G'day and What version of "Have you ever loved a woman"

Talking Blues, news, cool links
kiwiclapton

G'day and What version of "Have you ever loved a woman"

Post by kiwiclapton »

G'day guys,

I'm a blues fan from New Zealand. I'm a rocker by nature but got turned onto the blues in a very real way when I heard the "Beano" album around 6 months ago (this is the reason why I’ve finally decided to apply myself to playing the guitar, been playing 3 cords and nothing more on an acoustic for 15 years) . Of course I'd heard of Clapton's work with Cream and his other "radio" songs but I kick myself that I'd never made a serious attempt to listen to his stuff over the years! And I’m loving it now.

I'm really impressed by the guitar work of Peter Green too, again I'd heard of Fleetwood Mac thru the "Rumours' record and other radio songs and didn't have glue about the blues background and legacy of those guys.

A new friend of mine has kindly taken my by the hand and has passed on some good music for me to listen to. I've always had a soft spot for Stevie Ray Vaughn (in fact he used to spend a bit of time here in a place called Raglan for a few years before he died) Anyway, I have to tell you guys when I heard Albert King's record "The Best of...” a few days ago I could clearly hear how this legend influenced SRV! What a knock out!

Anyway, the real reason for my post is to find out what version of EC's "Have you ever loved a woman" do you like and for what reason? I just love this song.

Ahh, the blues!
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
Golfxzq

Re: G'day and What version of "Have you ever loved a woman"

Post by Golfxzq »

:welcome: to the forum Kiwiclapton.... this is a great place to be if you are "turned on to the blues" as you say. You have a top notch run down of players there... Clapton, PG, SRV, Albert King... all great blues entertainers. Hang around for a while and you'll see how much help is lurking in this forum.. you will be amazed.

As for "Have You Ever Loved a Woman"... Derek and the Domino's, Layla album.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
deejaid

Post by deejaid »

Your path to the blues and blues guitar sound exactly like mine kiwi! I was a huge 60's and 70's blues-rock fan, with Cream one of my favorite bands. That's what I love about Clapton. He has been the bridge that helped me discover the blues and to really learn about the music that I had ignored for so many years.

To me, Clapton can never top Freddie King's version. But he does it very well. I like watching the Clapton Hyde Park dvd. He plays it and Tore Down on his 335 :bb:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Golfxzq wrote: As for "Have You Ever Loved a Woman"... Derek and the Domino's, Layla album.
This is a very good one from the Layla sessions.

Another one I really like:
XdPD1rcQlig
Jan 15th 2007
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Welcome Kiwiclapton ... Good question for a 1st post or so,

You have opened the door on some great music

"Have YELAWoman "...Great song !!

For me its Freddies song and he's the Master #1

Eric is Good , no doubt .....The "Layla" version is lovely and Raw and his voice is still 'young' .....

But for subtlety and touch the "24 nights" version has it for me !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

yep. the beano album is great I love every track on there.

and welcome. you are fairly close to home, im in australia. gear pricing for you an me sucks ain't it?
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

rocknroll93 wrote:yep. the beano album is great I love every track on there.

and welcome. you are fairly close to home, im in australia. gear pricing for you an me sucks ain't it?
Hey, thanks for the reply. Things are not looking too well in Queensland. Our thoughts and prayers are this you guys over there.

Price for new good gear is very expensive. I brought a squier telecaster not too long ago, brand new with $80.00 knocked so that was around $540 and a Vox VT 50 for $850.00. I'd like a real telecaster or les paul one day so I'd better start getting better and saving some money eh?
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

A bit late, but :welcome:

You may know http://12bar.de/hyelaw.php - my favo(u)rite version is still the one from Layla, and there's also a breathtaking version from 1966 with the Bluesbreakers and a good one from the NBTB era.
Freddies versions are classic, sure.