Robert Cray - New CD

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

Robert Cray - New CD

Post by Strummer07 »

Robert Cray has a new CD out soon .....Sept I think
"Nothing but Love" and via Facebook he' popping out some teasers of the recording process on various tracks

Sounds good to me ...and inetersting to see he plays and sings even when recording ... some fel!la

this sounds like "Must Buy" to me :thumbsup:

Along with Joanne Shaw Taylors newey

Here's Robert

hjfjDkqaCkE

and

T7-swh1RSMw

There's more on facebook ( 5 so far I think .. belting clips .. good sound for You Tube too !!) .............sounds a goodun to me

Check out the Bass player ...One cool dude !! :music2:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Re: Robert Cray - New CD

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks for letting us know about this one. :thumbsup:

I do keep meaning to investagate Robert Crays music - he does after all play very much at the clean end of the guitar tones spectrum - so you'd think it would be right up my street. The clips do sound good.

Here's a live clup of the first track and an interview on MusicRadar
http://beta.musicradar.com/news/guitars ... ove-558254

In passing - I saw a snippet about his playing recently. To get enough sustain to cut hrough in the group setting he used a great deal of vibrato. So much so apparently that he needs to get his main guitar refretted every ............. 6 months!!!! :eye_rub:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Talking Of Joanne Shaw Taylor .......17th September for release of "Almost Always Never"

Here's a review ..from the internet "Musicocis" site ...
http://www.musicosis.co.uk/?p=1755

Joanne Shaw Taylor has been building a massive reputation lately with two dynamite albums already under her belt as well as stunning series of live shows including a feature alongside Annie Lennox at the Diamond Jubilee.

This, her third album, is probably her most important yet and will be followed up with a series of shows in the autumn. ‘Almost Always Never’ will be released on Ruf records on Sept 17th

Her producer this time around is Mike McCarthy (Spoon, … and you will know us, Patti Griffin) and his influence is there in a more soulful and possibly more emotive performance but the songs are all hers and they are superb.

‘Soul Station’ opens the album; a funky Blues with some sultry vocals and brilliant keyboards from David Garza underpinning her playing but that moves into ‘Beautifully Broken’ with a great Hammond sound and gently emotional vocals – this is almost in Dani Wilde territory and really shows her talents as a singer as well as a guitarist.

She can play lighter in style as well and with country touches on occasion; ‘Piece Of The Sky’ or ‘Army of One’ show her perfectly able to play with verve as well as power with some lovely little touches on the acoustic slide by bassist Billy White on ‘Army of One’.

‘Jealousy’ is dark and deep, enormously soulful and really powerful – maybe the most ‘personal’ song she has written; you cannot but feel that there is a story here.

‘Tied & Bound’ has the lady back in her pomp, strong riff and a great stomper while ‘Standing To Fall’ burns with real inner fire and the best guitar on the album.

“I’ve loved every album and recording experience I’ve had to date for many different reasons,” quoted the lady herself.

“I think what sets Almost Always Never apart from my two previous albums is the

songwriting process leading up to it. I’m so proud of these songs. All 12 of them combine into one body of work. It’s the perfect and truest example of who I am as an artist to date.”

The songs are definitely the strongest she has written and the development of her vocal style is nothing less than remarkable. This really is a fine album and there are a few numbers here that should prove to be monsters live.

Performance ********/10

Sound quality ********/10

Satisfaction ********/10

and I have tickets for her london Gig on 16th October .........bring it on !! :big_smile:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Strummer07 wrote:Talking Of Joanne Shaw Taylor .......17th September for release of "Almost Always Never"
Sound clips from 6 of the Shaw Taylor tracks at the foot of the linked page below.
http://bluesrevue.com/joanne-shaw-taylo ... r-special/

Thanks for the review link! :thumbsup:
Strummer07 wrote:and I have tickets for her london Gig on 16th October .........bring it on !! :big_smile:
Let us know how it goes! Hope it's a good 'un .... should be. :fingerscrossed:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!