Greatest guitar solo....ever

Talking Blues, news, cool links
MikeL

Re: Greatest guitar solo....ever

Post by MikeL »

Frank Zappa's solo during "Son of Orange County" on the album "Roxy and Elsewhere" comes to mind. It's sublime. (And my response has nothing to do with my residence; honest).
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Ok i know i posted at the beginning of this thread with a list of quite a few different songs but i decided i would stick to the rules and pick just one. And of course it had to be a Peter Green song, for me there has never been a better player, Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, you can keep them all because although they played with feeling and passion, Peter Green exposed his very soul to the world and played from a deeper place than anyone could ever dream of reaching.
I have picked this song because i have never heard a guitar sound this sad. A lot of people make their guitar cry, but Peter Green made his guitar have a complete mental breakdown when he played.
I am not taking anything away from any of the other players that have been mentioned in this thread or any other, just that Greeny, for me, tops them all. Enjoy listening.
The moment that really defines it all for me is at the end, after the song has finished and the people are clapping you can hear Peter saying "Oh...thank you". Completely unaware of what he had just done and the incredible music he had just produced.
Legend.
IxgY9eEFiYM
Last edited by MikeJackal on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

Hi Lynyrd77Skynyrd

Can you repost the link, its not working for me.

Cheers
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

kiwiclapton wrote:Hi Lynyrd77Skynyrd

Can you repost the link, its not working for me.

Cheers
Same problem here Lynyrd!

I'm intrigued too, because we don't know which song this is a recording of.

PG has a special place among my musical heroes too. As you've mentioned, he is a very modest and unassuming player, and very un-starry.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Sorry about that guys, I've only just figured out how to post Youtube links and must have missed a letter out of the name or something, I think it's fixed now.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

My thanks to you for posting this one up. It's a new one for me, and it has all the best Peter Green attributes. The soulful vocals, and the guitar tone and phrasing that's so sad it's beautiful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quite different to the BB King, but just as valid a version to say the least.

The best Fleetwood Mac Peter Green era recordings, for me, are nearly always the live recordings. I hadn't heard of the "Live in the Warehouse" recordings before. I see there's a comment on YouTube that if you listen hard from 4:05 you can catch the sounds of Peter Green singing along with his solo. I've heard before he often did that - he was playing what he heard singing in his head and sometimes had to let it go vocally as well. Playing what you hear in your head is something that I've been working on trying to do for the last year - with only some modest success so far but it's getting better - but the thought of hearing what he played on this recording in your head is mind blowing to me.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Your right VB, i had not heard that before because it is quite faint but you can definitely hear Peter let it out vocally what he is playing. The blues was coming so deeply that it burst out from him like some incredible form of Tourettes syndrome.
The best solo ever i'm sure you'll agree ;)
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:Ok i know i posted at the beginning of this thread with a list of quite a few different songs but i decided i would stick to the rules and pick just one. And of course it had to be a Peter Green song, for me there has never been a better player, Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, you can keep them all because although they played with feeling and passion, Peter Green exposed his very soul to the world and played from a deeper place than anyone could ever dream of reaching.
I have picked this song because i have never heard a guitar sound this sad. A lot of people make their guitar cry, but Peter Green made his guitar have a complete mental breakdown when he played.
I am not taking anything away from any of the other players that have been mentioned in this thread or any other, just that Greeny, for me, tops them all. Enjoy listening.
The moment that really defines it all for me is at the end, after the song has finished and the people are clapping you can hear Peter saying "Oh...thank you". Completely unaware of what he had just done and the incredible music he had just produced.
Legend.
IxgY9eEFiYM
That is phenomenal! Thanks for posting!

Where can I find it? I only have Peter Greens anthology and it isn't on there.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

tradrrr wrote: That is phenomenal! Thanks for posting!

Where can I find it? I only have Peter Greens anthology and it isn't on there.
I don't know what specific album it was on, i believe it was a live album that was possibly a bootleg.
If you just want that specific song there are websites where you can download audio from youtube, just do a google search for "Download music from youtube", most of them are free.

I will do some research because i would like this whole concert after hearing how well Greeny was playing that night, i'll let you know if i find it.