so excited!!

Talking Blues, news, cool links
rocknroll93

so excited!!

Post by rocknroll93 »

not because next year I will be going to see Joe Bonamassa,

but because tomorrow (christmas) I will be un-wraping John Mayall's Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton!!

I am finally getting a copy of the beano album!!

sorry for the post... I had to share it...

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!

:banana:
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: so excited!!

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:xmas_1: congrats and a merry Christmas to you to :handshake:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

I'm so glad the 'Beano' album is still causing so much excitement! I got mine in the (19)60's after seeing JM for the first time. I share your excitement even 40 years later.
Enjoy your Christmas.
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

thanks guys.. Yeah, the track listing looks amazing, so its gonna be the first thing i do tommorow... listen to the bloddy thing :D
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:xmas_1: Merry Christmas to you too R&R93... that's very exciting! You'll be wearing that album out next week. I don't have the album... may have to be a post-Christmas purchase. Be sure to let us know what you think of the tracks.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Golfxzq wrote:Be sure to let us know what you think of the tracks.
Seconded.

:thumbsup: Enjoy it r'n'r93 - it does get rave reviews - oddly I've never got round to this one either for some reason, though I do have the Hard Road album. I've got too many gaps in my CD collection - maybe it balances the gaps in my musical knowledge. :roll:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Shame on you!! You must have peeked!
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

review will come soon, I got too much to do today...

oneeyedslide - no no peeking at all!

I told my brother to get it for me and I was there when he bought it...
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Sorry Rocknroll93. I didn't mean to sound like Scrooge! I used to peek now and then...

I was just reading this very morning about his new solo debut album, "A New Day Yesterday". This was in a Feb, 2001 issue of Guitar Player Magazine I found while cleaning the basement. Time marches on doesn't it?

Merry Christmas and enjoy your new Joe cd!
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

I got all the joe cds :P it was the john mayall and eric clapton "beano" album :P

haha..
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

I shoulda asked Santa for new glasses! Enjoy your new "Beano" cd! I'm gonna listen to it today myself!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

rocknroll93 wrote:I am finally getting a copy of the beano album!!
I'm 100% sure you will like it! :thumbsup:
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Sorry to be dumb, but Beano is the -59 Les Paul Clapton used to play, right? Got stolen though.

FYI: I had a chance to work with John Mayall personally once when I lived in Los Angeles and worked in a 24-trk studio as a recording engineer.

I hate to say it was a let-down, but it was. The truth is the guy was so broken down (maybe a little high on some prescription meds) that he could barely play three notes together.

We were overdubbing onto a live album he had recorded with some of the biggies from the early 80's, Return of the Bluesbreakers. Not to belabor - it was a live recorded album but we had the master tapes. He wanted to do a guitar overdub and all we had was a champ amp. Anyway - we tried for about an hour and finally he said "I just got ain't got it today" He was so embarassed he couldn't look me iin the eyes and he said "do me a favor, just don't tell anyone."

It's been almost 30 years, I guess it is OK to tell now, Funny thing, I thought he looked old then.

drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Wow! Joe Bonamassa is great! I love the version of "Further On Up The Road" Eric and Joe did at the Royal Albert Hall, a few years ago. Great stuff.

VEEfDdJyxPY
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

Drockadam- yeah. bonamassa is pure amazing :D
Cruisemates - thats still a cool claim to fame, yeah sure, a little sad, but cool none the less
12bar - yeah, love the album, all your love (I miss lovin) and steppin' out are my faves, probably cos i can play both of them :P
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

The latest issue of Gibson's e-letter came drifting into my in-box today. Interestingly enough, there happened to be two articles on John Mayall's Blues Breakers and on how EC's Les Paul came to be called "Beano" and also how the album came to be called the Beano album. Pretty interesting... if you don't get the e-letter here are links to those two articles.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/F ... week-1223/

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/F ... week-1222/

I am beginning to believe that Gibson secretly reads the 12Bar forum for ideas on articles to write. :cool:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Ha Ha ! ... you beat me to it Golfxzq !!...They are good articles, and the pics are good too...quite amazing Gibson should be drumming up all this publicity around a Custom Gold Top and the "Beano Album"" ...........should get a few more Royalties trickling into Johns coffers.

Thats an interesting little tale you have there Cruisemates and slightly sad too. Thanks for sharing it ... as you say , after 30 years its probably OK.

I guess we all get our "Off Days" ..especially when you tour as much as he's done .I imagine there must be days when you wake wondering "where the heck am I and what are we doing next .???" . Somewhat in John's defense ..........( although with his pedigree and his body of work ....he hardly needs any defending) I don't think Mayall would ever put himself out there as a Guitarist .sure he plays an occasional solo .....
His talents are much more as a Keyboard player and a Mean Harmonica player but his primary talent and legacy will be as a Band Leader ( and a pretty tough one at that, especially in the early days... He sacked Mick Fleetwood, and John McVie ! .....amongst others ) recognising talent and bringing it in and nuturing it, was more Johns main talent, Claptons "woodshedding" year was at Mayalls home playing along to his vast Blues Record Collection.
When you've had as many senstional Guitarist in your band .... Green / Clapton / Taylor / Montoya/ Trout / Whitington to name but a few ... and his other band members are alos top class and have formed the backbone of many a 60's 70's 80's group. .... (list too long to mention)

In many ways Mayall, although introduced at gigs as the Godfather of British blues, is an unsung hero in many ways. Fostered all that talent ..but not a lot of real recognition for it ...................When he was given a British Honour in a New Years Honours list a while back ...he is quoted as saying "It's the only major award I've ever received. I've never had a hit record or a Grammy or been in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame." commented Mayall.

I can forgive him an off day ..............He and his band have given me a whole lot of great music over the years....
Starting with the Beano Album .........back on thread !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011