Guitar 'Speed training' on CREAM Crossroad Solo´s

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Kalle

Guitar 'Speed training' on CREAM Crossroad Solo´s

Post by Kalle »

Hi Guys
My summer Guitar training (on my own) is to learn how to play Eric Claptons (early Cream) "Crossroad" solos in full speed.
Just now I am working on the long intro and can maybe play the fast parts in 70% speed.
The funny thing is that I have checked lots of Eric Clapton versions of Crossroads on YouTube and it is only in the early Cream versions(1968 recordings) that he plays at the highest speeds. The Cream 2005 (live) version is much slower and has not as many guitar solos.
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
VikingBlues

Re: Guitar "Speed training" on CREAM Crossroad Solo´s

Post by VikingBlues »

I have the impression there was a lot more anger and issues surrounding EC back in the Cream days - that and the tensions between the individuals in the group maybe contributed to faster more aggressive playing - I suspect they were all trying to outdo each other on speed at times! I see what you mean about the 2005 live Cream gig having a slower version, though I don't feel the performance is harmed at all by the lower speed.

You're doing well to have got to 70% of speed already. Good luck with the project. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
craigcollins

Re: Guitar 'Speed training' on CREAM Crossroad Solo´s

Post by craigcollins »

EC claims that he hates the early version of crossroads. He is quoted as saying that the timing of the song is all over the place and mainly blames Ginger Baker for this . Can,t remmember where i read this but it,s definitely what he said. If you notice, he never plays the song at the speed of the original live recording at the Windsor blues festival in 1966 i think it was. Shame really as it,s consistantly voted as one of the great solo,s. I love Erics playing and seen him a few times but for me ,the " modern " version of crossroads lacks the raw aggression of the original version.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Guitar 'Speed training' on CREAM Crossroad Solo´s

Post by 12bar »

craigcollins wrote:EC claims that he hates the early version of crossroads. He is quoted as saying that the timing of the song is all over the place and mainly blames Ginger Baker for this . Can,t remmember where i read this but it,s definitely what he said.
http://12bar.de/solocream.php#Crossroads :lol: