Peter Green On Wikipedia Incorrect??

Talking Blues, news, cool links
MikeJackal

Peter Green On Wikipedia Incorrect??

Post by MikeJackal »

I just happened to be reading the Peter Green page on Wikipedia and discovered this piece of information....

"In the 1990s he played a 1960s Fender Stratocaster and his Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion with a Fender Blues DeVille and a Vox AC30 amplifier.[2] Footage from live shows in Holland during 2009, show him with a Fender Stratocaster similar to the one he played on the song "Need Your Love So Bad", thirty five years before.[citation needed]"

Huh? I was under the distinct impression that Peter played his Les Paul as there is a definite out of phase sound in some of the solo. Maybe it is my inexperienced ears, can someone please confirm which is correct.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Re: Peter Green On Wikipedia Incorrect??

Post by VikingBlues »

I have a vague feeling of having seen somewhere that there was film footage at the time of a "mimed" version of "Need Your Love So Bad" with a Strat but that the Les Paul was used in the studio. But my brain is old and tired and misfires and I've no idea where I saw that, how much reliance to place on it, and whether I saw it at all. :icon_whoknows: :oldie:

In passing you may not have encountered the Pious Bird of Good Omen Re-issue CD with the multi takes of the song on it. Though given your obvious knowledge of Peter Green you probably have. I link below a thread on th e old 12.bar forum with a YouTube recording (which can't be seen in all countries unfortunately) of one of the takes. Highly recommended album for anyone wanting to hear the huge variety and style with which PG and the Mac could tackle a piece - and just how immensely good he / they could be. :pray:

http://12bar.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2818
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Yes i saw the video of Need Your Love So Bad on youtube on a "Top Of The Pops" type program or something similar where he was playing a Strat, if that's is where people get their technical information then Wikipedia is in a worse state than i thought!

And yes i have that album and i also did see that thread while scouring the internet for knowledge on Greeny, i have to say i was on the fence, i do like the raw takes without the strings, but i also have really liked the strings on the final version, both good in their own way.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Wikipedia should never be considered an authority on anything. Wiki's info seems to come from your run of the mill internet know-it-alls(see photo).---------------->
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
weelie

Post by weelie »

NOt related, but read in a Green intereview (GP ?/2000) just the other day that when Gary Moore asked if Green wanted the Les Paul back, Green said he is willing to pay what he originally paid for it minus 20%, which he said is 100-20=$80, as he just didn't want it anymore, and never saw any magic to it.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Peter Green really is the most selfless person i've ever seen. I watched a documentary about him recently and basically he wanted to sit down with his music publisher and manager because he felt that he had borrowed or stolen some licks or chord progressions on some of his songs and wanted to make sure that the people he took them from got writing credit and their entitlement of the royalties. So they had to go through a large portion of his back catalogue and tell him, no peter it's ok to do that lol.
Don't think you could name many artists these days who would do something like that.
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:Peter Green really is the most selfless person i've ever seen. I watched a documentary about him recently and basically he wanted to sit down with his music publisher and manager because he felt that he had borrowed or stolen some licks or chord progressions on some of his songs and wanted to make sure that the people he took them from got writing credit and their entitlement of the royalties. So they had to go through a large portion of his back catalogue and tell him, no peter it's ok to do that lol.
Don't think you could name many artists these days who would do something like that.
Hi there, thanks for your post. I agree with you regarding Peter Green, I've just seen a doco about him and talk about humbleness .

I don't know too much about him, but one of the things I like about him and EC for that matter is that they never hide from their audience etc their blues roots.

Now ,I might be getting myself into the fire here, but when you look at the likes say of Led Zeppelin I don't think they were entirely honest in saying where their musical inspiration etc came from 100% of the time.

Anyway, keep up with the posts, I find them very informative.
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MikeJackal wrote:I just happened to be reading the Peter Green page on Wikipedia and discovered this piece of information....

"In the 1990s he played a 1960s Fender Stratocaster and his Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion with a Fender Blues DeVille and a Vox AC30 amplifier.[2] Footage from live shows in Holland during 2009, show him with a Fender Stratocaster similar to the one he played on the song "Need Your Love So Bad", thirty five years before.[citation needed]"

Huh? I was under the distinct impression that Peter played his Les Paul as there is a definite out of phase sound in some of the solo. Maybe it is my inexperienced ears, can someone please confirm which is correct.
FWIW here's a link to "Boles Blues" Website - quite an interesting overview for anyone finding about Peter Green, with some good clips, a wee bit about "the" guitar and general information. About 1/3 down the page is a YouTube linked video with a "Need Your Love So Bad" lip-sync performance where Peter uses a Stratocaster.

On the YouTube video pages for this video on p26 of the comments - "This clip was filmed in the fall 1968, I guess for Dutch TV as I saw Fleetwood Mac in concert in The Netherlands (playing in an old farm converted to a music club, CAN YOU IMAGINE?) during the European tour. PG wore EXACTLY the same clothes on stage as in this clip: blue shirt, scarf, brown leather trousers. PLUS: in concert he played that sunburst Stratocaster and not his Les Paul. Danny Kirwan also played a Strat. Maybe they thought the Les Pauls were too valuable to take on tour?"

http://bolesblues.com/2010/10/03/peter- ... il-guitar/
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Pena

Post by Pena »

Today I was ordered by my youngest, 13 years old girl :baby:, to buy her specific sneakers (not High Heel Sneakers :D )
Well, on way my to the sneekers, something drag me to do a 90 deg. turn to right... to the music section :icon_whoknows:
There I found this: http://bandweblogs.com/blog/2008/09/20/ ... cklisting/
Though I have losts of Peter Green&Fleetwood Mac and PG&Bluesbrakers and PG&Splinter Group and PG solo... I gotto have it... maybe it was the book included and the passion for the man... :shy:
Even it's been published 2008, the music and PG life keeps on having it's magic. :lefty:
Feel really satisfied :oldie: atm.
Pena

BTW, our evening star got her sneakers :whistle:
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson