Music Support Group Jam Session

Talking Blues, news, cool links
MikeJackal

Music Support Group Jam Session

Post by MikeJackal »

I thought I would fill you all in on some recent developments in my life with regards to playing. As most of you will know I started jamming over at my Dad's house and from there started attending the open mic night in the local pub which I've really enjoyed.
Well I recently started seeing a new Councillor to deal with my various states of mental-ness. He told me about a music group that gets together every Friday in Sheffield and just have a bit of a jam. I've been three times now and I must say It's been fantastic, all of the people are really nice and most have them have various mental health issues so there is no one there to judge you on the standard of your playing. I went today and we jammed from 12:30 until 4:30 so a good long session. Some of the guys have original songs that they like to play and we just join in, then we play covers and the rest are just when someone plays a lick, we pick up on it and go for it.
Today's best song for me was when I got them to play my version of I've Got A Mind To Give Up Living, there was a drummer, bass, keyboards and 2 guitars and we really hit our groove, I played rhythm while we all knew what the changes were while the other guy solo'd, then he took over and I solo'd, then we starting bouncing off each other, he plays a lick, I copy it and visa versa. We must have be playing that song for a good 20 minutes maybe longer.
It has just been a huge step forward to me and it leaves me looking forward to next week before we've even finished.
One of the guitarists just bought a new amp and he brought it along and let me play through it all day, a Fender Super Champ. It has built in effects and 14 different amp models, but it is a tube amp at the same time, really a great amp.

All in all I'm feeling a lot happier in my life and this has been a big part of it, now all I need is a regular band to practice with and start gigging.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Re: Music Support Group Jam Session

Post by VikingBlues »

Great to hear this Mike. Glad you've found this group - it sounds like it'll be of great help to you - and be a lot of fun too! :thumbsup:

Music sure is a wonderful thing. :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
roswellj

Post by roswellj »

That's great. The music is always better to play when your playing with people with similar experiences in life.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Good news! Playing with others is one of the best ways to grow musically.
I'm not surprised that you feel good about this... as John Lee Hooker said, "the Blues Is the Healer". :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

MikeJ ... sounds like a great bit of Music therapy matey ...........and one heck of a lot of fun on top of that !! :music1:

Good on you ..and thanks for sharing !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Is it Friday again yet?
Thanks guys, fun is an understatement, I come out feeling pumped and on a real high...much cheaper than drugs too.
If anyone is ever in the Sheffield area and wants to Jam you are more than welcome to come along, just let me know. Just a shame we are all so far apart...one day though we will have the 12bar-a-palooza.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green