What does it take to be a great blues singer?

Talking Blues, news, cool links
wildwood

What does it take to be a great blues singer?

Post by wildwood »

Most of the great blues singers I know of have definately had some pain in their lives. It seems they are able to draw from that to get the soul and feeling and angst needed to belt out a good tune that is believable and sincere to the listener. Even though blues is not necessarily always sad and strife driven, it still seems you have to have that base to begin with.

One of my favorite blues singers is Gregg Allman. He has had his share of pain in his life. John Lee Hooker (arguably one of the greatest blues singers ever) I'm sure didn't have the easy life. Bonnie Raitt, BB King, etc, probably have had lives full of episodes to draw from.

Which makes me wonder when I hear some of the younger guys like John Mayer or Johnny Lang sing blues, are they just going through the motions? In their relitively short lives have they really had the experiences to draw on like the veterans to sing blues? And is that OK?...it's OK with me, I guess, because the end result can be quite good at times.

I saw a funny cartoon once where a 50ish looking guy is walking out of a guitar store with a his new guitar in his hands and a big smile on his face. The one young sales guy behind the counter is looking at the other with a sort of disappointed look on his face and says "Frankly, I think anyone who can buy a blues guitar with a gold card doesn't deserve one."

Sort of the same thing here...can someone who hasn't lived with the blues sing the blues?

So...what does it take (besides whiskey and cigarettes) to be a great blues singer?
The blues won't get you to heaven but it'll drop you at the front door.
bluesinbflat

Re: What does it take to be a great blues singer?

Post by bluesinbflat »

You're asking people on a site whose main/primary interest is guitar? If you're truly serious and want a solid concrete no bullshit answer then you'll have to personally direct your question to Gregg Allman or to whoever blues performer you know that is still around who's 'great' blues singing you admire. That's what I would do.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Well, I wish I could sing, but I'm absolutely not talented, and while you can train hard to get a voice for opera or general classic music, it's hard to do this for Blues. You need passion, sure, you can ruin your health with whiskey and cigarettes, but your main voice is to a big part in your genes. Either you have it (like John Lee) or not (I think Jeff Beck or Santana would be glad if they could sing :big_smile: ). I don't have it. I can practice to hit the right pitch, to sing a melody formally right, but my voice is no Blues voice. :cry:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Well, I wish I could sing, but I'm absolutely not talented, and while you can train hard to get a voice for opera or general classic music, it's hard to do this for Blues. You need passion, sure, you can ruin your health with whiskey and cigarettes, but your main voice is to a big part in your genes. Either you have it (like John Lee) or not (I think Jeff Beck or Santana would be glad if they could sing :big_smile: ). I don't have it. I can practice to hit the right pitch, to sing a melody formally right, but my voice is no Blues voice. :cry:
My neighbours are so happy I don't even try :eye_rub:

What ik takes, besides being able to sing.... SOUL
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
weelie

Post by weelie »

practice
Jondo

Post by Jondo »

gloom, despair and agony on me, deep dark depression, excessive misery...ect
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

It doesn't take a raspy, deep voice (Billy Gibbons has a great blues speaking voice haha), you can have a wirey, high pitched, nasal voice. A good example of this is Ramblin' On My Mind off the Bluesbreakers album or Cream's Crossroads. Singing is like playing guitar, theres certain "licks" that you can sing. I'm no singer and I'm not saying I can... Can't even sing a bit of a song infront of someone without turning red as fire.

After reading what I just wrote, I realized it doesnt contribute to the question asked, nonetheless, just thought I'd add my 2 cents in.

:D