Sunday Church Gig report

Talking Blues, news, cool links
StratLover2

Sunday Church Gig report

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi all!

This Sunday at church was rather different, not that much as far as music goes, except our pastor snuck in a swing jazz version of "We Three Kings" in before the gathering songs, in which I played some lead fills.

The difference was we had a guest pastor, who is going to Argentina as a missionary next month. Anyway he gave his talk, and after the service was over he came up to me and asked me who I listened to. I said Eric Clapton, SRV, Buddy Guy, etc. He said "I can tell. I detected a lot of SRV, Clapton and some B.B King. You are definitely in the amplified blues tradition and you honor it very well."

This is one of those compliments where I can't think of it too long, else I fear that I might have a size 10 head soon!

StratLover2
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Sunday Church Gig report

Post by 12bar »

That certainly IS a compliment! :thumbsup:
Pena

Post by Pena »

Really nice, bet it warmed your heart :thumbsup:
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

That sort of comment is really uplifting, esprecially when it's from an unexpected source. Nice. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Yes!

It was certainly a good feeling to know that I've still got it!, even though college has drastically lowered my play/practice time these days to a day or two a week.

This compliment was up there or maybe past the kids screaming "Eric Clapton" while I soloed a month ago.

A funny tidbit, at one of my sidewalk jams, my friend showed up and opened my case and threw in a dollar bill, saying I should leave my case open for tips. I thought that might have been a compliment as well.

At those jams, I've had people honk at the stoplights, and roll down their windows to listen my pastor and I jam. Sometimes, we've really gotten into some good jams, especially on La Grange!

StratLover2