Best Melvin Taylor album?

Talking Blues, news, cool links
rcwilk

Best Melvin Taylor album?

Post by rcwilk »

Hi
.. New to Melvin Taylor - love those long leads - album recommendations?

Thanks,

RC
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Best Melvin Taylor album?

Post by 12bar »

Well, I'd browse through youtube and select what's best to my ears!
Great player, but not very popular over here.
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Okay ....... I've never heard of him before.Now I have listened to him on YT and experiencing an anticlimax. That he is a driven guy when it comes to technique, but when it comes to feeling, it's not good at all. I think a guy / girl who has music as a job could have more feeling for what he/she is doing. Unfortunately, he appeals not me at all.

EDIT; I have listened more. He is more suited to jazz and funk, which he mastered in total. When it comes to blues, he has not understood, less is more, unfortunately. He wants to show his swift dexterity which destroys more than add something. I think that's too bad

Surfing on YT so you will probably get together enough songs to learn from, or what the point of this thread is.

Cheers and take care.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I can sympathise with MRs feeling on this one to be honest regarding the parts where dexterity seems to be the main thrust of the music.

The "Blue Jeans Blues" recording I can admire for its skill and intensity, but on a personal level I find it "too much". I have the same problem with some recordings by, for example, Gary Moore and even (I'll maybe get lynched now!) SRV. :shy: To the extent I got an SRV album devoted to just the more laid back mellow songs.

"Tin Pan Alley" on the other hand doesn't have as much of those issues for me. Still a few times in the intro I found myself wishing I could grab an idea of some sort of a melody in the really rapid fire segments. The failing is likely mine for not understanding. But then I've always liked the slower lead guitarists in whatever genre, and the older I get the more that seems to become the case. :oldie:

Sorry! :icon_whoknows: Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Hope the gig on the beach went well.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!