Top 50 Guitar Albums of all time !!??

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

Top 50 Guitar Albums of all time !!??

Post by Strummer07 »

Well according to The Gibson website
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/F ... bums-0730/ :music2:

These are the Top 50 Guitar Albums of all time .( Top ten only here )

1. Van Halen, Van Halen (1978)
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced (1967)
3. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
4. Derek and the Dominos, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (1970)
5. Guns N’ Roses, Appetite for Destruction (1987)
6. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II (1969)
7. The Allman Brothers Band, At Fillmore East (1971)
8. Cream, Disraeli Gears (1967)
9. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Electric Ladyland (1968)
10. AC/DC, Back in Black (1980)

As it's been voted for by visitors to the Gibson website I suspect its biased towards heavier Guitar albums ... Van Halen at #1 ?? and more towards US artists

I have to say its the first time I've looked at one of these lists and actually not known the artist ..never mind the album !! :icon_whoknows:

11. Television, Marquee Moon (1977)???
34. The Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Inner Mounting Flame (1971)??????.......Have I missed something here ????
35. Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, Live (1978)????

Never heard of 'em !!

and never seen so many Ozzy Osbourne records listed anywhere ??

Still its a list for what its worth ,..................and if you like Zakk Wilde ( I'm not a fan ) ........he's doing some little videos of each 10 on the website.

Any thoughts ??

It Wouldn't be my list ....but its worth putting out here.......as we are all budding guitar gods !! :music2:

Aren't we ?? :guitarist:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Top 50 Guitar Albums of all time !!??

Post by 12bar »

Strummer07 wrote: 34. The Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Inner Mounting Flame (1971)??????.......Have I missed something here ????
It's John McLaughlin, one of the most skilled (but for me most boring) guitarists out there. His technical skills are unbelievable, but for me there's no soul.

Anyway, those lists are fun to read, but they say nothing. :music1:
VikingBlues

Re: Top 50 Guitar Albums of all time !!??

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:
Strummer07 wrote: 34. The Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Inner Mounting Flame (1971)??????.......Have I missed something here ????
It's John McLaughlin, one of the most skilled (but for me most boring) guitarists out there. His technical skills are unbelievable, but for me there's no soul.

Anyway, those lists are fun to read, but they say nothing. :music1:
Agreed on both counts. :thumbsup:

John McLaughlin (born Doncaster UK) is one of those guitarists that probably know every chord and scale in every position on the fretboard - instantly plays any one of those augmented flattened diminished weird chords you occasionally see and don't understand and find impossible to tie your fingers in the right knots to even play it. Jazz Rock fusion with the Mahavishnu - music for the head (if you feel so inclined) and possibly feet (due to Billy Cobham on drums - possessor as I think I recall rightly one of the fastest paradiddles around!), but NOT the heart at all. They also had Jan Hammer on keyboards - anyone else confess to watching the TV series Miami Vice way back - Jan Hammer did all the music for that. McLaughlin sort of brought shred to Jazz Rock before shred was a named concept. He later went on to do Jazz/Indian fusion with Shakti. In 2003, McLaughlin was ranked 49th in Rolling Stone magazine list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". Another one of THOSE PESKY lists.

I must dip into the Guitar Albums list later to see how many choices will annoy the hell out of me.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

More Lists

Post by Strummer07 »

I'm not usually a big fan of lists
nor am I fan of the "who's best " discussion arena ......its all subjective and it depends who is making up the list .. or who audience who voted is etc etc .

So i won't start yet another 'Fred' to bring you yet another ..you got it !!.....List .....I'll tuck it in here...............

The key to all this is that ........
August holds the 20th Anniversary of the death of Stevie Ray Vaughan.
To mark this "Music Radar ...a website linked I think to one of the large UK publishing houses , I found it via the UK Guitarist magazine

Anyway last week they did a Blues Tribute .to Mark SRV's anniversay .and to be honest it is worth a look

23 different Blues Topic Areas from
10 best amps for blues
Top 25 Women Blues singers
Interviews with BBKing / Slash / Joe Bonamassa etc / Jimmy Ray Vaughan remebers etc
Tons of stuff on SRV , if he's your man
and a top offering of free Blues Music Lessons ............Play like Albert King etc

So its worth dipping into .

The site is also a bit of a treasure trove for Gear reviews.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... dar-265926

The No1 feature on the Anniverary feature .............is a list !!! ( I know !!)

Top 25 Blues Guitarits of all time .as voted for by the subscribers or visitors to Music Radar .so a fair few folk I'd imagine

Here's the Top Ten ...if you want more of the top 25 or to check out the 23 articles in the SRV Anniversary extravaganza !!

10 - John Lee Hooker
9 - Muddy Waters
8 - Buddy Guy
7 - Peter Green
6 - Rory Gallagher
5 - Robert Johnson .( I wonder if this was before the news that his records may have been speeded up ??)
4 - Eric Clapton
3 - BB King
2- Jimi Hendrix
1 - Stevie Ray Vaughan ...Well theres a surprise !!

Not a bad bunch articles and if you fancy a browse or a free lesson .......its all there................
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Re: More Lists

Post by VikingBlues »

Strummer07 wrote: 10 - John Lee Hooker
9 - Muddy Waters
8 - Buddy Guy
7 - Peter Green
6 - Rory Gallagher
5 - Robert Johnson .( I wonder if this was before the news that his records may have been speeded up ??)
4 - Eric Clapton
3 - BB King
2- Jimi Hendrix
1 - Stevie Ray Vaughan ...Well theres a surprise !!
That's a pretty strong list of players - looking through the 25 the same can be said - there was one new name on me but a quick sample of their playing, and yes they're damn good. There'll always be quibbles about whether X or Y should be higher or lower on the list but with a list of this quality I think it becomes more a question of personal taste in musical style rather than skill as a player. I would put Hubert Sumlin, Freddie King and Peter Green (you'll be amazzed to hear!) higher for example, but it wouldn't be that they're better players than the ones I'd put them above.

You did well with this one Strummer - it's the first Top xx list for music that I've seen for a long time that hasn't got me spluttering in indignation at the voters stupidity. :big_smile:

Thanks for the heads up on the Music Radar Blues item. Only a quick glance but looks much more in depth than the typical guitar magazines attempt at a blues article. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
LeftyBlues

Re: More Lists

Post by LeftyBlues »

Strummer07 wrote:5 - Robert Johnson .( I wonder if this was before the news that his records may have been speeded up ??)
I'm not certain how recent that discovery was. It's new to me, but I bet that its pretty old by internet standards.
I think a less subjective way of doing it would be to make a list by their "blues genres". Like who is the best texas blues guitarist or who is the best chicago blues guitarist.