One Night only - Tedeschi Trucks Band

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

One Night only - Tedeschi Trucks Band

Post by Strummer07 »

Stopping off ....on the way to the Montreuex Jazz festival , where they appear in Early July
Derek trucks and Susan tedeschi and their "wee" band took over the Shepherds Bush Empire in London last night.

Support :- Robert Randolph and the family band are a great “support” Band... load of energy and he really rips it up. They could do with a couple of great songs that people really associate with them... but a cracking start

The Trucks Tedeschi band .......came on promptly at 0845 and seemed genuinely glad to be here ....and launched into their set

Taken mostly from their latest Revalator CD .......great stuff ......mind you with a band of 11 on the stage its tough not to have a great BIG sound
Keyboards and Hammond Organ
2 x drummers
Bass
2x backing singers .......these are the 2 regular lead singers from the Derek Trucks Band,so great singers in their own right
Horn section ... Saxophone, Trumpet and Trombone ........belting stuff ..the trumpet player was in the groove all night !!
Derek Trucks .. Slide and lead guitar .......Gibson SG and Gibson Les Paul
Susan Tedeschi – Lead Vocals and Guitar Telecaster and another guitar that I couldn’t get to read the headstock of ....great voice !! ... great pipes !! .and not bad legs either !!

Bags of energy , tight band ...bearing in mind this was their 1st gig since arriving in the UK .and their only Gig here too .......they were very well received too

Susan is OK as a front woman ....absolutely great vocally .....but her introductions are not quite as tight or useful as they could be, perhaps a bit lame ????? and her accent is tough on a West London ear and she speaks so fast !! ... I think she might be a bit shy ....with Derek alongside her................. .he says nothing !! ................doesn’t even have a Mic near him !! ......no pedals , no nuttin .....just his guitar and that is it.
Susan said they really ought to play something that everyone knew ( they’d been told they needed to do that !!!???? ) .....and the crowd , who were really loving it kinda shouted back .Why ?? ...”just keep doin what your doin !!!” ....and they launched into a pretty stunning Stevie Wonder “Uptight ( Everything’s Alright!)
Which was pretty magical

Great set and “Midnight in Harlem” off the Revelator cd was brilliant
This really is a whistle stop tour ......I think they’ve just built a few gigs around a performance at The Montreux Jazz festival in July where they appear alongside Santana and a BBKing

Good night out !! ..........it was nice that as we arrived at the gig ,,,,,,,the tour truck is always parked down a small alleyway to the left of the main entrance ( and its is small too !.... must be a nightmare for the drivers !!) I looked down and there standing by the Truck , just 20 yards away .....was...................Derek Trucks chatting to a few folk , roadies I think and Susan was there too ......they seemed in good spirits ! He is quite tall and she is quite small ...his hair is longer than hers and amazingly blonde !

Check ‘em out if they get to perform near you ......Vienna , Montreux, Stuttgart , Bonn, Rotterdam and Paris

A few very average slightly blurred photo's .... I have no idea how to resize these things ( But done thanks VB.. still a bit blurred ... I must've had the "hippy hippy skakes" ... but in my defence i don't like using flash in theatres as it just annoys everyone !! )
Attachments
DSC01517 (Small) (2).JPG
DSC01517 (Small) (2).JPG (45.92 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
DSC01513 (Small).JPG
DSC01513 (Small).JPG (60.83 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
DSC01514 (Small).JPG
DSC01514 (Small).JPG (72.08 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
DSC01515 (Small).JPG
DSC01515 (Small).JPG (59.45 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
DSC01519 (Small).JPG
DSC01519 (Small).JPG (63.27 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
DSC01523 (Small).JPG
DSC01523 (Small).JPG (69.77 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
DSC01524 (Small).JPG
DSC01524 (Small).JPG (70.23 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
Last edited by Strummer07 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Re: One Night only - Tedeschi Trucks Band

Post by VikingBlues »

You manage to find some great gigs to go and see Strummer - of course you're nearer to major areas of population where blues is acceptable ... as for Edinburgh - well, I'll probably be griping about that later.

From what I've heard of recording and videos of the two of them they're classy performers in their own right - by the sound of what you said they work well together as a team too.

:thumbsup: Glad you enjoyed it - it's good to get reports on these things - if any of them venture into this part of the world (though why they would? :icon_whoknows: ) I'll know something about them.

BTW - the picture sizing. Right click picture on your PC - select Open With and choose Paint - On Image Menu choose Resize and Skew - Change Horixontal and Vertical to a lower percentage than 100% - I usually use about 20% to 25% for mine to work - Save as a new name to avoid overwriting the original and upload the new smaller picture.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Nice! I'll bet that was a good show. I don't go to very many concerts, but that is one I would have made an effort to see. I love Derek's tone. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

What a BIG band! they're gonna by here in my town to headline a festival in August or September. It's outside in the streets and it's free!

My son plays bass in a band that's booked on one of the stages. Not sure if it's the same day or stage but I'll be down there anyway. It's a 10 minute bicycle ride! Anybody wanna camp in my back yard?

Glad you enjoyed them!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

oneeyedslide wrote: Anybody wanna camp in my back yard?
Maybe...
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
revdc

Post by revdc »

I was there with my 19-year old son - we both thoroughly enjoyed the gig. Robert Randolph was on brilliant form - a slightly different line-up of the band from when we saw him at Hard Rock Calling in 2008. Most of his (short) set was taken from his new album 'We walk this road'. We both said that the main act had better be good to stand with Robert Randolph - and boy, were they! Derek and Susan were both on top form, and the 11-piece band worked really well as a unit, and as individual musicians. Each had a chance to shine during the two-hour set - mostly taken from their new album 'Revelator', but including an immense version of 'Anyday', featuring Mike Mattison and Susan on vocals, and some remarkable solo stuff from members of the band. It's difficult to single out individuals for special mention, but I was especially taken by the brilliant trumpet player, Otiel Burbridge on bass (surely one of the best rock/blues/jazz bassists playing today), and the two drummers, who shared a superb 'duel' at one point in the set. The sound quality in the Empire was excellent - no ringing in the ears on the train home! A cracking evening's entertainment all round. If either of these bands comes anywhere near you, sell your bed to buy tickets and get there - you won't be disappointed!
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

RevDC Hey there and welcome to the coolest forum pretty much ...........well ....anywhere :wave:

So we enjoyed the same gig on Wednesday .....and what a blast it was!! :thumbsup: ...

and

We both shared a lovely experince with our sons too .....Mine is a tad older than yours ......like x2 !!...But there again I am also probably now considered a "senior" ..........But hecky thump !! age is just a number ! :oldie:
and ..
coincidentally the "Common Goround" does not end there either ............................I was also at the "Hard Rock Calling" event in 2008 and have a "T" shirt to prove it ...Super afternoon and evening..how can .....
Robert Randolf, ( Impressive 1st time I'd seen him !! ..Good) ......
Jason Mraz ( belting set ) ......
John Mayer ( Top Notch) ,
Sheryl Crow ( Iconic and very very good) and ............
Eric Clapton ( Brilliant set .. sensational encore with Crow and Mayer ) ....not fail to totally blow you away

We should compare notes sometime !

Say a bit more about you and the Blues, what brings you to the forum ?? ...............are you a player or a gigging afficienado ?? :big_smile:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011