need help

Talking Blues, news, cool links
2WheelsOfBlues

need help

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Guys...

Need some help over here.
I'm playing the same things over and over, maybey in a different way, but it stays in a circle.

Are the tips to break out????
I know the ladders, but to make a different pattern on a bt is hard to come with something new (for me).
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
Blindboy

Re: need help

Post by Blindboy »

That's a tough one. :roll: I'm going through that right now. (I seem to go through it regularly. :wall: )
You might try switching guitars, trying a new sound (you got a cybertwin didn't you?), try learning slide, try playing with your fingers instead of a pick, try playing with a pick instead of your fingers. Anything to jolt you out of the rut. Playing with other musicians often helps a great deal. Even if they aren't as good as you, they usually know something you don't.
Good luck! The dreaded "plateau" is a major bugaboo for all guitar players. You can get through it. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Not sure I can really add anything to Blindboys very good advice.

It is a problem that seems to strike so many of us. I do find a change in style for a while often helps me to come back to blues with something a bit different after a while - I tend towards jazzy or melodic modal sort of styles for doing this.

If you normally play with backing tracks try just playing around with a guitar on it's own, or the other way round.

Maybe listening to some different styles of music. Maybe try playing around with some open tunings even if it's not using a slide.

If playing lead stuff maybe try limiting yourself to just a few notes, so you have to get the maximum out of phrasing and dynamics.

Good luck anyway - hope you find something that'll help you get out of the rut. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Thanks guys,

But what i meen is, i can't think of something else, when it's not on paper in front of me, then i do not know what to do.
Then i go back to the songs i know and play that in a different order or a different patern.

I will try the things you writing... :handshake:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I know too good what you mean. Not having much time to practice at all (not even to stay up to date with the forum and all those great songs posted :tears: ) I usually fall back to play what I know. There are only a few songs I can play completely if anyone asks me to "play something". If I hear something that I like, I quickly fiddle out how to play it (one of the few things I'm good at) but as soon as I know it, I lose interest. :icon_whoknows:
Currently I'm playing Metallica and Scarborough Fair :yikes: , but I've already found another song from Bruce with a cool intro (Downbound Train) and started playing that before finishing the other one. That's me, and if I have more time I'll work on that. But for now I happy with what I do. :big_smile:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Metallica? Dude....... I thought u were a bluesman to the core :music2: ha ha thats cools since rock/metal grew out of blues anyways.....it's all good :high5:
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

tytlblues wrote:Metallica? Dude....... I thought u were a bluesman to the core :music2:
I am , I am! :mercy:
This song (nem) has a special meaning to me and it's the only one with James playing the solo... nice fingerpicking.