Almost Always Never - Not Convinced

Talking Blues, news, cool links
VikingBlues

Almost Always Never - Not Convinced

Post by VikingBlues »

I feel I ought, as someone who has frequently sung the praises of Joanne Shaw Taylor on this board mention some reservations I have about the most recent album - "Almost Always Never". I have mentioned on another thread how much I was looking forward to the album.

Before I go any further I'll say that it has had a lot of very good reviews so it's quite possibly just me that's out of step with current musical tastes.

For me the first two albums sounded pretty much like live studio recordings of a three piece blues group - very little over-dubbing, very little mulit tracking and all instruments souding like they were recorded in the same environment. The first two albums were recorded in Tennessee, with producer Jim Gaines (SRV, Albert Collins, Bobby Mack) at the helm, and the rhythm section of Steve Potts on drums, and David Smith on bass. Plus Rick Steff on keyboards on the second album. I have the feeling that for those of us with a more "old-fashioned" preference for blues this was a good team. There is an obvious influnce on these albums down from the SRV / Albert Collins branch of the blues. Album two was probably more skewed towards the rockier end of the blues rock genre but not by a huge amount.

The new album is produced by Mike McCarthy (made his name with Texas Indie band Spoon) and what Classic Rock Blues Magazine referred to as a bunch of bright new musicians. There is a lot more multi-tracking - two rhythm guitar tracks as well as keyboards on one of the tracks for example, there is a lot of sound manipulation going on, and most of the mixes are very, very busy. And to my ears a quite a lot of the lead guitar sounds don't sound that much like a natural sound of guitar through amp - and often sound like they were recorded in a different ambient setting to the other instruments.

There are some tracks that are close to the style of the first two albums, but maybe only about a half of them. There's two that are fine for me until the final guitar solo part after the song where she "goes off on one" and I'd want to fade out. I have seen the word ferocious mentioned about the soloing on this album - the word was used in a positive manner but I must admit that too ferocious is not a positive thing for me. There is one purely acosutic blues number (which she's not doen on previous albums) that is great - it seems a bit like an blues oasis in the middle of a rock desert. The other tracks, to my ears, are skewed in genre to the exent that I find it difficult to percieve much blues at all particularly where the lead solos take place.

I have no issues at all regarding vocals - very good blues singing. Joanne Shaw Taylor has also been pretty much associated with Telecaster style guitars. I notice that all pictures on the new album have her clutching a Les Paul and certainly a lot of the guitar sounds on the new album are very un-Fendery.

There is an interview with her in the same Classic Rock Magazine where she mentions SRV is "always going to be one of her influences" but he's "kind of like her first boyfriend". She's been watching YouTube videos of players she'd not previously studied that play "a little more outside the blues box". I think that says it all.

So ..... many of you may like it a lot - but please don't think it'll be much in the style of the first two albums if you've heard and liked them. I really don't know why none of the reviews I've seen in professional publications haven't mentioned the fairly big changes. It's a shame none of the available sound clips I could hear before purchase seemed to cover any of the new "style" parts of the CD.

Her first album "White Sugar" is still one of my favourite blues albums and gets regularly played.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

Re: Almost Always Never - Not Convinced

Post by Strummer07 »

Sadly I am going to agree with VB

As an advocate of Ms Shaw Taylor and a very hapy bunny with both album #1 "White Sugar" and #2 "Diamonds in the Dust"... I waited for this album with some high expectations ....too high it would seem ! sadly !! :alright:

Its not a bad album for sure .. and almost every review I've read ( and that is a goodly few now) absolutely rave about it. ... and it seems to be doing quite well commercially ! But if one was loking for an advance on the 1st two .. this is not it ! ...In My opinion !

I've actually held off doing any form of review so I could try and let the album grow on me a bit .... and I've found some nice things ..........

It has all the possibilities of being good too ... Joannes voice is realy coming on and maturing as a blues singer.
She's written all the songs ( Except 1 co-written and 1 cover "Jealousy" .. which is well done )
and she plays a mean guitar
She is a real talent and an unusual one at that .. a lady in Blues territory .. be a great shame if she just fizzled out !
Plus there are some really good, well crafted songs on it too .......with some nice melody lines

But

There are to many "Spoilers" for me.

For Instance .....the very 1st track ..."Soul Station" is a very heavy Blues Rock ...Noise ! quite turned me off the album and not on !

then it grows quite nicely and theres' some decent tracks .. before again , misplaced or overindulgent guitar solo's or just way too heavy sounding guitar pops up and literally "goes off on one " and spoils a pretty good number. there's at least 2 tracks where that happens. Feel like you want to reach for a fade button and keep the good bit !

I think I blame the Producer more than Joanne. This is a poorly produced or an overproduced album.

Usually its the 2nd album that is the "difficult" one ... Joanne carried that off real well .... But this is a bit like the "Curates Egg" .. its good in parts .

Probelm is .... Will joanne listen to the Critical acclaim and go further down this road ?? ...(I do hope not!!)

Or will she hear me and VB and think again !! .. Revert to "White Sugar" and real Bluesy Territory .......Please !!Joanne

One can live in hope !!
I have tickets to go see her in London in two weeks ......so we'll see what it all sounds like live and I do hope she's telecastered up for the Gig !! .. and NOT Les Pauled .......fingers crossed.
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Joanne Shaw Talyor at the Leicester Square Theatre , London 16th October
Well ! in spite of my slight reservations of the latest album "Almost Always Never" ... when it comes to live shows .. Joanne has to be seen to be believed !
Tremendous energy , sensational guitar playing and her singing just gets better and better - her voice has developed immensely in the past 12-18 months. A lovely smokey charectar to it and a very fetching break in it as well.. but when she want to belt it out .... she most certainly can. !! :clap:

Obviously with a new album on the streets a lot of the material was from that .. but she dipped into "Diamonds in the dirt" and "White Sugar" as well .. She now has an awesome portfolio of songs ! Strangely a couple of the songs that I wasn't so keen on album wise .. work well live .. they make more sense.
For instance I was especially not keen on Soul Station on the album .... found it very heavy and Blues Rock. Well blues Rock it most certainly is....... .and as a set opener ..it grabs you and demands you listen in !
Good start !

A set of almost 2 hours without a break .it was all grand stuff

Visually Joanne is stunning... small, pretty and that mane of blonde hair which she tosses about very alluringly .. this is one sassy lady.
we were pretty close to the stage so I could actually see her hands on the fretboard .and she is fantasically deft and quick,she works the whole fretboard and plays some interesting shapes !! ...She also has an amazing fret span for somone with very small hands .. and is constantly adjusting her tone and volume...in fact she actually get a lot of really cool sounds out of the guitar controls .. and a good bit of tapping and some very clever play with the natural harmonics.......

This lady is No Lightweight ................she can really play the guitar :clap:
added with the fact that she plays both rhythm and lead ..and all while singing .......Pretty stunning stuff !

and then add in ............... all but about 2 of the songs she sung ..............she wrote as well !! Respect !

After seeing this diminutive gal sock it to us for 2 hours and not a wrong note ...............and being aware that she is just 26 years old !! .. I am tempted to hang up every guitar I own and call it a day !! ( But I shan't !! :D ) .. but one has to appreciate the amazing talent and hard work this Girl has put in.
26 !!! Its just not fair ! She's a mere babe !! ..and out there belting it out .... Great Looks, Big Talent , Great singer !! ...........

I guess I'll just have to get by on my Looks !! :lol:

Last time I saw her she played Fender Tele's ..... this gig she alternated between 2 very handsome Les Pauls, a Sunburst and a very swish Goldtop. Big Big sounds from both ....and boy does she wring every Ounce of tone from them ( Via a very Retro Looking "Lewis Electra" Amp not a name I know .. But a belting amp live for sure !!) ..But I was really pleased that for the encore she strapped on a trusty Cream Strat ................and I realise that its the Fender sound that really "Does it" for me.

Only 14 UK gigs planned so catch her while she is here ( VB ... Glasgow..02 ABC in a week .. 26th .. Don't miss a real treat !)

If you're into set lists ......'ere 'tis .....

Soul Station
2. Tied & Bound
3. Beautifully Broken
4. Watch 'em Burn
5. Diamonds In The Dirt
6. Manic Depression (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
7. You Should Stay, I Should Go
8. Almost Always Never
9. Jealousy (Frankie Miller cover)
10. Kiss The Ground Goodbye
11. Just Another Word
12. Jump That Train
13. Going Home
Encore:
14. Lose Myself To Loving You
15. Dead and Gone

Too many favourites to mention really .. it was just a grand gig .......But Jealousy had to be right up there ..along with Jump that Train and Dead and Gone in the Encore .....superbly done !!

Well done That gal .....All credit ..............26 !! :icon_whoknows: ..................makes you wanna spit !! :motz:
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Great to hear how much you enjoyed the evening Strummer! :thumbsup:

Also glad to hear that, as we hoped, JSTs live show would benefit from no over=production and double tracking etc that for me plagued the new album.

JST plays the rhythm /lead mix style of a guitarist in a power trio so well she absolutely to me does not need any studio trickery at all. However as we both observed there were so many good reviews of the CD around so I could just have a blind spot for what was done. I can't help thinking however that a CD recording ought to reflect the sort of sounds you get from those musicians when they play live - in the way that "Tommy" Live at Leeds makes sense to me and sounds like The Who while the album doesn't.

Maybe the next CD will return to that "live" style. I live in hope, but I'll not rush out and buy so quick next time. Don't like to have to sell a CD within a couple of weeks of buying it 'cos it makes me feel like an idiot. (I know I probably am one but I don't want reminded! :roll: ).

"Jealousy" was very good on the CD - not surprised it was a stand-out. That "Soul Station" could be so great live after what it did to my head on the CD recording says it all for me about the production on the CD. It would be great if JST could do a "live" recording from a tour with this material so the fans have recordings that are more like the real thing - But then it's up to JST and her management what sort of direction the albums take.

I won't be able to go and see the gig in Glasgow - the furthest I've been from the house this last fortnight is 15 minutes away - the trip to Glasgow would be too risky if I got an gastritis episode again. Not out of teh woods yet. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

JST - Live in London - Brilliant !!

Post by Strummer07 »

Just a couple of pics from the london Gig
I did't take them ... my camera shots are OK but not very detailed , this guy was sitting just along from me !
Great views
Super gig

What a lady !
Joanne 2012 2.jpg
Joanne 2012 2.jpg (77.23 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
Joanne 2012.jpg
Joanne 2012.jpg (292.75 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
Gary Moore 1952-2011