BB King at Glastonbury

Talking Blues, news, cool links
VikingBlues

BB King at Glastonbury

Post by VikingBlues »

Not a great deal of blues on day 1 at Glastonbury, but a certain BB King did turn up! :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/festivals/gl ... ts/bbking/

The highlights video is just under 40 minutes - hope it's available to watch for those of you outside the UK.

Remarkable for a near 86 year old - I'm hoping this shows how playing guitar can keep you young at heart.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Bluesmole

Re: BB King at Glastonbury

Post by Bluesmole »

Great to see the old gentleman. He's lost a lot of weight!
I hope you watched Sister Rosetta later on the same channel.
Could that woman play the guitar!!!! :music2: :music2:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Thanks for posting the link VB !! Glastonbury is one heck of a festival and just huge !!
Something like 15 main stages and a whole host of other "Performance areas" ...and 170,000 people and mud a plenty.

Festivals are not my thing , and this one , with the weather and the mud is a deffo.... No way !! from an even "thinking about attending" viewpoint

But some great bands lined up over three days and much of it ..or edited highlights anyways on BBC Tv.... Great to be a TV watcher for this stuff !!!

I watched a bit of BBK and felt that although the crowd were very kind and warm towards him ..it was more because of who he is and his legend ...
Not his set ............Wrong kinda of venue for him , I feel he needs a much more intimate setting these days... in order to really connect and do his thing. .. and ( like us all) he's getting on ....................and I just hope he doesn't go on a tad too long.

Glasto has some oldies this year ........Paul Simon on Sunday at 69 years and Don Mclean at 65 I think .......but BBK is the grandaddy of 'em all.
Watching U2 a bit later friday night ( not my bag , but they have an amazing back catalogue to dip into) and from a Guitar technical viewpoint you really have to hand it to "The Edge" for his ability to play live and hit every riff and every note spot on....almost as good if not better than the studio ...Some guitarist. :thumbsup: all credit.

Coldplay tonight and it will be interesting to catch Beyonce on Sunday !! :D .... I'm not a fan .....but she's great eye candy for sure :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

My uncle is playing at Glasto again this year, he played there last year. He is the drummer in a band called Carmen Ghia & The Hot Rods, a sort of swing/jive 50's style band, much the same as Imelda May...only better. They were on the Bourbon Street stage tonight (Saturday) so look out for footage of them.
As for B.B., of course he is a legend and has always said he will keep on going until he dies, I also agree that a small intimate venue suits him much better these days, "Give me some talking music boys" then he tells an interesting blues tale from his countless decades in the business, just doesn't work at a place like Glastonbury.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm finding the headline acts a bit of a let down (not unusual for me). Found very little of interest in the other acts either to be honest - must be getting old. :oldie:

Day 1 enjoyed BB King more than U2

Day 2 enjoyed Elbow more than ColdPlay.

I think the last time I enjoyed a headline act at Glastonbury was 4 years ago with the Who. Roger Daltreys voice was struggling at times - pity the poor vocalists having to use 60+ year old vocal chords, while the guitarists can change their strings - but the energy of the whole groups performance was immense. Interesting too how Pete Tonshend sounds like Pete Tonshend whether he plays a Strat, SG, Les Paul .....

QCik-DIkpU0

BUT .. so little blues at Glastonbury. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Damn. I can't see it!!!
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

None of the vids is available over here :wall:
But,thanks to google, some proxi servers will do it. :peace:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Absolutely nothing to do with the Blues ..........but everything to do with music , putting it out there and sheer class

Final night of Glasto was a belter (IMO) .just talkent all over the palce ... 69 year old Paul Simon belting out some good old stuff ...not quite "On Song" as he had a cold.
and the final acts all on at the same time of different stages in Glasto ( there are a lot of stages !!) what a great experience ..........

Cool and the Gang ........what hits they have!! on the "West Holts stage ...........
Kaiser Chiefs, Queens of the Stone Age ....... on the "Other" stage
Susanne Vega on the "Acoustic stage"

which one would you head for ????

Oh !! .....and ........................

and the Queen of Bootylicoius .............Beyonce headlining on the "Pyramid stage"

I am not a fan of that sort of music ..but you just can't fail to be impressed with her presence and her voice ..........and "her" !!
She sang , she danced , she rocked it up , she engaged with the crowd and got 100,000 folk singing and waving

and not 1 ounce of "Prima Donna" .........

she was just professional and got on with the job ......no dress changes ....One very fetching outfit .Big Hair , and long legs ..................Respect !! :pray:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml

Been quite a weekend !! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011