News update and this might be of interest

Talking Blues, news, cool links
nxsneil

News update and this might be of interest

Post by nxsneil »

Been very hectic lately and haven't posted much but have been lurking and reading posts. Thought it was about time I contributed something and also use the opportunity to give an update on what I've been up to musically over the last year.

Myself and our lead Vox/Gtrist Matt have been contracted for the last 2 years to run the Weekend Warrior Program for the largest Music Store in Qld, this program for those of you who aren't aware is all about getting people back into playing music live & forming bands etc it typically targets Muso's and lapsed/learning Muso's who may have played/sung in their youth or never been on Stage previously and now have the time to get back into it again. See the following link for more info (it will save me typing it all in :whistle: )
http://www.ellaways.com.au/index.php?op ... &Itemid=23

If you're in this situation it would be worthwhile checking out what is available in your own location, I know they run the same program in the US but not sure on elsewhere.

We also run their Open Jam nights which are held once a month, this is run similar to most other nights of this type, however a complete backline is provided, Pearl drum kit, Congas, Keyboards, Fender Blues Jnr, Egnator and Mesa Boogie Express tube amps, MarkBass Bass amp, 5 foldback/Monitors, 5 Vox Mics (+ 1 for the Drummer, altho we don't generally encourage Drummers to sing! :big_smile: ) we also provide Fender Strat and Tele, Fender P Bass and a Maton Acoustic all instruments etc are mic'd or DI'd thru a 24 Channel Yamaha Desk to a 5000 Watt FOH system, the auditorium has 18 Par Cans for the light show which is also controlled from the mixing desk, the venue is also licensed and catered. Jammers can bring their own instruments too of course!
We get a broad cross section of talent turning up and everyone gets a go where possible. We form the Bands up on a Whiteboard to play 2 songs and they get called up on stage when it's their turn (the MC/Whiteboard controller has a wireless mic to facillitate this).

These programs, while very draining (We both run a seperate Business also and play in our own Band - Delta Express) have been an excellent way to network musically and have helped provide us with the 1 Gig per month that our Band targets. However Business is starting to get very busy and with the last 2011 Weekend Warrior Concert scheduled for the end of August we wont have the time available to re-contract for 2012. :icon_whoknows:

Band-wise we've been achieving our 1 Gig per month target and been doing some more recording, we have 2 gigs booked for August, one is a private function at Jules Bar on the 13/8 and the 2nd is at the Renegades MC Clubhouse on 20/8 (think Steppenwolf, AC/DC, Clapton, BB King & Classic Ausie Rock covers) :music2: ) this one should be interesting!

Will post some more in the Blues Room soon.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Someday I aint gonna worry my life anymore....