Splanky, great blues

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Thaumiel

Splanky, great blues

Post by Thaumiel »

Splanky is a song by Neal Hefti, that Count Basie turned into a great big band swing piece.
The form is a jazzy 12 bar blues, complete with all those extended chords and substitutions and everything that jazz musicians like.

I found the chords in a book and ran them into BiaB, and also played along with the most famous recording, that from the album "The Complete Atomic Basie". And I instantly fell in love with playing this song - with some feel, some vibrato, bending and slides it really makes a great blues: it sounds incredibly hot because of the swing timing, and it's very fun to play. And since the main lick of it is directly taken from the Db blues scale, complete with the flatted fifth and all, it really, really works as a blues.

I'm afraid I have no idea how to record, or I would be all over that, but I will try and make a lead sheet if anyone wants it.

Just thought I'd share this discovery with the board, make a good first impression and maybe provide something. :) :aha:

(The Count Basie recording should be the first result if you search "Splanky" on YouTube, but I didn't want to post a direct link because I'm not entirely certain about the copyright status on doing so).
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Splanky, great blues

Post by 12bar »

A link to youtube is OK, the copyright problems are over there :big_smile:
If you like to record, I've written a simple instruction at http://12bar.de/homerecording.php .
You can then upload your piece in the Blues Room :dance:
Thaumiel

Post by Thaumiel »

Now we're talking. That's a great guide! But shouldn't I get an external audio interface / audio card? I've noticed that the recording quality is, to say the least, questionable, and that there is a lot of latency - in other words, sound lag?

Other than those auxillary questions, I will have a lot of use of that guide, thank you very much!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Any up to date soundcard will do the job. Latency is often a problem, but there are solutions, depending on your hardware. First one is trying the ASIO driver and playing with the settings. What's your gear?
I use the toneport usb soundcard, it's great for XP but has problems with Win 7.
Thaumiel

Post by Thaumiel »

My total gear, so far, is the guitar (An Epiphone LP Standard), and a practice amp (Kustom Tube 12A), and a cord. That's what I have and what I use.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

If the amp has a line out (headphone etc.) connect it to your soundcard, either line in or mic in.
Install ASIO drivers and for example Audacity - both are free. Then try to record... :snacks:
Thaumiel

Post by Thaumiel »

Oh. I thought I was supposed to plug the guitar right in. I did that two years ago or something on my MacBook (think I got the idea from your site, actually), but that result was... discouraging. Of course, no wonder, since it was a second generation MacBook with built-in speakers and the onboard sound card. ;)

I will get one of them plugs and try your idea, thank you!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

You can do that, but then you need a software amp like ReValver or an audio software that handles VST-plugins. On the page above there's is a solution for the free but outdated Kristal software.
Otherwise the signal is simply too low.
Thaumiel

Post by Thaumiel »

So, through the amp then. Excellent.
Should I get some effects or pedals, or can one simple have plugins that takes care of that?