Bona Who?

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Golfxzq

Bona Who?

Post by Golfxzq »

:music1: Aggiefan and I attended the Bonamassa concert Friday night. It was a great event. It was held at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC) in the James K. Polk Theater. This theater was specifically constructed for musical events so the acoustics were perfect. Being on the ninth row from the stage... the acoustics were LOUD. It was a sold out event, around 1,100.

Joe B. was a great entertainer... a great singer and unbelievable guitar player. It was amazing to hear.. and see.. what he could do with a guitar.

After the show we found the tour bus and waited around for an autograph. While we were there we stuck up a conversation with another fan who said that Joe B. was very good about signing autographs and taking pictures with anyone who wanted them. Sure enough, when Joe came out he asked that he be able to put away a few things first. He went to his bus and came right back out and stayed until the last fan was gone.

We took the pick guard from the "Black Cat" LP. Take a look.
Black Cat
Black Cat
100_2470 (Small).jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
Pick Guard
Pick Guard
100_2468 (Small).jpg (20.7 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
Bonamassa in Concert
Bonamassa in Concert
1126002155 (Small).jpg (42.28 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
Bonamassa in Concert
Bonamassa in Concert
1126002000a (Small).jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
Tour Bus
Tour Bus
1126002206a (Small).jpg (37.26 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
Last edited by Golfxzq on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
VikingBlues

Re: Bona Who?

Post by VikingBlues »

You're turning that unwanted guitar into something more and more valuable with every post that we see. :clap:

Nice one! Glad to see that Joe B knows his fans are important and hasn't get swept up in fame like so many have. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Wow, awesome :)
No find a way to protect that pickguards service and autograph
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:find a way to protect that pickguards service and autograph
You got that right!!! We just put it on for the picture. For playin' we will get another pick guard. :big_smile:
- Henry Ford
aggiefan

Post by aggiefan »

Joe is better live than on the album in my opinion. :thumbsup: Hisbacking band was really good. Its hard to describe how good they were. :clap: Joe has the best bass player and drummer i have ever seen. Among the songs he played 3 really stuck out to me, If Heartaches Were Nickels, Woke Up Dreaming, and one of my all time favorite ZZ Top songs, Just Got Paid. I hadnt really heard If Heartaches Were Nickels before the concert, but the solo he played was one of the best. Has a real bluesy sound. There is not enough to write about Woke Up Dreamin. Golfxzq could probably describe it better than me. This was the one acoustic song he did in the concert, and it was the best. :music1: It went on for about 10 minutes, just Joe no backing band. What he play looked like his left hand wasnt matching the right hand. Its like you turn on the TV and the audio is off sync with the visual. He did things on the guitar I didnt know you could do. Then the last song of the encore, Just Got Paid. (he played Bird on a Wire off of his new CD Black Rock before Just Got Paid) :music2: I think Joe takes this song to a whole nother level. He uses a the theremin a little bit in the middle.(if you dont know what that is just put on Ballad of John Henry and you will know what it is) It is a great song overall and you know he is gonna play it when he pulls out the flying v. Yall saw the pickguard he signed for the Black Cat. He also signed a program and the Black Rock CD we got at the concert. If you have the chance to see Joe in concert, go! I rank that concert 5 stars 10 out of 10. :clap: Im glad I didnt miss the chance to see him. :music2:
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Aggiefan - it sounds like you and Golxzq had a great time at the concert by that guy, umm......Bona....Bona....who? Great pictures as well.

That signed pickguard looks awfully handsome on that guitar. It would be a shame not to show it off.

Maybe you need a Black Cat II to put it on. A Black Cat I to play and a Black Cat II to display. And maybe a coat of polyurethane for protection.

That signature is way, way better than a T shirt from the concert - and cheaper too. Good score! :thumbsup: :clap:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Congrats to a wonderful concert and the best souvenir you can get! :thumbsup:
I wish I had 1 % of his technical abilities...
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

im going may this year. 1 show in melbourne. I want that pickguard. also, my first post here. hi all. (must remember to post and introduction thread tommorow..)
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Great pics guys .and Oh wow !! that signed pickguard !! phew !

I had heard that he was a friendly guy and not into the big fame "I am" thing .....so its nice to get that confirmed

I've not got the Black Rock CD and don't know a lot about it. Wehen I saw him in May 2010 it was fresh out but his whole concert set list was mainly around "Ballard of John Henry" and older stuff ( there is a set list on the post I put up in May) ...........which was all great!!.how do you rate "Black Rock" aggiefan ??
I might have to put it on the Christmas list !!

I agree about the Acoustic part of the set .....its an amazing tune .....how anyone can create so many sounds and textures out of 1 acoustic guitar is way beyond me !!

Sounds like the set list hasn't changed too much ..............did he ruin his smart suit!........he works so hard it usually end up looking like a wet rag!!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106

Sounds like you had a great gig ....you sure had great seats !!..........Grandads can be Cool guys !!

!....and souvenirs to boot .Can't be bad !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

Rocknroll93 wrote:im going may this year. 1 show in melbourne. I want that pickguard. also, my first post here. hi all. (must remember to post and introduction thread tommorow..)
BTW... Welcome to the forum Rocknroll93, it's a great place to be. When you go to the concert find the artist exit door, we just asked the attendant. Wait around outside after the concert and he will definately sign whatever you have and take pictues with anyone who wants to stay. He is a really nice fellow, frendly to everyone. It is worth the wait. Be sure to give us a post about your experience.
- Henry Ford
aggiefan

Post by aggiefan »

Hey Strummer! :wave: I would have to rate Black Rock a good 7 out of 10. He does a great duet with BB King on Night Life and has some good songs like Blue and Evil and Spanish Boots. I would get it if you have the Royal Albert Hall CD. If you dont have the RAH CD then get that one first. RAH is like his greatest hits but even better, live. Anyway thats my thoughts on Black Rock.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Thanks Aggiefan

I think it has to go on the old Christmas list .sounds too good to miss

I don't have the Royal Albert Hall CD ......but I have the DVD ... great gig ( I was there ! so I had to get the DVD!! )
the moment he introduces Eric on stage ......was a huge thrill for the audience ....but also a massive thrill for Joe too !!

Good DVD - 2 discs, check it out .... .might be worth adding to your Chrimbo list !! :big_smile:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

Golfxzq wrote:
Rocknroll93 wrote:im going may this year. 1 show in melbourne. I want that pickguard. also, my first post here. hi all. (must remember to post and introduction thread tommorow..)
BTW... Welcome to the forum Rocknroll93, it's a great place to be. When you go to the concert find the artist exit door, we just asked the attendant. Wait around outside after the concert and he will definately sign whatever you have and take pictues with anyone who wants to stay. He is a really nice fellow, frendly to everyone. It is worth the wait. Be sure to give us a post about your experience.
sweet. will do. ill go post a thread about me now..

*digs out white strat pickguard to get signed*
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king