Hi from Mexico.

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
benjolin

Hi from Mexico.

Post by benjolin »

Hello everybody.

I came to this place, because I found the scale tool and it´s awesome.

I had some trouble with it and I signed up... but first I came to say hi.

I´m from northwest of Mexico, 200 miles to the Arizona border. I am a 100% nylon string, classical-spanish firgerstyle guitar player :music1: who lately has been focusing on blues guitar. Learning to play harmonica :harp: had a lot do with that... now i´m married with both instruments.

I have seen a couple of links to fingerstyle blues lessons but if you can give more links, audio recomendations, tips or advices are very welcome.

:wave:
VikingBlues

Re: Hi from Mexico.

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum Benjolin.

Very friendly place, but can be very quiet at times - hope you get the advice you need.

I've only been playing acoustic for less than a year and for some reason I've latched onto Celtic fingerstyle music rather than blues for this - so I can't really help. I'll keep a lookout in case I see anything of use to you. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: to the forum!

Thanks for letting me know about the generator issue, I think I fixed the problem, please try again.

And yes, it's a bit calm these days, it's holiday time! :dance:
benjolin

Post by benjolin »

Thanks 12 and Viking for your replies. :D

And yes, I checked the generator and it´s fixed, both custom notes and degrees (not grades, duh!). :thumbsup: I like to play a lot with custom scales and your tool is great for that. :music1:

I´ll be around.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

You're welcome!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Welcome Benjolin. I'm from northern New Mexico (which many often confuse with your home). I play a lot of fingerstyle blues, but no nylon string stuff. I play mostly electric and any acoustic stuff is usually on a resonator.
Looking forward to hearing what you like. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

:welcome: from Sweden. Hope you find something interesting here.

/MR
benjolin

Post by benjolin »

Thanks for your replies.
Welcome Benjolin. I'm from northern New Mexico (which many often confuse with your home). I play a lot of fingerstyle blues, but no nylon string stuff. I play mostly electric and any acoustic stuff is usually on a resonator.
Looking forward to hearing what you like. :thumbsup:
Well I would love to transpose fingerstyle blues to my nylon guitar. I got a custom made Flamenca Blanca with wood friction pegs (it´s a pain in the ass to tune but a candy to the eye... YOLO!) and it has a HUGE sound.

One of my teachers has encouraged me to play blues music (and I really like blues) and even to grab an electric. But I just love the acoustic guitar, it has a more personal sound. Besides, I have worked on my right hand so much that I don´t want to grab a pick ever again :tongue:

If you can recomend me some basic lessons, links, or hearing material I would thank you very much.

pd. Oh by the way... I´m a Breaking Bad fan, so I think everybody will know now where NM is. :cool:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

benjolin wrote:Well I would love to transpose fingerstyle blues to my nylon guitar. I got a custom made Flamenca Blanca with wood friction pegs (it´s a pain in the ass to tune but a candy to the eye... YOLO!) and it has a HUGE sound.

One of my teachers has encouraged me to play blues music (and I really like blues) and even to grab an electric. But I just love the acoustic guitar, it has a more personal sound. Besides, I have worked on my right hand so much that I don´t want to grab a pick ever again :tongue:
Don't ignore the possibilities of playing electric with the fingers for blues - there's an article on this site about that here - http://12bar.de/cms/tutorial/fingerstyle/. If it's OK for Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck, Duane Allman, Albert King, Albert Collins, and John Lee Hooker it should be good enough for us ordinary mortals. There's a good few more famous names to be seen in that article.

I used to only play electric with a pick, until my wife asked me why I didn't use the fingers as she thought it would be more expressive using fingers in direct contact with the guitar - a great piece of advice that worked incredibly well for me. :cool:

A plus of the electric guitar for blues is the greater ease and range of effect from bends and the sustain which brings long slow bends into the arena. But I can understand how you don't want to leave the sound of an acoustic - and nylon sound is so VERY different to steel.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
benjolin

Post by benjolin »

Hi Viking... you can name Eric Johnson too, who plays a lot of hibrid and fingerpicking.

Yes, picking with your fingers gives you a lot of... how can i say it... different tones. And the playing is a lot more personal.

And that´s exactly what my teacher told me about the range of effects of the electric guitar.... but.... the classical nylon gave an spirit of "less is more". I lack of bending and sustain... BUT I PLAY HARMONICA!!! :D Besides, there are a lot of effects between your hands, your guitar and your lonely heart. (haha! that´s a good blues phrase!)

A lot of guitar players see the nylon acoustic as a "beginner guitar" because the sound of comercial one´s it´s very dull. But if you look for concert guitars of the range of $500-800usd. you find a great sounding guitar.

I´ll check the tutorial. :music1:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

The right hand technique is not that important for Blues as it is for flamenco or classical guitar playing. Both fingers and picks have their advantages, but you can use both, and some players even switch between both while playing.
Blues on a nylon string is possible, but it just sounds better on steel string guitars. :music1: