Rory Gallagher Irish Tour 74 Blu Ray

Talking Blues, news, cool links
deejaid

Rory Gallagher Irish Tour 74 Blu Ray

Post by deejaid »

I just picked up the Blu Ray edition of Rory Gallagher Irish Tour 74. All I can say is wow! What a player. And the filmmaking was excellent too. No crazy edits or camera zooms like the Cream Farewell Concert dvd.

I just started listening to Rory about two years ago and can't believe I never heard of him before that. How do great players like Rory get so marginalized in the USA that they are never played on classic rock radio? It is amazing I never heard of him before.

You European guys have known about the greatness of Rory forever and us Yanks never get to hear him :tears:

Right now I am listening to the the album "Blueprint" Walk on Hot Coals is incredible!
vancouverois

Re: Rory Gallagher Irish Tour 74 Blu Ray

Post by vancouverois »

I saw Rory Gallagher in the mid '80s, it was very nice to see him live. :thumbsup:
The encore were amazing :cool:
Jan 15th 2007
leftyslim

Post by leftyslim »

vancouverois wrote:I saw Rory Gallagher in the mid '80s, it was very nice to see him live. :thumbsup:
The encore were amazing :cool:
*Is jealous forever.*
deejaid wrote: And the filmmaking was excellent too. No crazy edits or camera zooms like the Cream Farewell Concert dvd.
I've heard that the Irish Tour movie suffered a little from the 'weird concert filming techniques of the 70s' syndrome, but it's good to hear it's not too bad! My Rory Gallagher video collection is only Live At Montreux right now, but with Irish Tour, Ghost Blues + The Beat Club Sessions and Rockpalast, I've got lots to look forward to!
I think one of the reasons that Rory is so little known is that he never really did anything popular, like going with the trends of the day; he always stuck to his (big) guns, and that's just one of the things that makes him my hero!
deejaid wrote:How do great players like Rory get so marginalized in the USA that they are never played on classic rock radio?
I've also never heard him on the radio, except a few times on satellite and on a local public radio station... it really is a shame. Haven't we heard enough Foreigner on the radio to last us forever? :lol:
"Ayyyyy ayyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyaaaie yaaaaaaie yaaaaaa, yaaa yyie yaaaaie yyaa yyyaaaa"
L. Staley

"And there is no excuse for boredom. I can read and listen to music. How could I ever be bored?"
J. Cunningham
deejaid

Post by deejaid »

I've also never heard him on the radio, except a few times on satellite and on a local public radio station... it really is a shame. Haven't we heard enough Foreigner on the radio to last us forever? :lol:
Exactly. But that's what got me into blues and not just blues-rock. I got tired of hearing the same old Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and the like that I started seeking out where classic rock came from which lead me to the blues.

But I don't understand why classic rock radio doesn't play Rory, Roy Buchanan or even Johnny Winter at all? :icon_whoknows: But I also like the fact that the average classic rock fan doesn't know these great players or their music. I feel like I have some inside knowledge to great music. :wink:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I don't understand either. Thanks to the 'net I sometimes listen to some Blues channels on live365.com, but they are all very repetitive.