What's an Arpeggio?

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
MojoJim

What's an Arpeggio?

Post by MojoJim »

I've read the simple explanation that says an arpeggio is just the notes of a chord played one after another instead of all together. But I've also read more complicated explanations that say:

It's the notes of a chord played in order. That implies that depending on the chord voicing and chord shape that you choose you may have to jump around the strings in order to put the notes "in order". Is that right? :think:

Is an arpeggio the notes of just the major triad or any chord whatsoever? :icon_whoknows:

Does an arpeggio always start on the root note?

Is it limited to the chord notes within one octave?

One explanation says that you play every other notes in a scale to create an arpeggio. That sounds like the chord notes - but I wonder if it implies other concepts that I'm not seeing.

How (and when) is an arpeggio used? It sounds like it's somewhere between an strum and a melody line. Is it only used as an embellishment?

Does a slow strum of the chord notes qualify as an arpeggio?

Are there any qualifiers that are added to the term "arpeggio"? Major arpeggio vs. minor arpeggio for example.

Any inputs/clarifications will be appreciated. :pray:
12bar
Site Admin

Re: What's an Arpeggio?

Post by 12bar »

In this case Wikipedia is quite accurate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpeggio
It will answer most questions... although the limitation to classical music for guitar is quite wrong.
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

MojoJim wrote:I've read the simple explanation that says an arpeggio is just the notes of a chord played one after another instead of all together. But I've also read more complicated explanations that say:

It's the notes of a chord played in order. That implies that depending on the chord voicing and chord shape that you choose you may have to jump around the strings in order to put the notes "in order". Is that right? :think:

Is an arpeggio the notes of just the major triad or any chord whatsoever? :icon_whoknows:

Does an arpeggio always start on the root note?

Is it limited to the chord notes within one octave?

One explanation says that you play every other notes in a scale to create an arpeggio. That sounds like the chord notes - but I wonder if it implies other concepts that I'm not seeing.

How (and when) is an arpeggio used? It sounds like it's somewhere between an strum and a melody line. Is it only used as an embellishment?

Does a slow strum of the chord notes qualify as an arpeggio?

Are there any qualifiers that are added to the term "arpeggio"? Major arpeggio vs. minor arpeggio for example.

Any inputs/clarifications will be appreciated. :pray:
Hey Jim -

An arpeggio is when you play a chord or chord shape with your left hand but pick the strings individually with your right hand. Anything that fits that definition is an arpeggio. It's usually done to play a lead line, but it's easier to play the left hand part because you just leave it in the chord position while you pick individual notes. It's basically an easy way to play lead lines.

You don't have to play the notes in any order. The notes don't have to be related to each other in any particular way, like within an octave or related to each other in any way. You could play the three worst sounding random notes in the world and they would still be an arpeggio, as long as you your left hand kept the same shape as you picked the strings individually. They might be a lousy sounding arpeggio, but they'd still be an arpeggio.

A slow strum is not an arpeggio, but if you pick the strings individually in the same order, it is an arpeggio. Kind of an acedemic distinction, I guess.

The simplest kind of arpeggio is like the intro to Red House, from 0:02 to 0:10, where Jimi frets two strings at once and holds them down while picking them individually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbqchLSjAaI
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Hi MojoJim

I think you'll find that arpeggio's are used pretty much thoughtout this sites favorite toon !!
Guitar 2 plays arpeggios all the way through the song I think .............I'm quite surpised you didn't mention it 12 bar ??!! :icon_whoknows:

G D/F# C D G D/F# C D

[youtube]NaMuBX4aMmw[/youtube]

12 bar ................this arpeggio is for yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :rofl:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

The Allman Brothers version of 'Stormy Monday' has a lovely, jazzy arpeggio at the end of the intro. I love to use it.!! :cool:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
Musisource

Post by Musisource »

Hi Jim,

BadBluesPlayer, hit it right on the nail...

Musicians Resources
http://musi-source.blogspot.com A blog for musicians, free tips and articles on the music industry. From learning to play to recording, and marketing music. Musicians Resources is a trusted resource blog, by a musician for musicians.
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Thanks, guys, for the education and the examples. I've listened to all the examples you referred me to. Arpeggios apparently show up in a lot of different contexts. Very interesting.

BBP - thanks for such a complete explanation. I would not have thought of a two note arpeggio - but Jimi sure makes it work in Red House. :thumbsup:

Bluesmole - the arpeggio at the start of Stormy Monday sounded so good I had to look up the tab and the chords for the song. So now I've added a really cool arpeggio to my repertoire. I'm stil working on the C9 chord though. :music1:

Strummer - it's strange that 12bar referred me to Wikipedia (which was a good article) instead of the excellent example that you gave. I've heard that it's one of his all-time favorites. :whistle:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:motz: :wall: :angry: :cry:

:nuts:

I'll never play an arp again!
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Its amazing to listen to the lyrics of Womderful Tonight. I just finished reading Patty Boyd's book about her life, you prolly know she was married to George Harrison until Clapton wooed her away from her, but he was pretty tragically alcoholiv the whole time they were together. She talks about the night he wrote that songh, and it was just how it happened; they were going to a party and she used to take a long time getting ready - their life was like sheer quiet times puctuated with wild parties. She kept changing clothes and he was fidlling with his guitar. Finally she came back into the room and he played the song for her.

A lot of simple songs come that way - just pick up the guitar and hum a tune.

It's sad, though, the second verse also describes their life - he used to polish off two liters of brandy (with lemonade) every day - and just to play a concert date he had handlers who would make him stop drinking about 4:00 pm until showtime. Afterwards he would get blotto again. The second verse tells it like it is "after the party, my head is splitting wide, I throw her the car keys and let her drive, she helps me get into bed and as I turn out the light I say, yes my dear you look wonderful tonight."

Sad. Patty Boyd now spends her life wondering if she ever should have left George, according to the end of the book.
iseker

Post by iseker »

An arpeggio is playing the notes of a musical chord one after another in sequence, within a piece of music, , rather than ringing out simultaneously. Normally, all notes of a chord are played at the same time. If you need some introduction to using arpeggios in blues you can check this article from Tommaso Zillio : Using Arpeggios in Blues
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Something in your (first!) post makes me think it's spam. :think:
Let's see if we get a response...