Better buy your covetted Acoustic guitar soon

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

Better buy your covetted Acoustic guitar soon

Post by Strummer07 »

Came across this fairly stunning statement from the CEO of Gibson

It appears in the latest e-mail newsletter from musicradar.com

Gibson head honcho Henry Juszkiewicz has opened up about his fears for the future of guitar manufacture as we know it.

In a story in the UK's Independent newspaper entitled Playing for time: Wood shortages threaten world's best guitars, Juszkiewicz was quoted as stating that, "The true wood guitar is disappearing quickly. We need to act now because it just won't be around in 10 years."

The story also states that many of Madagascar's 47 types of rosewood and more than 100 ebony species are threatened with extinction.

Although musical instrument manufacture accounts for only a tiny percentage of annual timber harvests in comparison to wood used for furniture and industrial purposes, some of the most highly-prized tonewoods that used to be commonplace in guitar construction are now scarce or endangered.

Brazilian rosewood, for example, was Gibson's fretboard material of choice for decades, but since it was CITES-listed in 1992, trade in anything other than old-growth material harvested pre-1992 (or obtained from stumps left over from trees felled before the ban) is illegal.

Unquote

Quite an amazing statement ... whether its made to shock or whether its true .I don't know

But I'd better get out and start tracking down the Martin 000-28EC that has my name on it !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
LeftyBlues

Re: Better buy your covetted Acoustic guitar soon

Post by LeftyBlues »

or better yet, you can tell your wife that since you're buying a 59 Les Paul, you're "saving the trees". Haha :D