Old News ?? 3rd Robert Johnson Photo

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

Old News ?? 3rd Robert Johnson Photo

Post by Strummer07 »

I'll be honest and say I thought there was only 2 known photo's of the bluesman Robert Johnson, that is what all the sleeve notes suggest anyway

Turns out there is a 3rd ( unless its April Fools day early !!)

This is courtesy of the web site
http://www.americanbluesscene.com/
Appears this is not such new news and has been around a while .. there is a certificate of authenticity the site above

Sure looks like him ! and for me this picture shows him looking quite the Ladies man , which he was supposed to be :D .... and what supposed to be the death of him in the end !!

You gotta go out some way ... may as well go out with a big smile on your face !! :lol: Ladies can do that ! ( or so I'm told !!)
Attachments
Robert-Johnson-poses-with-010.jpg
Robert-Johnson-poses-with-010.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Old News ?? 3rd Robert Johnson Photo

Post by 12bar »

It came out first in 2008, but has only recently been confirmed:
The two confirmed images of Johnson were located in 1973, in the possession of the musician's half-sister Carrie Thompson, and were not widely published until the late 1980s. A third photo, purporting to show Johnson posing with fellow blues performer Johnny Shines, was published in the November 2008 edition of Vanity Fair magazine[93] and was authenticated in 2013.[94] The same article claims that other photographs of Johnson, so far unpublished, may exist.
(wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson)
Blindboy

Re: Old News ?? 3rd Robert Johnson Photo

Post by Blindboy »

That's pretty cool. I have seen it before, but it hadn't been authenticated yet. He was pretty young looking it this photo.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"