Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: Welcome

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

VikingBlues wrote:It's the Cyber Twin twins! :cool:

grin, 3 eyed twinnie :aha:

but, don't forget EBM... he has a Cybertwin to :banana:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
JakeJ

Post by JakeJ »

Thanks HBL
I've been listening to your songs for a long time now... We tend to think a lot alike... I like slow blues and ballads... When I need inspiration I go to your soundclick page... you have no idea how good your stuff sounds in my studio....JakeJ :music1:
www.jakej.com
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:shy: Thanks Jake.. wow :big_smile:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:
VikingBlues wrote:It's the Cyber Twin twins! :cool:

grin, 3 eyed twinnie :aha:

but, don't forget EBM... he has a Cybertwin to :banana:
Damn! It's the Cyber Twins twinned with EbM. Almost still works. :alright:

These Cyber Twin people are taking over!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Hey folks! Great forum here!! Just registered and thought I'd say hi from Colorado.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

oneeyedslide wrote:Hey folks! Great forum here!! Just registered and thought I'd say hi from Colorado.
:welcome: to the forum oneeyedslide - hope you like it here. :big_smile:

Be interesting to know what type of gear and type of blues gets your vote? At the risk of either being totally wrong, or stating the obvious could I guess from your profile name you're not averse to slide playing? :icon_whoknows:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

VikingBlues wrote:
oneeyedslide wrote:Hey folks! Great forum here!! Just registered and thought I'd say hi from Colorado.
:welcome: to the forum oneeyedslide - hope you like it here. :big_smile:

Be interesting to know what type of gear and type of blues gets your vote? At the risk of either being totally wrong, or stating the obvious could I guess from your profile name you're not averse to slide playing? :icon_whoknows:
Welcome :welcome:

Mhh one eyed slide... I will try the next obvious part of your nickname and ask If I'm right in assuming that you are joining the ranks of the Halfblind guitarplayers here @ 12bar ? :D
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: to JakeJ and oneeyedslide ! Still too busy with my house, but someday my guitars will be played again... :lefty:
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll try to answer your questions briefly and simply. First off I'm 62 and computer illiterate. I know, nobody asked that. But it may help explain my stumbling around this internet thing. I thought typewriters were pushing the limits of human capabilities!
Viking Blues, hello to Scotland from Colorado! Gear that gets my vote is pretty much anything that can make a noise. If it's custom built or strung together with parts you took off the old lawn mower then it's even better (I'm a life-long hot rodder and it carries over to the rest of my life-I can't leave well enough alone). I have four guitars right now. My acoustic is a law suit era no-name copy of a martin dread with an adjustable bridge and a zero fret right after the nut on the fret board. It has frets with wear-notches that make them look like sawblades. I also have three solid bodies. One started life as a squier affinity strat. It now has two texas specials and a pearly gates with home brew wiring. It's now a Chinese-American Fat Texas Special!
I also have a Dean Evo with two humbucker-size P-90s in it and a stone stock Epi SG400 (Korean) which I absolutely love. I play 'em through an Epiphone Valve Jr. which of course is highly modded (can't leave well enough alone), and a Bugera 1990 tube head on a home brew 4x12 cab. This stuff works for me but then I'm half deaf too!
Gotta run right now but I'll get back later with a long answer for HBL about visual and more general blindness! And 12bar, strat clones work well for demolishing walls! They won't even go out of tune! Thanks again for the welcome!
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

This forum is hotting up !! ..Welcome one eyed slide :thumbsup:

Montana one minute .Colorado the next ......just great how this forum and the internet generally connects like minded folk

One Eyed slide .......62 AND computer illiterate Eh !! ..that is me to a 'T' .......mind you its sounds as if you are handy with a soldering iron and enjoy tinkering about inside amps .......plugging into one is about as far as I go.

We just need to be aware of a potential "March of the Cyber Twins" ...........sounds like a sequel to Star Wars :yikes:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:welcome: oneeyedslide. I am from a short distance south of you (compared to the rest of this forum). I am somewhat computer challanged as well. :think: I like to do some tinkering too. I am the owner of the FrankenStrat (or it owns me, I'm never too sure).
Looking forward to hearing more from you. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Welcome JakeJ and Oneeyedslide! :welcome: I expect you'll find this to be a cool forum.

There's some really good blues players here. There's also a contingent of players (like me, at age 67) learning to play and getting lots of help from the others.

I was trying to imagine this morning what it would look like if we all got together for a jam. How many different countries, what a diversity of backgrounds, all the different blues sensibilities, the various skill levels. I don't know if we could make music - but I think we could have a really good party. :music2: :bb: :beer:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

oneeyedslide wrote:Viking Blues, hello to Scotland from Colorado! Gear that gets my vote is pretty much anything that can make a noise. If it's custom built or strung together with parts you took off the old lawn mower then it's even better (I'm a life-long hot rodder and it carries over to the rest of my life-I can't leave well enough alone). I have four guitars right now. My acoustic is a law suit era no-name copy of a martin dread with an adjustable bridge and a zero fret right after the nut on the fret board. It has frets with wear-notches that make them look like sawblades. I also have three solid bodies. One started life as a squier affinity strat. It now has two texas specials and a pearly gates with home brew wiring. It's now a Chinese-American Fat Texas Special!
I also have a Dean Evo with two humbucker-size P-90s in it and a stone stock Epi SG400 (Korean) which I absolutely love. I play 'em through an Epiphone Valve Jr. which of course is highly modded (can't leave well enough alone), and a Bugera 1990 tube head on a home brew 4x12 cab. This stuff works for me but then I'm half deaf too!
Ohhhh - the pain of guitar building and modding. :yikes:
The bug that never goes away. It's been less than a year since my last self build and I'm not over it yet - I get frequent pangs. Copies of Les Paul, Jazz Bass, Tele, and Strat (hardtailed). But ... the quality of my building meant they looked better than they played, although they were pretty playable, and they've all bit the dust by my selling parts to help pay for new gear built by people that really know what they're doing!
Never had the nerve to mod an amp - I'm too squeamish about being electrocuted. :alright:
Your modded gear sounds fascinating - looking forward to some seeing and hearing.

Here's a couple of pics of the dreams that came to nothing.
Attachments
Defunct copy hardtail strat - self made body.
Defunct copy hardtail strat - self made body.
100_1818_small.jpg (76.99 KiB) Viewed 18134 times
Defunct copy jazz bass - self made body (an old table top).
Defunct copy jazz bass - self made body (an old table top).
100_1726_small.jpg (60.53 KiB) Viewed 18134 times
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Beautiful strat & bass Viking Blues. Guitar building can become an obsession. I think I've shaken my altering of things guitar for now. Only so much time and I'm pretty happy with what I've got for now... As far as the inside of amps goes, It is kinda scary with the stories you hear about screwdrivers being vaporized and such. Information on draining caps seemed hard to find and you know people will write anything on the internet, but I'm still here so I guess the info I found was correct. I'm more scared of getting on a stage than poking around inside of amps!
anyway I have a couple more questions to answer about the moniker "oneeyedslide". Viking Blues asked about the slide reference. I love slide but I have a long way to go to be good at it. I've played (rather casually) since I was eleven. Several years ago I encountered CTS in all its glory. Short story is nerve entrapment, surgery, irreversible nerve damage, etc. Can't bend my wrist, no feeling in fingers, fingers actually shrinking or kind of flattening out at the ends. So slide now is my way of adapting or "spitting in the winds of fate" so to speak.
For Half-blindlefty. I lost an eye in 1979 though my friends say I was half-blind in general even before that. And yes, I have two friends though one of them is dead now. Strummer, Mojojim, and Blinboy thanks much for the welcomes. This is a great place. Gotta go...til next time!
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:welcome: Welcome to the forum JakeJ and Oneeyedslide.... You are going to really love this place... some really great Blues players and loads of helpful information. I'm another "Geaser" (just a youngster at 62) but I have only been playing guitar since I was 61. They say it's never too late to learn something new. Nevertheless... I'm learning a lot and I rely on this forum for all my questions. You will enjoy this group no matter if you are a beginner (like me) or an old veteran.
MojoJim wrote:I was trying to imagine this morning what it would look like if we all got together for a jam. How many different countries, what a diversity of backgrounds, all the different blues sensibilities, the various skill levels. I don't know if we could make music - but I think we could have a really good party. :music2: :bb: :beer:
Great idea MojoJim... We could have an international 12Bar Blues Convention.... :big_smile:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
JakeJ

Post by JakeJ »

Sounds like a lot of us are on the south side of life, I'm 58... so we've been around the block a couple of times... Boy tell me about it you walk in my house and people think I own part of pearl vision I have glasses to find my glasses, every where you look there's a pair of glasses... Different strengths for seeing different stuff...
Same way with the ole fingers 40 years of working in the woods has taken it's toll... Smashed and broken digits now we pay the price... I would love to do a sweep at a 150 bpm but it ain't gonna happen.... Thank goodness for slow blues...JakeJ
www.jakej.com
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

oneeyedslide wrote:Several years ago I encountered CTS in all its glory. Short story is nerve entrapment, surgery, irreversible nerve damage, etc. Can't bend my wrist, no feeling in fingers, fingers actually shrinking or kind of flattening out at the ends. So slide now is my way of adapting or "spitting in the winds of fate" so to speak.
Glad to know you're finding ways of kicking back at fate :thumbsup: - damn to hell this getting older business. I saw my father give up the piano with problems with finger joints and pain - this was someone who could have a good go at the likes of Mozart and Beethoven Piano concertos. I panic a bit about what the future might hold for my ability to keep playing guitar and sometimes think I'm trying too hard to maximise what progress I can make - I know I get a bit obsessed as a result.
JakeJ wrote:Thank goodness for slow blues
Seconded ... motion carried. Good website btw - haven't had time for more than a quick skim yet, but some lovely sounds and moods. :thumbsup:
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

The "shag" huh. Sounds like a scene a photographer would die for! Seeing expressions of the human spirit like that is always encouraging to me. And arthritic pain? That can be pretty overpowering wherever it crops up. I'd be screaming instead of whining. Yeah, getting old is big-time "dues-paying". A person's gotta pick his or her battles, but sometimes standing up to to one you know you're gonna end up loosing makes loosing not so bad.

Hey VB. (I gotta figure out the trick you folks do here where you refer back to someones previous post when you respond) You mentioned worrying about being obsessed with maximizing your progress. Think of it as "focusing on your goals" instead. My wife thinks I obsess over things too. I worried about it until I realized that if I was actually moving from having a goal toward attaining a goal it wasn't really an obsession. Seems like an obsession should involve unrealistic expectations and unobtainable goals. Of course that's what my wife thinks of my guitar playing!! Anyway, one persons "obsession" is another persons "focusing on attaining" his or goal.

And Blindboy, where 'bouts is your digs in New Mexico? I'm in Fort Collins which is at the base of the eastern foothills 70 miles north of Denver and 40 miles south of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Was just reading about your last open jam. What a scene! Things can sure turn around sometimes. I've heard your Frankenstrat and I'm curious as to what's under the hood. Yours sounds great. My Squier sounds like a chain-smoking pit-bull in comparison!!

Spose I better go before I turn into a pumpkin. Later.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

oneeyedslide wrote:(I gotta figure out the trick you folks do here where you refer back to someones previous post when you respond)
Just hit the "quote" button of the post you want to refer to and delete all words you don't need.

Wise words about obsessions btw!
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

12bar wrote:
oneeyedslide wrote:(I gotta figure out the trick you folks do here where you refer back to someones previous post when you respond)
Just hit the "quote" button of the post you want to refer to and delete all words you don't need.

Wise words about obsessions btw!

Thanks 12bar! And btw your slide playing gives me goose bumps! WOW!! (good goose bumps of course)