Eric Bibb Touring in the UK..& comin to Germany

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

Eric Bibb Touring in the UK..& comin to Germany

Post by Strummer07 »

Went to see Eric Bibb in concert last night in London town , Bloomsbury hall

Here's doing a short tour of the UK , supporting act Megan Henwood a pretty acoustic singer songwriter , who opens with a good set of her own songs, accomplished guiarist too ( makes you sick dunnit .........so bloomin young as so good and able to command a stage with her guitar and her voice !!)

Eric was on superb form and really seemed to enjoy being in the UK

He's touring and promoting his new album "Bookers Guitar" a whole album inspired by a fan approaching him some while back and asking him if he wanted to see the guitar that belonged to Booker White ( sometimes known as Bukka, and who was actually BBKings older Cousin ) .....the guy brought the guitar , an original metal resonator jobbie, to the hotel the next day and it set Eric off to seek out songs and write his own that kinda focus on this rich era.

Its a great album and well worth a punt if you like stripped back acoustic blues ..But Live .........wow this guy is excellent , I've seen him before both with bands and without and this stripped back combo really brings him out

He's on his own ..only 3 acoustic guitars involved in the whole set, 1 x resonator which he only uses for the song "Bookers Guitar" and 2 beautiful Acoustics.and boy did Eric give them a work out
He's a fab player and really got into it last night
he's accompanied by a fantastic blues harp player Grant Dermody is on the album with him ( his 1st visit to London so i hope he's enjoying himself and we made him welcome ).................... .almost got the harmonica to talk and unlike some blues harp players ( who just vamp) this guy actually played a tune and used the harp to real effect .. he used his hand to kinda get a stuccato strum effect ...........which was really effective. and fab "train" sound on a couple of songs

So 2 guys on the stage .and wow!! it was like a whole orchestra was there for you......great and complex bass lines , superb fingerstyle , intelligent well thought out lead lines ( all at the same time !! I was in awe!!) backing and colour from the harp , plenty of footstomping , audience participation , clapping and singing !!( Needed Time ..Lovely song)

and two songs just Eric and claping and singing ..no guitar at all .very spiritual and 'cottonfield'

So many highlights its difficult to remeber tham alkl ,Eric Bibb himself is a highlight and comes across as a super bloke as well as a great musician.

For me

"Bookers Guitar"
"Tell Riley" .a song inspired by BB ( Riley) King and his older Couson Booker White .actually written before the whole guitar episode so quite poignant
"New Home" ...a real old fashion blues song .....great performance
"Needed Time"
"Walkin Blues again"

all stood out, but the whole 1hr 20mins plus was magical

Here's a wee clip from you tube ( You can't record anthing in the theatre - too small, not that I would , I want to listen and be in the moment )
[youtube]5s3cUsEjnVI[/youtube]
Mods help me on thses you tube things ........what 'bit' goes in ?? ... I've tried the identifier bit between
= and &

and that didn't work either :wall: :wall:

MOD: it should work. I've fixed it... :handshake:

so heres the thread link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s3cUsEj ... r_embedded

More dates .......VB , can you make Edinburgh on Friday?? .....well worth it !!

Fri 14 May Edinburgh
Sun 16 May Sheffield City Hall & Memorial Hall, Sheffield
Wed 19 May The Anvil and The Forge, Basingstoke
Thu 20 May Huntingdon Hall Worcester
Fri 21 May The Robin 2 Wolverhampton
Sat 22 May Cheese & Grain Frome
Sun 23 May The Brook Southampton
Tue 25 May The Stables Milton Keynes
Wed 26 May The Stables Milton Keynes
Thu 27 May Birmingham Town Hall Birmingham
Mon 31 May Errigrigle Inn Belfast

Then later in the year Sept I think he's off to Germany

Go see him !! ...If you dig great acoustic guitar and superb Blues .here's your man !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
wildwood

Re: Eric Bibb Touring in the UK..& comin to Germany

Post by wildwood »

Great clip Strummer...

I am going to track down "Bookers Guitar". I love acoustic blues. I have been concentrating so much lately on electric blues that my acoustic guitars I think are feeling neglected. Time to change that.

You can certainly see/hear the Taj Mahal influence... :cool:
The blues won't get you to heaven but it'll drop you at the front door.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks for pointing me to Bibb - never heard him before. Great artist! :thumbsup:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Glad you liked it wildwood......I sure enjoyed him last night

here's a vid of the cd title tune ............"Bookers Guitar"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQl6g-jr ... re=related

I've been a bit of a Bibb convert since I saw him in concert about 5 years ago, He's quite prolific as a writer and cd outputter, I also met him at a guitar saw some 3 years back when he was picking up a brand new hand made Flyde guitar from their stand and he's just such a nice bloke, no celebrity airs and graces .he's just him , big and honest and freindly.

I have Friends (2004)/ A Family Affair (2004)/ Natural Light (2003) and Painting Signs (2001) and I think Natural Light is my favorite .but Bookers Guitar is growing on me with each play. Stripped back , great vocals and superb Acoustic Blues Guitar .
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Strummer07 wrote:More dates .......VB , can you make Edinburgh on Friday?? .....well worth it !!
Hi Strummer.

Glad you enjoyed the concert. I've listened to a fair bit of Eric Bibb the last few months and liked what I've heard. :thumbsup: I admire anyone that can play acoustic blues guitar well - a very difficult thing to do I've found, which is why you've never heard me attempting it. :yikes:

Been very busy recently so I've not been on the forum much and have only just seen your post. For the same reason though I wouldn't be able to get to the Friday gig anyway.

It's an odd thing mind - the more I've got into playing / recording / creating over the past year the less I've found myself listening to CDs / thinking of going to concerts etc. It's more difficult I think to listen to performances as pieces of music just for enjoyment - I find myself listening to technical aspects of playing, tone etc. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!