to float - allows bending up a full tone.

Relatively low action, light guage strings, all points on the trem / nut etc highly lubricated. The low action / lower saddles are supposed to help in getting the freedom of movement he achieves. It is also believed that he tweaks the angle of the necks of his guitar and has the neck dead straight with no relief - allows for an unusually overall low action with no buzzing (with the less extreme vibration of the lighter strings).

There seems to be some dispute over how many springs he uses on his setup. :roll:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
weelie

Re: What trem does Beck use?

Post by weelie »

I read the Beck biography but all I remember was that he said he starts a tour on light strings and then moves up to 11s as thicker strings mean better tone.

His trem appears to be American series strat style, not a floyd rose, and has a roller nut. He has a Fender signature strat, and I see no reason he would not basically use that. http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0119600805

And of course: no pick.