I think I have a band

Talking Blues, news, cool links
ratfinkdan

I think I have a band

Post by ratfinkdan »

Hey guys

I think I have a band, I have been trying to find some guys to play with for a couple of years now, its easy to find people who want to do something but its hard to find guys that are willing to commit to really getting togeather and doing it. I play in the band at church and have played in this group for quite a number of years, so got an email from one of our old bass players wanting to get togeather and jam, so we set a day ( yesterday, saturday) well got thinking it would be cool to have drums. so I called one of our old drummers and he was in, so called one of our singers so we had a band. then one of the other guys mentioned it to another drummer/ singer and he popped in and played congas and sang some, plus we have a keyboard player who is being transfered back to the area who is interested and I taked with another singer today.

Were not really a blues band more bluesy gospel, we have all played togeather at different times through the years in the church band, was really fun. Didn't have any real expectation going into this, didn't know if it would be a one time thing or not, but everyone had a great time and wants to get togeather a couple times a month just for fun to make a bunch of noise and see what happens with it. So we have me guitar, bass, drums, congas, 3 singers and one background singer plus hopefully a keyboard. Funny how some times when you least expect it things just fall togeather, guess its all timing, anyway it was a lot of fun and hopefully it will continue for a while. Dan
tytlblues

Re: I think I have a band

Post by tytlblues »

Wow, that's great....that's what it is all about right? Getting together to jam with friends and make some cool music.....Envy written all over my face right now! Good luck and hope you have a great time...and of course some recordings posted along the way :)
Last edited by tytlblues on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I agree with tytle.
Envy is what I feel couse I have tryed to get a band and faild.

Good luck with youre jam's.
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Thanks guys, TB your right that is what it about making music with other folks, it is so much more fun playing with others compared to playing by our self in our room although we have to do that also. MR hang in there its taken me a few years to do this and I have gotten discouraged many times, but you have to keep trying! I'll keep you posted as it goes. Dan
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Great to hear Dan :thumbsup: - glad you're getting the opportunity to do something that you've been working on for so long.

I do feel quite relived not to feel the envy that Tytl and MR mention. Must be because I'm anti social I guess, or maybe I'm just too selfish to share my musical journey with other musicians! :whistle:

Good luck and I truly hope it all goes well for you all. :fingerscrossed:
tytlblues wrote:...and of course some recordings posted along the way :)
I would like to hear that too!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Sounds great! And having 3 singers is already deluxe! :dance:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Congratulations! :thumbsup:
You should find your playing moving to another level as you and your band start working on arrangements. Shifting smoothly from rhythm to lead and back can be challenging. Fortunately, the Keyboard player will help in the transitions. Great that you have singers. That has always been the stumbling block for most bands that I have been in.
I, too look forward to hearing any recordings.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Ok time for a little update, We have gotten togeather a few times although we missed a couple times around the holidays. So started up again yesterday, it is hard getting a band togeather, I ended up being the one to organize it by default I guess. I figured with 3 guys who can sing we would have a least one there every practice, wrong! have really only had a singer once, so its time to lean on the singers are you in or out we really are trying to move forward but need vocals , so we'll see what happens with that might have to look for some one who can really commit. Have always heard through friends that are in bands that singers are the worst!

Yersterday was just guitar, bass, and drums the keyboard guys is in the process of moving so once he gets settled in he should be back. although our bass player is wanting to transfer with his work so who knows there, did talk with the drummer and he and I are willing to hang in there for the long haul, and we both want to start really working on tunes to get a set list togaether so thats encouraging. Even though its trying its still fun getting togeather and playing one practice we didn't have any singers so we just jammed on blues stuff for a few hours!

We are playing bluesy gospel rock n roll type stuff, so one of the bands that were trying to learn a few of their songs ( thirdday), their kind of a southern rock sort of sound. I'm really trying to get these tunes down as close as I can, and even thought the leads aren't really hard I'm finding it really makeing me listen and think outside of my normal boxes, some of the note choices they use although they sound really cool its why these notes or why do these notes work with this progression. Plus its really making me use my ears more to learn some of the solos, I'm not really good at that and am usually kind of lazy with copping other peoples solos so this is really good practice for me and no I can't always play them exactly as they did I try to get as much of it as I can then fill in the rest with a little bit of me. Can see this will really help me to grow as a player . So thats where we are at, at this point still hanging in there a bit frustrating but still a lot of fun, I'll post some updates as it progress's and hopefully we can get to the point I can post a recording or something you can listen too. Dan