Crossroads 2013

Talking Blues, news, cool links
tradrrr

Re: Crossroads 2013

Post by tradrrr »

Just got back from NY and saw both shows. I'm not sure I can add much more than the real reviews, but since I haven't had much to contribute to the site lately, I'll give it a go:

Having been to the last 2 Crossroads in Chicago, I was very curious as to how they were going to pull this off being inside and spread over two nights. I found that what they did differently was great. Though I prefer outdoor venues, having experienced the 100 degree days that both of the last two shows happened to have, it was nice to be in a temperature controlled venue. Another difference in the shows was having it spread over two days. The revolving stage was back and in addition, there was a side stage for accoustic acts while the stage revolved. There was never any down time, just performance after performance. What they seemed to do was have some main acts play the first day, then follow up the second day on the smaller (accoustic stage) and vice versa the next day. Finally, Eric Clapton came out and played periodically with bands throughout the night, which was great. Both shows started promptly at 7:30 and ended at 12:15. Almost 5 hours of non-stop music.

Highlights for me were the following:

Night 1:

- EC starting off the show with an inspired accoustic set of Driftin, Wonderful tonight (sorry, 12bar), and . Really, a perfect way to start the evening.

- Buddy guy brought the house down. Though admittedly biased, Buddy really seemed to amp up the crowd. Up until this point, people were enjoying themselves, but Buddy really seemed to notch things up. If you've never seen him, I highly encourage you to do so.

- The Allman Brothers - I've always liked their stuff, but having never seen them live, was quite impressed with them and how much the crowd loved them. They closed the first night with a bang.

- EC playing with the Allman Bros, almost a makeshift Derek and the Dominoes with Trucks standing in for Duane. A

Night 2:

- EC playing with Robbie Robertson and...Keith Richards.

- Keith Urban and John Mayer proved their not just all pop and country when they played the Stones.

- The Allman Bros accoustic set really showed their depth to me.

- Gary Clark Jr, when he rocks out, he is amazing.

At the end, Eric said..."see you in three years". Which led me to start dreaming of the next venue. Where should it be? I personally would like it to be over the pond, in say...London. Any other suggestions?
Let me tell you what the blues is....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks for the review! Sounds really great, I hope there will be a DVD soon. :pray:

London is a good idea, maybe I would try to get there :dance:
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

The CD and DVD are finally out.

I also heard a rumor that there will be a crossroads tour in several cities this year. I have no idea if this is credible, but I hope it is....
Let me tell you what the blues is....