EC - Still got the BLues

Talking Blues, news, cool links
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

EC - Still got the BLues

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Maybe I missed it before, anyway here's a YT link :)

cJp7vNP8vNQ
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MikeJackal

Re: EC - Still got the BLues

Post by MikeJackal »

Was nice of him to do a tribute and everything, but the song just doesn't sound the same without the blistering lead guitar to me though. And that organ sounds like the elevator version of the song.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
choucas09

Post by choucas09 »

Sorry MJ, but I sort of disagree. This treatment concentrates on the song itself and shows that it is a good song even without the blistering lead and as such it pays Gary Moore a considerable compliment. I mean EC is more than capable of putting his own blistering lead on this, basically he just chose to sing it.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Thanks for posting this HBL
This is from the 2011 tour and this video was shot on 25th May ..... I was at this concert on the 20th and frankly this was one of the highlights of the show for me - here's what I said in my Concert review...............
" In the sit down set , "Driftin' " was lovely ( As always) followed by what might have been best number of the night ."Still Got the Blues" ....Just brilliantly done.
and in the final set .. "Before you accuse me"

Unquote

Full thread .. here ...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=932

I can't see the point in comparing this song ...with Gary Moore and Les Pauls...
It was done as a tributeto GM, not as a competitior, It was performed in the middle of an Acoustic sit down set ....Hardly the place for "blistering anything"

I'd suggest this was EC's quiet, un-showy way of marking the sudden, sad demise of a fellow guitar slinger
It was beautifully done on the day.....a real tribute to Gary Moore and Erics way of doing it .................

No flowery words, just a lovely song, beautifully interpreted ...
Well performed..( Live) ..
Well sung , Lovely Martin sounds ...............It certainly worked for me !! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Liked the post HBL. I do enjoy listening to Eric Clapton's more acoustic numbers that I've heard him play in recent years - quite mellow and relaxed (just like me :big_smile: ). I feel this was a very heartfelt gesture. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

I wasn't having a go or knocking EC, just for me Gary was a one in a billion guitarist and this was one of his signature tunes that he played so amazingly. I simply meant Gary for me is the best and the song will never sound the same again, apologies for any confusion.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green