Eric Clapton New Album 2010!

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Golfxzq

Re: Eric Clapton New Album 2010!

Post by Golfxzq »

Hi All... just thought I would take a peak at the site tonight... haven't been around lately, I've been a little tied up on another grueling project. Looking forward to the new EC album, looks like it is going to be a hit. As for EC himself, I think they probably preened him up a bit for the photo... I don't think he gives a hoot about how he looks as long as he sounds good. I noticed in the Crossroads movie of the guitar festival in Chicago the most groomed entertainers were the background singers and ZZ Top.

Later
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Strummer07

Are these the song versions on EC's New CD

Post by Strummer07 »

Tks 12 Bar ...............Apart from a Price .............the Amazon site doesn't reveal much does it !!

If you take a look through the list of songs here , and do a spot of googling ............there are some good numbers on this much anticipated cd

Here's the results of a bit of my slewthing ....you don't have to watch all the you tube bits .....but they are worth a deco if your short on things to do today ...Like I must have been !!

1) Travelin Alone .....was part of the sit down set on the Japan tour 2009
http://www.guitar-tube.com/watch/eric-c ... elin-alone

2) Rocking Chair ......it could be the one written by Hoagy Carmicheal - It was first recorded by Louis Armstrong at Okeh studios in the 1930s

3) River Runs Deep....Written by his old mate ... none other than JJ Cale

[youtube]JYJ9cdVzZcA[/youtube]

4) Judgement Day ....dunno about this one .. too many versions

5). How Deep Is The Ocean........ If its the Irving Berlin standard .everyone's had a go at this song inc Frank Sinatra !! .....is there another well know Blues version ??

6) My very good friend the Milkman .is this the Fats Waller song ???? ........I hope EC does something with it if it is !!!

[youtube]-kgcevIKzvk[/youtube]

7) Cant Hold on much Longer ..........is it the Little Walter version ??

[youtube]EB3DlXf6NgQ[/youtube]

8) Thats no way to get along ............an Original Rev. Robert Wilkins' song

[youtube]RncpJYtuW38[/youtube]

9) Everything Will Be Alright...again a lot of versions including one by The Killers and one adopted by Obama .....?? who knows ??? :icon_whoknows:

10) Diamonds Made From Rain................drawn a blank here ?? :icon_whoknows:

11) When someone thinks youre Wonderful ...Love song by Woods and Dunn .............covered by Bryan Ferry ( Not one of his best IMO .. and I do hope if this is it EC does not go the swing route !!)

[youtube]ugGAcva-w1U[/youtube]

12) hard Times Blues ...............Can only seem to find Hard Time Killing Floor Blues ...but this could be a great track :thumbsup:

[youtube]BC_5eSkQudw[/youtube]

13) Run Back To Your Side.....too many versions .can't be sure which on it is ????

14) Autumn Leaves ......is it the standard ............"Autumn Leaves" ?????? a much-recorded popular song. Originally it was a 1945 French song "Les feuilles mortes" (literally "The Dead Leaves") with music by Joseph Kosma and lyrics by poet Jacques Prévert. Yves Montand (with Irène Joachim) introduced "Les feuilles mortes" in 1946 in the film Les Portes de la Nuit.[1] The American songwriter Johnny Mercer wrote English lyrics in 1947
Nat King Cole and Eva Cassidy have recorded it ...........among many many others......a really Lovely tune.

So until Sept 28th ....or a bit more info is released .....that this best I can offer !!

Sounds like it could a really good album though !!! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

http://www.freep.com/article/20100815/E ... -Intimacy-

on page 2
After five decades and dozens of albums, we're getting, at last, simply "Clapton" (***, Reprise). Due Sept. 27, this latest record from Eric Clapton tacks another chapter onto his lifelong fascination with Americana. And like his 2006 collaboration with JJ Cale, it skips the adult-contemporary blahs that have plagued so much of his latter-day work.

The music is as refreshingly unadorned as the title, a dizzyingly diverse batch of covers and originals played straight and assured by Clapton and his band. It's precisely the sort of effort you might expect at this point from the 65-year-old stalwart, mingling spare bluesy fare -- like the dark opening cut "Travelin' Alone" -- and pop standards ("How Deep is the Ocean," "Autumn Leaves") with a cultivated sensibility.

Many of these songs have become familiar to fans of the guitarist's live show, and there's a pleasant exuberance in Clapton's summoning of left-field bluesmen such as Snooky Pryor ("Judgement Day") and Robert Wilkins ("That's No Way to Get Along"). If this is the Eric Clapton we're going to get from here out, we'll be waiting with ears wide open.

Read more: Kem brings soulful romance to 'Intimacy' | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20100815/E ... z0wqIR2n5F
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=234&start=20

Here is the version of Run Back To Your Side. Which was the "slide song" from the Euro tour with Winwood.

This a pretty cool blues number, played with slides for all of the solos.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Hi tombstone

Would you mind reposting that link

The one that is in your note just takes you back to the top of the thread !! ...wierd !!

Thanks
Gary Moore 1952-2011
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

http://blogs.eagle969.com/derek/2010/08 ... your-side/

That is really strange

In the event that this one changes also, just google search "Clapton run back to your side" (without the quotes, apparently) and click the link that says "Eagle 96.9 Hear the new Eric Clapton track"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDRbxq7KQXM

That is the EC/SW version from the tour.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Good Find Matey :thumbsup:

That link works fine

Good track too ..nice driving style and the slide and guiatr both work well ..sounds promising
and a good selection of folk guesting on the Album too from the write up.

This track is certainly a better crafted and bluesier offering than "Diamonds made from Rain" ....which felt a bit 'leaden'
Gary Moore 1952-2011
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:I think we deserve a pre-release/teaser here at 12bar! :lol:
:thumbsup: :clap:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

You can listen to "Run Back To You're Side" on Where's Eric. Run Back to You're Side = (Slide Song A)
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
alovisi

Post by alovisi »

The new album gets a 4* review in the upcoming issue of Mojo, and is album of the month to boot. Both of the previewed tracks are listed as highlights.
Anyone else aware of reviews in any mainstream music/guitar publications yet?
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

The new song sounds great to me! How come 'Where's eric' gets the exclusive? I think we should work to make 12bar the official site! jk.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Yes, there is a preview player for all songs on-line !

http://farm.sproutbuilder.com/load/LAAM ... 1282346112
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I couldn't resist and pre ordered :

:drool:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Yes, there is a preview player for all songs on-line !

http://farm.sproutbuilder.com/load/LAAM ... 1282346112
Good post - gives a good preview of the album. Well found HBL. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks HBL! Some nice Blues on the album, sounds to tend to the New Orleans style.
weelie

Post by weelie »

Thanks for the preview link!

Oh there's two JJ Cale songs on it! :) Though the only song I thought I hear JJ Cale in was not a JJ song ("That's no way to get along")

I dig the old timey feel of the album. I can now already say it's the best EC album.. *at least* for a decade... for me.
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Wow! The new "Clapton" album is going to be amazing!!! :nuts: I'm going to be glued to this preview player all day!!!! :high5:
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Good find HBl .. thanks .....I am slightly envious of you're having pre-ordered the extra special version with piccies and stuff!! ....I've just ordered the Common or Garden version. :alright:

anyway .as a subscriber to UK's "Guitarist magizine .I get if before it hits the shops .which is good sometimes ........and this time it's most certainly handy
'Cos the new EC album is the 1st Big Review in their 'Music Section' ..........Nice Picture and all ( short haired )

Guitarist mag .give it a hugely respectable 4 **** .and give it a "Guitarist Choice" sticker !! ............OOOoooh!!

I'm not sure it would be very fair to the mag to lift the whole review onto this site but here's a few sound bites

"We wern't expecting this- Eric Claptons latest album is packed with Punchy Tones, Stormy Vocals and great playing - and its musical variety recalls the best of his 70's output "

Praise indeed!!

"Guitar wise, there's loads to get stuck into. Its guess the gear time as strikingly contrasting tones unfurl one after another- some classic , some entirely unexpected , some never heard beforeon a Clapton Record "

"The 65 year old EC has definately found a new lease of life "

" River Runs Deep is classic JJ Cale ( He pops up throughout the album) with lush orchestration and a stinging solo that sounds like a wound up tele- there's even backwards guitar"

"Judgement Days gospel backing vocals, honky tonk piano and harmonica decorate a jaunty 12 bar that's not alone in its lyrical pre-occupation with the narrators impending doom! "

" Close your eyes and you coul be witnessing an olde Chicago blues session with the version of Little Walters ' Can't Hold Out Much Longer' embellished with Cream-style solo tones and Sumlin-esque licks "

" and if we had to pick a highlight , we'ed take Run Back to Your Side- its sounds like Crossroads , its full of energy and has an absolutely cracking Trucks/ Clapton guitar duel over the Outro .. So there you have it.The worlds most famous Guitar Player is Back in Business Once Again" .

Standout tracks .....Travellin Alone , Can't Hold Out Much longer and That's No way to get Along.

Thanks Guitarist Mag .....

This sounds like a cracking cd and the sound bites that HBL has found rather confirm that in spades .....

Roll on 28th Sept!! :thumbsup:
Gary Moore 1952-2011
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Hello Everyone! :lol:

I was just roaming around on Facebook this morning, and since I'm a fan on Facebook of "Eric Clapton" somebody posted this new exclusive interview! The interview is all about Eric Clapton talking about his new album "Clapton". It's not a script interview, it's real live Clapton! :nuts:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 6217993001
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco