I don't know nothing

Talking Blues, news, cool links
LostBoyWillson

I don't know nothing

Post by LostBoyWillson »

You ever have one of those moments in life, when you get to a point where you think you know quite a bit about something, then you learn something new and then realize you really don't know hardly nothing about the thing you knew so much about?

Well, I can thank the 12bar.de forum for me having one of these moments today.

Background... I'm a few weeks away from being 49, been listening to rock music since I was a teen, thought I had learned a bit about some of the greats and a bit about the blues too. I saw Led Zeppelin when I was 14, in 1976 and have seen hundreds of concerts since then. I found this site a few weeks ago, really liked it, been looking about since then.

I never really was a big Fleetwood Mac fan, and never ever heard of Peter Green until today. When had listened to Fleetwood Mac, it was in the late 70s you see, no Peter Green.

So, today I'm reading about guitar lessons, find out about a site called jamplay.com, come across a lesson on how to play "The Green Manalishi (With The Two-Pronged Crown)", the Judas Priest version, the guy mentions that Fleetwood Mac did the song originaly and you should check out the original...

Well, that's how I guy my 'duh, I sure don't know nothing' moment today. Now, I'm a new Peter Green fan, at the age of almost 49.
MikeJackal

Re: I don't know nothing

Post by MikeJackal »

Welcome to the club! I had that Duh moment about a year ago when it came to Peter Green, now i'm hooked, the man is a genius. Some of the songs you have to check out on youtube or wherever are: Man Of The World, The Supernatural, Out Of Reach, Rattlesnake Shake, Need Your Love So Bad, Black Magic Woman and my personal favourite at the moment Closing My Eyes.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Couldn't miss the opportunity to share this song, it's a bonus track from the 1969 album Then Play On, Peter Green's last album with Fleetwood Mac before he left and became seriously mentally ill. The song paints a very vivid picture of the pure sadness he was feeling at the time and reaching for god and trying to find some meaning to it all. It is a very sad song and i almost wept when i first heard it. His choice of notes in the solos and fills as well as the harsh chords and loud drums get his message across perfectly, he is simply a perfect songwriter
http://www.twitvid.com/embed.php?guid=75CA0&autoplay=0
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:Welcome to the club! I had that Duh moment about a year ago when it came to Peter Green, now i'm hooked, the man is a genius. Some of the songs you have to check out on youtube or wherever are: Man Of The World, The Supernatural, Out Of Reach, Rattlesnake Shake, Need Your Love So Bad, Black Magic Woman and my personal favourite at the moment Closing My Eyes.
It was only a couple of years ago that I "discovered" the depth of the old Fleetwood Mac repertoire and how bluesy a lot of it was. I'm old enough at mid 50s to be able to remember the "Oh Well" and "Green Manalishi" singles, but that was about it. I, like many, thought BlackMagic Woman, was a Santana song. When you find out it really is a "Duh" moment and you wonder whether you've been walking around with your eyes (and ears) shut.

Good list of tracks BTW - quite different to the album version the Rattlesnake Shake in the live remastered Vol 1 Boston Tea Party is at 24 minutes quite an extended workout and shows how well Peter Green and Danny Kirwan meshed as a guitar partnership. Jumping at Shadows is also well worth a listen - there are some spine tingling guitar moments on some live versions of this.
Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:Couldn't miss the opportunity to share this song, it's a bonus track from the 1969 album Then Play On, Peter Green's last album with Fleetwood Mac before he left and became seriously mentally ill. The song paints a very vivid picture of the pure sadness he was feeling at the time and reaching for god and trying to find some meaning to it all. It is a very sad song and i almost wept when i first heard it. His choice of notes in the solos and fills as well as the harsh chords and loud drums get his message across perfectly, he is simply a perfect songwriter
http://www.twitvid.com/embed.php?guid=75CA0&autoplay=0
Thanks for posting the "Closing my Eyes" link. I hadn't heard this one before - you're right - it's very poignant and I suppose it shares a lot with "Man of the World". Choice of notes, dynamics and arrangement are superb - particularly on the later albums he was on with Fleetwood Mac PG was very heavily involved in the structuring, multi-tracking, arranging, etc of the songs.

The blues just seemed to channel so well through Peter Green. Here's an early example of a "home" recording with Duster Bennet very early in his career. Pure blues to my ears - beautiful and with a ytpical PG air of sadness.

1qTE8UTdrNU
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!