Fret size.

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Bluesmole

Fret size.

Post by Bluesmole »

The more I look closely at pro guitar players, the more I wonder about the advantages and/or disadvantages of 'Jumbo' frets as against the pretty standard 'medium jumbo' found on many standard (non-customised) electrics. Is there an advantage for Blues players like no choking out on bends? I know some of you guys are very technical. Here's hoping for some answers.
:icon_whoknows:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
elborgo

Re: Fret size.

Post by elborgo »

I have jumbo frets on my highway one strat... I don't like them anymore.. too big.. especially after i tried the clapton signature with his tiny frets :P
"and if you wanna get high
close to the sky
welcome to the mountains"
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

I prefer smaller frets, makes sliding (with fingers, not talking about a bottleneck here) easier for me, and I don't have any trouble with bends - at least not with lighter strings. I find smaller frets faster in gerneral.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blackhorse wrote:I prefer smaller frets, makes sliding (with fingers, not talking about a bottleneck here) easier for me, and I don't have any trouble with bends - at least not with lighter strings. I find smaller frets faster in gerneral.
Couln't have put it better. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The main reason I can be more fluent on my Tokai LC85 than my Hagstrom Viking Deluxe is the smaller frets on the Tokai - shame that, as the Viking has great tone. But for me the taller frets get in the way and interupt the flow of my fretting fingers. :sad:
Like you Blackhorse I find the samller frets no problem at all for bends compared to teh bigger frets - that is I am equally lacking in competence whichever size of fret it is!!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Thanks for the replies Bluesmen! I was expecting someone to tell me that you get more 'feel' with higher frets. I can see the point of having them on a guitar set up for slide. At least I can put that question to the back of my mind now!! :high5:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

AFAIK bigger frets are supposed to make bending easier, because there's more room to get your fingers under the string to bend it, and I could see how that would help with heavier strings. But with fairly lights strings (9s an 10s) I find smaller frets fine.
fredm

Post by fredm »

Blackhorse wrote:AFAIK bigger frets are supposed to make bending easier, because there's more room to get your fingers under the string to bend it,
I have only been playing for 18 months now but I seem to have graduated to larger frets. My last purchase was a Fender Road Worn with 6105 frets (narrow and high) for exactly the reason mentioned by Blackhorse.
I feel I have better control of the string and I also feel I can play with a lighter touch compared to smaller "vintage" frets.

I have three strats at the moment with three different fret sizes. The smaller the frets the more string buzzing I have especially if I have to stretch to reach a note. Also my fretting hand gets tired quicker too from having to use extra effort.

I can see why some may say sliding is tricky but I don't seem to have any trouble, I guess because of the light touch I can use.

I had an American Standard (medium jumbo frets) for 12 months and as soon as I tried the Road Worn with the 6105's I knew they were for me. I have had the guitar a month now, and can't see me going back down in size again.

Gotta sell or re-fret the other guitars now I guess.