Eric Clapton in Abu Dhabi!

Talking Blues, news, cool links
drockadam

Eric Clapton in Abu Dhabi!

Post by drockadam »

Hello Everyone! :wave:

Yesterday Eric Clapton kicked off his 2011 World Tour. There are still more dates to be released. Clapton looked great last night! I didn't go, but observing the videos on YouTube. Eric got rid of the long hair and went back to the 2008 look, with the square Persol glasses though. One thing that puzzled me was, that he did Layla (acoustic) with a Gibson 335 (Sunburst!) It was weird seeing that. Check out these videos!

OBJCtw3J-94

YmphLhF8mP8

QgXd9B6fbU4
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
Strummer07

Re: Eric Clapton in Abu Dhabi!

Post by Strummer07 »

Useful post Drocadam

Interesting to look at the set list on Where's Eric as well ..................
Good set .....Only 2 songs from the "Clapton" album ....and the list doesn't actually list "Hoochie Coochie Man" although he obviously performed it. maybe as a medley with something else ??

http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton- ... -abu-dhabi

As someone holding tickets for when he is in London later in the year .......I am particularly pleased to note that he has listened to my post on 12 bar last year :lol:
and changed the ending of his set a bit.

Wonderful Tonight
Before You Accuse Me
Little Queen Of Spades
Crossroads
Further On Up The Road

Have to see how the set list and ending Progess as the tour develops
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Yes. I'd love to see more songs from Clapton. The 335 on Rocking Chair and Layla was odd?
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
Strummer07

2011 EC tour

Post by Strummer07 »

28th Feb Portland

Sorry to see the ending has reverted to same old, same old ...

13. Wonderful Tonight
14. Before You Accuse Me
15. Little Queen Of Spades
16. Cocaine
17. Crossroads

I just thought and hoped that he might be altering that after the 1st Abu Dhabi gig !! :icon_whoknows:
I just need to get him to try something fresh before the RAH in May .........I'll drop him an e-mail!!
San Jose last night and Sacramento tonight, Las Vegas on Saturday..... .anyone poppping along ??
Gary Moore 1952-2011
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

I like the sit down stuff with the 335. Pretty cool. Though I was hoping for some Autumn Leaves action at some point in the tour. Ah well.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

I agree tombstone............ .Its odd that with a new-ish album out - hes only doing 2 songs from it
I wouldn't want the whole thing .....but there a couple of songs I'd love to hear live .

I agree Autumn Leaves is a sit down cert
plus Rocking Chair .........He's done 'Driftin Blues' as part of his sit down ( and a lovely song it is too ) but I would have thought those two songs were dead cert "drop in's" to a sit down set .

Really surpised that "Diamonds made from rain" isn't one of his early set numbers too .........Would be good live with a full on band.
Also "Run back to Your side "

I wonder how EC and his band decide on what to play .............I'm a bit suprised with a back cataluogue like Ec's they don't mix it up just a bit more
mind you its more stuff to learn ...and all those lyrics must take some remebering .....I'm pretty sure he doesn't use auto que .....although at 65 .it can't be far away !!
Gary Moore 1952-2011
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

Yeah, I was hoping that Diamonds would replace WT. Everything Will be Alright would be pretty cool too.

As for coming up with setlists, I'm pretty sure that EC just plays whatever he is the most comfortable with. Maybe having an autocue is what he needs to do to save his live shows from this sameness that they have had at least since 2008. I know for a fact that Springsteen uses one when he has to, which is great because it allows him and the band to play a huge variety of songs on tour instead of just a few that they worked out in rehearsal.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

As much as I like the 335 Layla, why another Wonderful Tonight???? :tease: