A seemingly poor ending to EC Gig in Scotland

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

A seemingly poor ending to EC Gig in Scotland

Post by Strummer07 »

For what its worth ... a seemingly bad end to an EC Gig in Scotland

No idea why or what happened ....but it didn’t seem to end sowell ..could be an exaggeration ..but something didn't go well after 60 seconds of "Cocaine "... .and off he jolly well went ! ..Not Like Eric at all really..(Way more a Van Morrison trait and I've seen him do it too !!)

Lots of rather iffy press in the UK this morning ..social media etc

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents ... 1403387960

Maybe just a one off ..after all the guy is almost 70 .....but he’s only doing 2 gigs in the UK this year ( next one in Leeds Tonight ..If I had tickets I'd be a wee bit concerned) ......so to end one poorly is not a great idea really

We shall have to see ???....Is Eric Coming to the end of his International touring career I wonder ???
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Strummer07

Re: A seemingly poor ending to EC Gig in Scotland

Post by Strummer07 »

This has just been posted ( a bit late in my opinion ) on the where's Eric site.

From Team Clapton regarding Glasgow Concert: "Unfortunately last night we experienced a steadily worsening technical problem with the PA system that the band battled with throughout the show but by the last song of the set it became unbearable on stage and Eric was unable to complete that number. During the encore break we were able to reset and the band finished as planned with the last number.
The usual touring set length runs at 1hr 35 mins so in fact the full set was performed apart from the entirety of “cocaine” which had to be curtailed.
Eric is nevertheless sorry for the break in the concert and the disappointment of his fans."

Unquote

Had EC's Management been a bit more "On it" and put this out earlier much and effectively managed the PR around this .....most of the Social media .."Storm in a tea cup " would probably not have happened !

and the concert was all but done anyway ... the whole set list was delivered (Except part of Cocaine which was the final normal set number) , and apparently delivered very well ..by all band members ..Andy Fairweather-Low was apparently especially good.

So ..(For me ) a total fuss about nothing !! Eric is a darn good performer and I hope he's got a few more tours in him yet .....69 years of age and still delighting folk !!

Great artist !!
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Yes - it's the lateness of the information that is rather sad. :sad:

One would assume if they able to "able to reset and the band finished as planned with the last number" the the microphones were working still and someone could have used one to let people know.

Not that facing a crowd in Glasgow baying for blood is an easy task! The Glasgow Empire was certainly renowned for being the Comedians graveyard.

It is easy to understand the crowds anger but it's also easy to understand ECs anger, and when the blood is boiling it's not always easy to think about how everyone else is feeling, and think about how to soothe their feelings.

Social media hysterics don't necessarily help either.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I still admire EC for being on tour at his age and his past (drugs, cigarettes, alcohol)... it's a hard job and he's known to be a perfectionist.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Firstly to round this story off ......it appears in the aftermath of all this that the Problem, which revolved around really bad feedback, wasn't any fault of Clapton's nor his sound team ...but the venues PA system.

Again had all this been explained / communicated, promptly by a tour manager /PR person ..there would have been significantly less fall out !
Anyway the next 2 shows..Leeds UK and Mannerheim in Germany have apparently been superb, Next one is Vienna tomorrow.

Taking 12 bars point..EC still being on tour at 69 years of age (70 in March 2015) .............There is a pretty rare Eric Clapton interview published in the UK today in a Magazine called "UNCUT"..its a Musically focussed Newsy magazine always a good buy at the airport for a trip, but I don't get it regularly.
This is Clapton's 1st interview for a while (and he doesn't do many anyway,) its focussed mainly on JJ Cale and the new CD coming out in July Called "the Breeze- an appreciation of JJ Cale" its Eric and Friends ( Mayer, Tom Petty, Mark Knopfler, Willie Nelson amongst Others) doing all the best known JJ Cale songs............. Mine is on order already

The article is notable for some of the "Quotes" / statements and observations( how these have been positioned is anyone's guess ....Journalistic license and all that
"I'm getting Old, Man " sighs Eric

He Has Back issue , and also Posture issues and problems with his Left shoulder
and he is aware that things are slowing a bit

"I watch myself to see if I am deteriorating. I'm not really at the moment, but I'm not where I was, there's no doubt about it "

He also talks of Touring being "unbearable"

He says he'll still record and has another of his own CD's in the pipeline ....but a long way off .........

But I think it will not be long before EC hangs up his Touring shoes ....

Lets make the most of this amazing fella while we can .........and lest hope for a final set of dates at the Royal Albert Hall in London......Total number of appearances so far ...197 .......he's gotta make it 200 at least !! Fingers Crossed :fingerscrossed:

This August 2014 edition of "Uncut" is well worth picking up if you can find it. Also a grand article on Dylan..... and a whole lot more
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

I can certainly see why Eric's left shoulder is out of whack. Mine is giving me trouble, and after trying to figure out why, I had an "Ah Ha" moment. Hang a heavy guitar off of it for two to four nights a week for four to six hours a night, for thirty years, and you are going to have problems. :roll:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:I can certainly see why Eric's left shoulder is out of whack. Mine is giving me trouble, and after trying to figure out why, I had an "Ah Ha" moment. Hang a heavy guitar off of it for two to four nights a week for four to six hours a night, for thirty years, and you are going to have problems. :roll:
Long term RSI with a vengeance!

It's astonishing how well our muscles usually keep going for all these years given what they get put through.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!