- Henry Ford
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: Welcome

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Reverend wrote:I Have just joined and looks good to me :cool:
:welcome: :wave:
Welcome
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Hi Rev/48 - I'm here too.
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Hey Jim - I just read your post about the comment your DW made after your jam session. Believe me, I completely understand how a simple comment can ruin an entire experience. People often don't get over them for days, weeks or months.

I just want to tell you I sympathize, but just be happy you have people to play music with. Back in my serious musician days music was always a part of my life. All of my friends play(ed) and every get together was eventually a jam session, or people singing to a paino or guitar player, etc.

These days I live in a normal world and all people I know do not play any instruments. I have no one to jam with ever.

Musicians are a separate breed, and "normal" people just don't get it. They don't understand our obsession for perfection and they get jealous of the time we spend on our music because they want us to pay attention to them. People who are not artists, however, (I am sorry to say) get their vicarious thrills from other artists, but they don't really understand the process of creating art. Their concept of "talent" often doesn't incorporate anything concerning hard work and dedication. They just think talented people have a gift and they don't have to try hard to do what they do (we all know that isn't true).

I have learned that you can't listen to "normal" people when it comes to music - they don't hear it the same way we do. So, the best thing to do is to just keep it kind of separate from them.

My wife has been supportive, but she has also sabotaged a few bands I have been in - not intentionally, but just with a few comments she has made. Women are just that way - its called being married. Once they have you they feel like they can control your life including your friends. Your goal is let her think she does, but not to let anything she says or does ever really get under your skin where your music is concerned. And it probably is best to keep her separate, but don't say it's because she did anything wrong. I suggest you act like you are doing her a favor by not keeping her up late at night.

And as far as making faces when playing. We can't help it, but I actually have had to try to learn to relax.. When I am trying to execute a really hard fingering, sometimes it actually causes me to choke on my own spit. It was years before I realized how often this happens.

So, I try having different frames of mind when I am playing. I try to relax. I pretend I am the listener, for example. Or I try getting ahead of the beat (I tend to actaully lag the beat too often). I think facial expression have a lot to do with trying to play in time to the rhythm.

More practice - and maybe trying not to make too many faces while doing it, may be a good idea. The main thing is that the more we practice the less "strain" there is in playing so the fewer faces we make.

Or just show her a video of BB King who always opens his mouth and sets his lower jaw fully to the left with every single note he plays.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

In other words - no women, no Blues. :whistle:
LzyBlue

Post by LzyBlue »

:oldie: :peace:
Last edited by LzyBlue on Sun May 30, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by davidvg »

Back in 12bar and found ir renewed... :yikes: It looks great! :cool:
I didn't post very much (ok, I didn't post at all) but now I'm returning to blues I hope I will share my advances.
Thank you guys for helping us learning The Blues :D
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks - and welcome back! :wave:

It's a bit quit currently, I had to fix some board software errors, but I'm still trying to get a decent contribution to HBL's last upload. :big_smile:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:welcome: back :)
12bar wrote:Thanks - and welcome back! :wave:
I'm still trying to get a decent contribution to HBL's last upload. :big_smile:
:drool: :drool:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
JakeJ

Post by JakeJ »

Hello
Been lurking around for a while and thought I would say Hi to everyone from Northwest Montana... JakeJ :music1:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

JakeJ wrote:Hello
Been lurking around for a while and thought I would say Hi to everyone from Northwest Montana... JakeJ :music1:
:welcome: to the forum Jakej. Be interesting to know what type of gear and type of blues gets your vote?

Hope you enjoy it here - BTW it'll be a bit quiet just now with it being the weekend. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Welcome :welcome: JakeJ.
Montana eh? Is it spring there yet?
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Hi there JakeJ :thumbsup:
Welcome to you ..............You've joined a nice international 'family' here

Tell us a bit more about the blues scene in Montana.
Enjoy !
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
JakeJ

Post by JakeJ »

Hi Guys
The Blues is alive and well here in Montana... We have a few blues bands and a blues bar in Kalispell... I play with a couple of guys that like the blues also so were good... It's mostly country around here but a good 12bar and a bluesy country beat nobody notices...
Spring in Montana??? It ain't July yet... I live 13 miles from Glacier National Park, I see fresh snow on the mountains this morning and it's 40 degrees... we should get one or two spring days this year...
For Gear that I use... it's a bunch as I have a recording studio in my house...
I have a bunch of Fender Strats. MIM and American... lets see 7 or 8...10
they don't let you live here with out a few Fender Telecasters also...
I have a Gibson Les Paul and a Epiphone 335 also...
For that Acoustic sound I use a Tacoma Acoustic Electric through a California Blond Acoustic amp... I use this amp with my Yamaha keyboard also as it has XLR's out to my mixer...
For Amps: Let see I have a 65 Twin Reverb when I want to let the folks down the road know were playing music... But my pride and Joy is my Fender Cyber Twin Se that I have had for the past 6 years... I took the 12AX7 tubes out and replaced them with 12AU7's which took the brightness and all the high gain sound away and warmed this amp up to a Blues Tone Machine...
On the Bass side of things I use a Fender Precision Bass and a Fender Bassman...
Plus some other stuff from my High School days back in the 60's... 35 watt Univox head through 2 Marshall 4X12's couple of Strat Copys from the 60's... I'm sure if I went looking around in my closet I could find a few more things... But's that's about it...
So were cool...JakeJ :music1:
http://www.jakej.com
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Welcome Jake :) :welcome:

Uhm... pictures and music say more then a 1000 words... :drool:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

That's a mouth-watering sounding collection you've got there Jake. And a recording studio too - sounds like heaven to me. :banana:

Like HBL said, I'm sure a lot of us would be keen to see / hear some of these. :drool:

[And look HBL - another Cyber Twin!]
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Ghehe, I was just waiting until someone else would notice :chicken: :amp: :chicken:
:high5:
He Jake, are you also using the Cyber Commander software ?
JakeJ

Post by JakeJ »

Hey HBL
Long time since we've communicated over on the Fender Forum... Yea I use Cyber Commander... I have been running it for over a year now and Love it... It opened the cyber twin up to what's going on inside... Fender should of brought out a software package like this years ago... These amps were designed to be controlled from a computer... Don't be surprised if a few more Cyber Twin users show up it's only took us ten years to start to figure out what this amp can do and how to mod it to our own playing styles... But now guys know that they have a choice in different tubes 12AX7 100% gain 12AT7 60% gain 12AY7 40% gain 12AU7% 20% gain... Your now able to set your amp to your own playing style... I use the 12AU7's in my Cyber Twin... There's not a preset that I don't like, it's as quiet as a church mouse even on the high gain settings, now the presence knob is awesome for tuning in tone... The Tweed Drive circuits are a Blues mans dream... Don't get me started lets just say the only way I will part with my Cyber Twin now is when there throwing dirt in my face and my Cyber Twin better be right there beside me...Jakej
www.jakej.com
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

It's the Cyber Twin twins! :cool:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

It's been a long ime indeed :)
Strange it didn't take me to long to find me "my" settings... but maybe that's bacause I'm a techno nerd :yikes:
I've been thinking of putting in some 12AU7's although I like the sound of the ECC83 in my Blackheart a lot to.
EBM is on here to, but due to health issues he more off then on. Anyway Cybers are slowly starting to become the majority of amps over here.
I guess in a couple of years when Fender stopped producing them they will reach cult/vintage status and have a value boost... people really don't know what they are missing.

I had quick listen to some of your stuff and darn, thats some fancy playing on there :thumbsup: