John Mayer at Berklee

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

John Mayer at Berklee

Post by Strummer07 »

This is a series of You tube clips by John Mayer. They are in the form of an address or a Teach-in/ Masterclass to the students of his former Music College in the US , The Berklee College of Music in Boston Mass.
John studied there for 2 semesters before dropping out to become famous and successful !! :D
I think there are altogether 9 of them ...I am just posting what I think is the most instantly useful - that on building and creating a Guitar solo which is #5
The others adress having clear expectations , The art of Songwriting, Songwriting Problems, Finding "it" in you, some song demonstrations etc. Well worth searching for !
I think its a really useful set of dvd;s and I thank my chum, 12 bar member Golfxzq for bringing them to my attention ( his guitar playing grandson "discovered" them online )
Whether you are a fan of Mayer ( and I am ) this is a well crafted series of dvd's with a good bit of learning in them ( its aimed, obviously, at the students in his audience, but I have found plenty in them ) ..In Many instances I would have seen these sold as a Commercial bundle - Nice to see them on -line and free !! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQOpbxnB ... e=youtu.be

Enjoy !

Thoughts , Comments and observations ... I would have thought this as a decent topic for 12 bar discussion

Is there a place for the "Masterclass" in Popular Music education ?
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Re: John Mayer at Berklee

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks for the link to the video clip. :thumbsup:

A good demo right enough - and demonstrates a good technique for structuring that I hear the really good players here manage on blues solos.

Of course - knowing what is needed and managing to do what is needed ..... two different things and the latter is the most tricky by far.

Good food for thought though - and a looksee at the others in the series is on the agenda for me.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
VikingBlues

Re: John Mayer at Berklee

Post by VikingBlues »

I've managed to watch the set now. It's a fair chunk of time but worth the effort I feel. :D

Thank you Strummer and Golfxzq (hope he's well) for bringing these to our attention. :thumbsup: Like you I found a good deal of interest in them. John Mayer speaks with a great deal of clarity of thinking showing through.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!