Gentlemen, it is my duty

Talking Blues, news, cool links
leftyslim

Gentlemen, it is my duty

Post by leftyslim »

To inform you of one beauty..."

Actually, to inform you of a little outfit from Kansas I had the ridiculous pleasure to see live in July at the North Atlantic Blues Festival here in Maine, called Moreland & Arbuckle.

XKIk-igClRA

I'd heard them on satellite radio for a while, and liked them a lot, even though I still wasn't really familiar with them, so I made sure to see them at the festival. It was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. Seeing and hearing them live was, I think, probably a lot like the first time I heard Rory Gallagher; I knew it was something really special. I can't quite describe it, I guess it just sort of hits something in you that goes "yes!" It rained through their whole set, but that didn't matter one bit; I was insanely happy the whole time. Their energy, passion, and skill were all fantastic, and I think most of the other people were having just as much fun as me- they got a well-deserved standing ovation halfway through the set! And to top it all off, they're (Dustin Arbuckle on harmonica and vocals, Aaron Moreland on guitar and cigar box, and Brad Horner on drums) all really nice guys! The best way to describe the music is probably just "take a listen!" but it's really gutsy, grooving, down-and-dirty countrified rootsy blues. I bought their newest CD, "Flood" after the show, and it's definitely one of my absolute favorites, but it's also only half as good as seeing them live.

So I just wanted to share this with everyone on here (no good keeping it all to myself!) and say that if they come anywhere near you, don't miss them!
"Ayyyyy ayyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyaaaie yaaaaaaie yaaaaaa, yaaa yyie yaaaaie yyaa yyyaaaa"
L. Staley

"And there is no excuse for boredom. I can read and listen to music. How could I ever be bored?"
J. Cunningham
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Gentlemen, it is my duty

Post by 12bar »

Thanks! My first thought was it looks like slide on a bass, so I found this interview:
http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/201 ... /moreland/
:thumbsup:
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Well thanks Lefty Slim! The sight of me dancing around with my early morning coffee 'ain't purty', but I 'lurve' this kind of sound and band. They're straight onto my You Tube Favourites (or in US English: Favorites!!) Keep sharing this kind of thing with the rest of us. :chicken: :banana: :yikes:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

When you said you saw them in Maine I figured there's no way I'll get to see them. But they're from Kansas! That's just a few hundred miles downstream from here so they are going onto my MUST SEE list. Thanks Lefty Slim!

Love the cigar box bass! Anybody ever see one of those "cookie tin" or "bisquit tin" guitars? I saw one on you tube that had a very resonator-like tone to it. Great for slide!

Thanks 12 Bar for the interview too!
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

I saw them open up for Buddy Guy at his Legends last January. I liked them alot. I got an Allman Bros vibe. Loved the cigar box guitar, too.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I loved them so much that i build myself a couple of Cigarbox Guitars 2x 6 strings and 1 4 string.
Attachments
281936266_2_SCdB.jpg
281936266_2_SCdB.jpg (9.17 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
100_5224m.JPG
100_5224m.JPG (23.13 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
100_5223m.JPG
100_5223m.JPG (27.99 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

El mano, how do they sound?
Let me tell you what the blues is....
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

The first one i build is the 0nly electric so far. I used a neck of a kawai strat that is killed in action on a gig 30 april 1980 :thumbsdown: I used the mid pick up and the tremolo I build in the cigarbox a sustainblok, give it a high action an play slide on it It roars like a lion on low tones and is able to scream like psycho lady in a bath behind a piece of plastic. :banana: There is only one point that i did wrong. the mensure is not exact so i can not intonate it exact.
The second one is a 4 string that is acoustic with small speaker in the bridge used as piezoelectric PU sound like a 4 string CBG has to do Not to loud But is very good intonate. The neck is without a trussrod that is why i used only 4 strings. The frets i used came out an old spanish cheapo
The last one is still in a project state i build the box from exclusif Wenge and oakstrips (woodenfloor strips) The neck is a rosewood paw of a table and the fingerboard is maple strip floorwood( We called it Parket ) I get a 12"radius and original frets I will finished this winter. I used an very smal Honeytone mini amp toe play true.
I wil try to make a sound sample one of these days. I am a fan of Seasick Steve and Ben Prestige you can find them on You Tube
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
wildwood

Post by wildwood »

M&A have been a favorite of mine for a few years now. The description of their music by leftyslim was right on the money... "gutsy, grooving, down-and-dirty countrified rootsy blues".

Their recent album "Flood" was preceded by 2008's "1861" and "Floyd's Market" recorded in 2006 when they were known as Moreland, Arbuckle & Flood.

If you like these guys, check out the following bands as well...

-Hill Country Review
-Blues Lee
-Mike Zito
-Paul Reddick & The Sidemen

...just to name a few.
The blues won't get you to heaven but it'll drop you at the front door.
leftyslim

Post by leftyslim »

Guys, I'm thrilled you've enjoyed them so much, and that some of you have heard them before! :big_smile: :thumbsup: That was a really cool interview, Gerd- thanks for finding it.

Cool cigar box guitars too, ElMano! Hope to hear 'em soon!
"Ayyyyy ayyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyaaaie yaaaaaaie yaaaaaa, yaaa yyie yaaaaie yyaa yyyaaaa"
L. Staley

"And there is no excuse for boredom. I can read and listen to music. How could I ever be bored?"
J. Cunningham
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Thanks for posting that clip. Those guys are great. I love that stripped down sound. Interesting guitar sound. I've always wanted to work with a drummer who used the bare minimum kit...or maybe just a snare and hi-hat.
Interesting interview, also. I may have to try that string arrangement on one of my guitars.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.