Call and response

Talking Blues, news, cool links
MichaelRobinson

Call and response

Post by MichaelRobinson »

An excellent lesson in call and response. This lesson is not difficult to understand but hard to live up to.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W19IV3SO ... BmAPmLMJwU.
Good luck to us all.
vancouverois

Re: Call and response

Post by vancouverois »

Very good and interesting!
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

A great lesson. So much sense talked in such a short space of time.
MichaelRobinson wrote:This lesson is not difficult to understand but hard to live up to
Yes - just like the blues, Easy to play - damn hard to play well!

It's very helpful to try and play while imagining the line being sung by a singer. The odd result from my doing that over the past few years is I've found myself appreciating the skills of singers I never used to listen to or like much. Particularly singers in the more melodic areas of jazzy.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

I do not know how it is for you, except for VB. The problem is that I have a melody in my head when I DO NOT have the guitar in my hands. It happens even that dreem melodyes towards the morning but I can't play it.
As soon as I take the guitar melody is gone. This annoys me a lot because I really want to play with call and response. I'm trying to churn out songs when I have the guitar in my hands and there will be nothing that I want.
Call and response is so important in the blues and being completely blank in the head and squeeze me make me crazy.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

MichaelRobinson wrote:The problem is that I have a melody in my head when I DO NOT have the guitar in my hands. [...]
As soon as I take the guitar melody is gone.
I know this, too. BUT on the other hand, as soon as my fingers touch the strings, they create tones I never thought of. I may dream I can fly, but in reality I prefer running or paddling or...
MichaelRobinson

Okay ... What I want is to be able to play what I have in my head but I do not have perfect pitch and may just a few notes on the fretboard. I like you, 12bar, played by finger memory and tries me to come across the border as I turn my head against.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Another trick is to sing it first, while you still have it in mind, repeat it a few
times (you can even record it) and then try to play it on the guitar.
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

vancouverois wrote:Another trick is to sing it first, while you still have it in mind, repeat it a few
Hawkeye Herman, the teacher I've learned most blues from, recommends trying singing the notes as you play them - and it'll work more and more of the time the more the technique is practiced. It really helps to build up the connection between the note you want to hear and the note you have to play. :thumbsup:

Over 40 years performing now, Hawkeye learned at the feet of many icons of the blues, including: Son House, Brownie McGhee, Bukka White, Mance Lipscomb, Furry Lewis, Lightin' Hopkins, John Jackson, K.C. Douglas, and Sam Chatmon. He got the "Keeping the Blues Alive" Award for achievement in education from the Blues Foundation in Memphis. I guess he should know what he's talking about.

I feel his lessons on JamPlay are great and worth the subscription on their own. Unfortunately, I've worked through them all now and JamPlay seem to be dragging their feet about letting him do more. Strong chance I'll not renew in February - shame as I'll then have been there just over 5 years! :angry:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

vancouverois wrote:Another trick is to sing it first, while you still have it in mind, repeat it a few
It was a clever tips. Record what you sing then and play after that. The problem is that I have COPD so it's very difficult to get air in the lungs to suffice but I'll make an attempt. Perhaps it is sufficient that hum the song.
Now I have ordered the microphone and mic stand microphone and cable. Now it remains to see if it works to hum songs in DAW. I mean if I can hum pure and not false. It is an experiment, so it may be that I threw money away. My COPD is not possible to master, so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the tip.
MichaelRobinson

VikingBlues wrote:
Hawkeye Herman, the teacher I've learned most blues from, recommends trying singing the notes as you play them - and it'll work more and more of the time the more the technique is practiced. It really helps to build up the connection between the note you want to hear and the note you have to play. :thumbsup:

Over 40 years performing now, Hawkeye learned at the feet of many icons of the blues, including: Son House, Brownie McGhee, Bukka White, Mance Lipscomb, Furry Lewis, Lightin' Hopkins, John Jackson, K.C. Douglas, and Sam Chatmon. He got the "Keeping the Blues Alive" Award for achievement in education from the Blues Foundation in Memphis. I guess he should know what he's talking about.

I feel his lessons on JamPlay are great and worth the subscription on their own. Unfortunately, I've worked through them all now and JamPlay seem to be dragging their feet about letting him do more. Strong chance I'll not renew in February - shame as I'll then have been there just over 5 years! :angry:
VB

I took a look at Hawkeye Herman so now you have given me a great tip on who I can learn from, if I want. The problem is the confusion of that there are so many guitar instructors online. It's hard to stick to one and the same. Everyone wants to teach.
MichaelRobinson

bellogi wrote:
MichaelRobinson wrote: The problem is the confusion of that there are so many guitar instructors online. It's hard to stick to one and the same. Everyone wants to teach.
I think you might enjoy "Guitar Lesson with Greg Lasner", really ;-=

Bellogi
There was even a new name. I take a look and see if I can handle this man's "training capacity". There was even a new name. I take a look and see if I can handle this man's "training capacity".

I can not find him online. Have you a link to him?
MichaelRobinson

bellogi wrote:
MichaelRobinson wrote:I can not find him online. Have you a link to him?
http://youtu.be/6_oSSBSvUcc... from there you should find many other vids. Try Red Lasner @ TrueFire dot com.
Or simply go to Steve Lasner – Official Website of Steve "Red" Lasner – Blues Guitarist: <stevelasner.com>

Cheers

Bellogi
Thank's, Bellogi