Losing Your Motivation?

Talking Blues, news, cool links
MikeJackal

Losing Your Motivation?

Post by MikeJackal »

Here's a little something I heard today which reminded me of why we do what we do....
You may go if you wish.
Remember this: Walk away now and you walk away from your crafts, your skills, your vocations; leaving the next generation with nothing but recycled, digitally-sampled techno-grooves, quasi-synth rhythms, pseudo-songs of violence-laden gansta-rap, acid pop, and simpering, saccarine, soulless slush.
Depart now and you forever separate yourselves from the vital American legacies of Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Jimmie Reed, Memphis Slim, Blind Boy Fuller, Louie Jordan, Little Walter, Big Walter, Sonnyboy Williamson I (and II), Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson, Elvis Pressley, Lieber and Stoller, and Robert K. Weiss.
Turn your backs now and you snuff out the fragile candles of Blues, R&B, and Soul, and when those flames flicker and expire, the light of the world is extinguished because the music which has moved mankind through seven decades leading to the millenium will whither and die on the vine of abandonment and neglect.
Answers on a postcard where that is a quote from......
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Re: Losing Your Motivation?

Post by VikingBlues »

Hmmm .... :bb:

"recycled, digitally-sampled techno-grooves, quasi-synth rhythms, pseudo-songs of violence-laden gansta-rap, acid pop, and simpering, saccarine, soulless slush" ... seems even more true now. :wall:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

That struck a chord with me mainly because of how much I use Soundclick now and it seems that all of the main content of the site is aimed at promoting these recycled, digitally-sampled techno-grooves, quasi-synth rhythms, pseudo-songs of violence-laden gansta-rap, acid pop, and simpering, saccarine, soulless slush.

Oh and you win for being the first correct answer....your prize is....a sense of self satisfaction that comes from playing real music.
Or you could take second prize and do a little collab. with me? Nothing fancy just a straight forwards blues-athon. You can even pick the track.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

it's all treu, sow don't do it....
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I play pseudo-songs of violence-laden guitar. :music2:

:D
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MikeJackal wrote:Or you could take second prize and do a little collab. with me? Nothing fancy just a straight forwards blues-athon. You can even pick the track.
I will put this on my list of things to do Mike - would be great to have a go. :thumbsup:

Very swamped the next few weeks though - catching up this week after the week off and I've got two payroll year end to run at two of the groups locations this week - then next week I've got the auditors in doing the financial year end audit, and at the same time i'll be trying to start doing financial month end work which should be completed the following week, which is then followed by work on getting the groups consolidated financial figures for the 30 or so companies in the group. Now where's some medication when you need it! :sad:

I'm already feeling jaded after two days back, and my creative processes are sluggish as hell as a result, and I'll need to be on top of my game to get anywhere near the levels of playing you soar along at. :pray:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!